• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Possible New Method to Break in Discs.

StarFirebird

Banned
I was just pondering this the other day.

I have two brand new leopards that I bought to replace my old collectible ones.I really want to get them to their "true flight" pattern that my old reliable ones were at.

I just wonder if it would be ok to stand the disc on edge, then take a Small Hammer and hit(tapping) the edge of the disc all the way around. Then repeat. The Hammer I have has a smooth head so the disc won't be receiving damage like hitting it on concrete or against a wall or trees.

Could this be a new way to break in discs and would something like this be ok to do?

Personally I would take them out to a wooded course and just throw a couple rounds with just the Leopards. You will learn their flight patterns and beat them in at the same time.

Also this:
A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

That said^

The best way to "season" a disc without actually using it is to manually flex the rim back and forth for a prolonged period of time. I do not mean bend it hard like you would when you "tune" a disc. I mean just light flexing of the rim up and down all the way around the circumference of the disc. This simulates the bending that would occur during the impact of landing without actually causing aesthetic wear. This is not exact nor the quickest way to do it, but it is actually a better way to gradually season a disc vs. just hammering a fresh piece of plastic into a tree / a wall over and over. This flexing is more akin to playing with the disc for a long period of time and slowly wearing it in. Blasting your plastic into trees / wall / pavement can cause large jumps in stability from the trauma to the PLH / wing.

Last edited:
Put it in the dyer no heat just air. Premium plastic like champ or star take 30 mins. The tumble beats the disc in perfectly to get rid of that over stability most discs come with.

^that's actually not a bad idea but imagine it is LOUD as heck... Dryers work better with more stuff in them knocking eachother around though so with a pair of shoes or something would be ideal and not need so long I would think.. even 2-3 discs vs just one rolling around solo-- I don't think I could handle the sound though I'd have to set it and leave the house lol. Hoodie zippers are bad enough'

I find a good way to naturally season a disc and not be brutal with it, is to throw a bunch of close spin putts into the chains.

i beat in my kc aviar pretty good just by throwing it straight up into the air and making it land on its sides multiple times.
I guess you probably dont want to do this to a premium plastic driver though.

^that's actually not a bad idea but imagine it is LOUD as heck... Dryers work better with more stuff in them knocking eachother around though so with a pair of shoes or something would be ideal and not need so long I would think.. even 2-3 discs vs just one rolling around solo-- I don't think I could handle the sound though I'd have to set it and leave the house lol. Hoodie zippers are bad enough'

I find a good way to naturally season a disc and not be brutal with it, is to throw a bunch of close spin putts into the chains.

Thats what laundry mats are for and 75 cents.