• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portland to Santa Cruz

TimMcD

Hey I am Portland area golfer and I'm going on a little trip down to Santa Cruz and everything in between.

Wednesday 17th
12:00 noon- Leave house
11:00 PM- Arrive in Auburn, CA (NE of Sacramento)
Thursday 18th
9:30 AM- Play round at 1. Auburn Regional Park
1:00 PM- Drive to Orangevale (NE of Sacramento), Play round at 2. Shady Oaks Park
6:00 PM- Finish round, drive 1.5 hours to Napa, CA(NE of San Fran)
Friday 19th
9:00 AM - Play round @ 3. Skyline Wilderness Park
12:00 PM- Finish Round, drive to San Fran and play round at 4. Golden Gate Park
6:00 PM- Drive to Novato, CA (N of San Fran)
Saturday 20th
9:00 AM- Play round at 5. Stafford Lake Park, then doubles tourney
4:30 PM- Explore San Francisco
8:00 PM- Drive 1.5 hours to Delaveaga Park in Santa Cruz
Sunday 21st
9:00 AM- Play doubles round at 6. Delaveaga Park
4:00 PM- Drive N 5 hours to Anderson, CA, and camp
Monday 22nd
9:00 AM- Play a round at 7. Anderson River Park, explore Lake Shasta
3:00 PM- Drive 3.5 hours N to Grants Pass, OR, and camp
Tuesday 23rd
9:00 AM- Play round at 8. Tom Pearce Park
12:00 PM- Go to the Tunzi's and spend night
Wednesday 24th
9:00 AM- Mob home

I would love to play with someone who already knows these courses so if you want to meet up for a round that would be awesome. Or if you have any tips, info, or suggestions, leave me a post. Thanks!
-Tim

I will ba arround auburn on the 17th and 18th. maybe we can get together and play a round there. I will be there some time in those 2 days anyhow. In any case, good choice stopping at stafford lake. Its just an amazing course, at the best time of year to play it.

Im not sure if I am still going to play Tom Pearce much less camp there. I might just play tom pearce next time im at whistlers.

It sounds like a great trip, though I can't imagine driving through there and not stopping at The Redwood Curtain near Humbolt State University. Truly a one-of-a-kind discgolf experience.

thanks for the suggestion, it looks like a beautiful park. Its just that its 3 hours off I5 and I will be strapped for time as it is. I will save it for another trip.

Your missing out. The Curtain is a unique experence, and there are many other courses both on the way over the 299 and on the way down the 101.

Your missing out. The Curtain is a unique experence, and there are many other courses both on the way over the 299 and on the way down the 101.

Agreed... Go down the I-5 to Sac and then over to Santa Cruz... then drive up the 101 (one of the prettiest drives... and stacked with great courses and great breweries it's whole length... plus the redwoods - you could camp in Redwood National Park... plus you get to see parts of the california coast) which will deliver you to Grant's Pass.

DSCJNKY

I played

day 1: Auburn, Shady Oaks, and Rocklin
day 2: Stafford Lake Park
day 3: Delaveaga, La Raza, Hellyer
day 4: Golden Gate, Skyline
day 5: Redwood Curtain

thanks for the input.

Trip recap

Stafford Lake and Skyline were both my favorite in terms of the scenery. Stafford Lake is just awesome with the green rolling hills and beautiful trees. It kicked my ass but it was probably my favorite course on the trip.
Delaveaga was my favorite in terms of having cool holes and a good variety. Maybe part of my attraction to Dela was because my partner and I in the weekly dubs shot a ten down.
Hellyer and La Raza were two of the best nine holers I have ever played. I really enjoyed playing those with some really cool locals.
All the sac area courses were really nice and I would love to have them near my house. alot of technical shots at shady oaks.
Golden Gate was really fun and in a cool setting. It seemed a little bit too easy with not much length though. I dominated that course shooting a 49.
Finally, the Redwood Curtain. The setting in the redwoods was awesome.I was disappointed with the course though. Terrible signage, tone poles on many holes(I like baskets!), and I generally just didnt like the holes.

Overall, I had an awesome time on the trip, playing 160+ holes in 5 days.

^Yeah... the curtain will do that too you your first time there. My first time there I was like, "WTF is that thing?" And the layout is confusing. The upside is that you drove through Humboldt... played in the redwoods... saw beautiful parts of California and the California Coast... Drove through a National Park... And Hopefully ran into a hippie who treated you "KIND"ly.
DSCJNKY

You should have sent me a message before you played the Curtain. I could have showed you around there (which makes a huge diffrence in the curtain) and taken you to play a few of the more secretive courses in Humboldt. Why don't people use the course guides feature?

^Especially when visiting Humboldt. The first thing I'd want to do is find a local who knows where the good stuff's at.
DSCJNKY

I put my stuff on here for a reason...

If people don't want to use the resources given to them than that's thier own loss.

Latest posts