• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post pics of your Disc Dog

Red Dog at Clark's Run after a round

p3118764056-5.jpg

I have a 1yo Doberman. When we go to a dog park, she stays close by, and returns when called. When she gets loose in the neighborhood she does not stay close and frantically looks for all the elusive bunny rabbits.

*IF* you had to train your disc dog to stay close (enough), how did you train your disc dog? Generally Dobermans will walk perimeter loops around the owner and stay close, but one squirrel and I might be spending more time retrieving her than the discs.

I have a 1yo Doberman. When we go to a dog park, she stays close by, and returns when called. When she gets loose in the neighborhood she does not stay close and frantically looks for all the elusive bunny rabbits.

*IF* you had to train your disc dog to stay close (enough), how did you train your disc dog? Generally Dobermans will walk perimeter loops around the owner and stay close, but one squirrel and I might be spending more time retrieving her than the discs.

Nothing as cute as a fully grown Dobie loping across a field, looking for a few children to have fun with on the playground. :eek:

[psa] First of all, many people have had bad experiences with dogs, do not want to deal with loose dogs when they are playing disc golf, or have stepped in dog poop one too many times. Consequently, this is a topic that engenders strong feelings (especially if the loose dog is a large, protection-oriented breed like a Doberman). Many parks and disc golf courses already ban dogs, so please be respectful about the legitimate concerns of others. [/psa]

If you want your dog to get more exercise safely the simplest option is to get a long line, maybe 20' or so, and clip one end to the dog's collar and the other end to you or your bag. The dog has more freedom while you retain control. But even on a long line, you need your dog to respond to commands.

Recall is probably the command that is most likely to save your dog's life. There are lots of dog training resources available, online and in person. I find in-person classes valuable and (after many years with many dogs) prefer positive reinforcement training. Dogs prefer it, too. :D

I keep treats (and poop bags) in the car and rarely take the dog anywhere without both. Puppy treats broken in half work well, but your dog gets a vote on what is sufficiently rewarding. Some people find they need to use bacon, aged cheese, cooked chicken, etc. Other people find that play or a toy can be a stronger reward than food.

When I have the dog on a leash or long line, I look for opportunities to proof recall. Encountering squirrels, deer, etc. is an opportunity to work on recall, rewarding the dog with each success. Eventually the critters run off and I let the dog give the area a good sniffing.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I see there are a lot of 80s kids here. She's an American Doberman, under 70 pounds, no cropped ears or tail, loves everybody. I'll mind my own business. Carry on friends!

Cold round at Seneca Creek, with the temperature below freezing all day. Fortunately it was sunny and calm.

Red Dog has no undercoat, so when it is cold she just runs and runs. Much more vigorous than during a hot summer round lol.

p450856146-5.jpg

Having issues with my phone rotating the image. Will try again later

Last edited: