• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Potential Memorial Day Trip - Harmon Hills/Sugaree/Charlotte

toddnick

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Here is a very tentative agenda.

Does this seem like a good plan?

Any suggestions/changes?

SAT 5/27 - DRIVE BUFFALO TO DENNIS COVE (DENNIS COVE CAMPGROUND)
• LEAVE 6AM
• DRIVE 10 HOURS
• ARRIVE 4PM

SUN 5/28 - HARMON HILLS/HARMON HILLS (DENNIS COVE CAMPGROUND)
• LEAVE CAMP 6AM
• DRIVE 1 HOUR TO HARMON HILLS
• GOLF HARMON HILLS 7:30-12:30
• DRIVE 1 HOUR TO CAMP

MON 5/29 - SUGAREE/SUGAREE (MCDOWELL NATURE PRESERVE)
• LEAVE CAMP 8AM
• DRIVE 1 HOUR TO SUGAREE
• GOLF SUGAREE/SUGAREE 9-2PM
• DRIVE 3 HOURS TO MCDOWELL NATURE PRESERVE 2:30-5:30PM

TUE 5/30 - RENAISSANCE PARK GOLD/ROBERT SMITH (MCDOWELL NATURE PRESERVE)
• LEAVE CAMP 7AM
• DRIVE 30 MINUTES TO RENAISSANCE PARK
• GOLF RENAISSANCE PARK GOLD 8-9:30
• DRIVE 10 MINUTES TO NEVIN PARK
• GOLF NEVIN PARK 10-12
• DRIVE 30 MINUTES TO MCDOWELL NATURE PRESERVE

WED 5/31 - HORNET'S NEST PARK/NEVIN PARK (MCDOWELL NATURE PRESERVE)
• DRIVE 45 MINUTES TO HORNETS' NEST PARK
• GOLF HORNETS' NEST 8-10
• DRIVE 30 MINUTES TO ROBERT SMITH PARK
• GOLF RENAISSANCE PARK GOLD 10:30-12
• DRIVE 30 MINUTES TO MCDOWELL NATURE PRESERVE

THU 6/1 - DRIVE HOME
• LEAVE 6AM
• DRIVE 11 HOURS TO BUFFALO

My concern would be traffic near major cities if any on a holiday weekend. I'd skip holes 19-27 at Harmon and also Robert L Smith (granted that I played it a day after 2 days at IDGC and was disappointed).

Dennis Cove is a creepy, out of the way choice with a windy access road. Warriors Path would be a better choice for night one, with added bonus of a fun dg course.
Primitive camping at Sugaree or Roan Mtn. State Park (if you want facilities) will save you time for night two.

What you going to do with all your free time? You could easily fit another round in most of those days. Ashe County provides a serious beat down to complement the funhouse that is Sugaree. Both are stellar courses. I do think you made the right call with Sugaree though. I really wish I had time for a second round there and have been dreaming of returning.

If you double-up Sugaree,(which i think is a big mistake) given the fact that it is in the middle of no-where,mountainous,25 holes, with HH or Ashe...you better be in shape.

Ashe County is a very worth stop, wish I had time for more than one round that particular round trip.

Ashe County is a very worth stop, wish I had time for more than one round that particular round trip.
That's what kills me, if you are going to drive 10 hours to an out of the way course, why not play it twice (if warranted) rather than sticking to an agenda?

After Ashe County and Sugaree, I was done. I'd had no trouble banging out three courses before struggling on the fourth in Charlotte.

I see your point about the double play, but I would've been sad to have missed either Ashe County or Sugaree on my trip (best day of my whole trip), and I didn't have another day to spare. Missing Harmon Hills was bad enough.

Factoring in the length of the 27 holes on HH and the elevation on Sugaree's 25, both courses are more like the equivalent of 2 normal courses, each.

It's an all-star lineup.

Personally, I'd figure a way to get Ashe County in, but can't fault you for double-dipping on 2 terrific courses.

I appreciate the input...

I am in good shape, even at age 52..I spent 2 to 3 weeks a year hiking in the Rockies...

I did 2 rounds at Deer Lake and one round at Moraine in a day last year visiting Pittsburgh...

Now I am also considering a closer trip and doing Nockamixon and Tyler East and West instead...tough call...

I like more off the beaten path campgrounds...but will check out your suggestions...also will look into Ashe County...just don't want to add a lot more driving...

Thanks all...

I appreciate the input...

I am in good shape, even at age 52..I spent 2 to 3 weeks a year hiking in the Rockies...

I did 2 rounds at Deer Lake and one round at Moraine in a day last year visiting Pittsburgh...

Now I am also considering a closer trip and doing Nockamixon and Tyler East and West instead...tough call...

I like more off the beaten path campgrounds...but will check out your suggestions...also will look into Ashe County...just don't want to add a lot more driving...

Thanks all...
Honestly, considering the distance, the Nocky/Tyler option is a no-brainer. Go for it.

Thanks for the input...

My concern is that there are no other 4 or more star courses in that area that would be worthy to play...that is the dilemma...so many good courses 4 hours further away...

By the way, I generally like hilly courses with plenty of woods...

Deer Lakes and Moraine are the favorite courses that I've played (and just went back there two weeks ago to play both for the third time I've done a disc golf weekend in the last 2 years)...Brewster Ridge in Vermont is my third favorite course I've played...

Still a lot that I haven't played yet and want to hit the best in 5 or 6 day road trip...

If you can get on Camp Sankanac before it closes and hit Iron Hill, they are both worth a play.
I would try and work in a route that gets you to Frost Valley.

Tyler is 50% closed due to the ash tree removal project by the park, only 18 of the 36 are playable last I heard.

Throw Muddy Run DGC and Jordan Creek in with Iron Hill, Sankanac, Nockamixon, and Tyler. You could also loop in some NJ courses or swing up to Campgaw/Warwick.

Latest posts