• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power grip no snap

agentdozzer

Eagle Member
I have been learning the power grip, I can feel the extra power in the throw. Yet i am getting less snap, therefore my throws are about the same distance. I know i need more practice, but any tips for more snap on power grips.

I moved to the modified power grip a year ago (see tom's first vid above), and ended up adding about 50 feet once I got the hang of it. What made it work for me was to not think about the snap and just let it happen. This didn't happen right away, but after throwing in the field for about a week, the snap came back with the power grip. Good luck!

nice find

Nice find of those 2 youtube videos.

I have never used the power grip with consistency... I usually place all 4 of my fingers flat against the edge instead of tucking them in (power grip). It is interesting to hear feldberg say that a lot of the top pros only tuck the middle two fingers with the pointer and pinky being flat against the edge.

Grip that som biatch like you mean to hang on to it. It's all about especially finger and hand strength to hold on to the disc. Let the plane on the line you mean to let it go on a staight line where it rips outta your hand and that will create snap.

Grip that som biatch like you mean to hang on to it. It's all about especially finger and hand strength to hold on to the disc. Let the plane on the line you mean to let it go on a staight line where it rips outta your hand and that will create snap.

Could you retype this when you are sober??:p

Yeah, man, I drank an entire 30 pack of beer that night...whew! Good insight into my mood. All I meant is to grip the disc as tightly as possible and let the motion through the plane rip the disc out of your hand.

So after watching all the videos and walking around my second job with a disc in hand practicing different grips i found one i liked. I place all fingers but the pinky under the disc. So i all ready to try it out and AHHA it works like a charm. First couple no real extra d but the feel was awesome then on 18 i rip one further than ever before, over 450 not quite 500. I am so pumped stupid sun went down so that was all the practice for today.

I read where Climo recommended the fork grip but never was able to visualize it. (I don't hold my fork like that.) Anyway, I've been through a few grips. I was using a three-finger grip (index-middle-ring) to throw drivers and the birdie grip for mid-range discs.

Thanks to the Climo vid you posted, tomjulio, I understand it now. I went out to a field today to try it out. It added about 50ft to my drives and more control over my mid-range/approach shots. The disc releases more smoothly and therefore has more spin. Where I was getting a little bit of wobble from the three-finger grip, the fan grip fits comfortably and there is no wobble. I've also reduced the power of my run-up and rely more on the hit to induce more spin on the disc rather than the velocity of my body.

I liked the three-finger grip and have been using it for about 1.5 years. It keeps the nose down much more than the four-finger power grip. The fan grip does a good job of positioning the nose down also. Using the three-finger grip, I found myself applying more pressure to my middle finger rather than on my index finger. It just didn't feel "right." The fan grip feels natural and my hand covers more of the disc which gives me more control.

If you want to add more spin to your disc, give the fan grip a try. Don't try to use your arm to add spin but instead focus on the release. You want more spin than velocity. Try pushing a disc through the air without spinning it.

i throw my starfire alot like feldberg was grippin that midrange and can throw it over 360 without the dreaded GRIP-LOCK and very consitent ,i could throw close to 400 with an orc or wraith but i dont mind losing some d for accuracy. the faster you let go of the disc the more snap you will get so unless your sponsered by innova that powergrip will probely just shank you in woods and give you grip-lock disease

i realized yesterday that i was actually tucking my pinkie away on my power drives but using it on my fairway drives i guess i forgot till i thought about it before a long drive i think at this point its instinct thats why i play better blown becuse i dont use my frontal lobe, listening to music is also good. my pinkie just seems to slow down my spin, i can get the disc out of my hand faster without it, i lose some power but the spin gives me control . spins how you make a stable disc anheiser once the spin dies the disc start to fade back. learn that and youll learn how to control a disc after you throw it. spin also gives you d so its not that much of a tradeoff .

Today for the 1st time I tried the "fork grip" with the thumb and forefinger pinched as kind of a pivot point (i think Climo calls it the rip point?) - so during release the disc gets flung around that point for even more spin. seemed to work for more D, but need to get used to it a little more.

I watched these two videos too many times and consider them contradictory. Feldberg uses a modified Power Grip (two middle fingers tucked under and into the rim, index and pinkie against the rim). Feldberg goes on to state that Climo and everyone else uses it, too. Well, possibly not as we shall see in Climo's video.

Climo also uses a modified Power Grip (index and pinkie again against the rim, 3rd finger locking pinkie and middle finger locking 3rd finger). No fingers tucked under as in the Power Grip, or in Feldberg's modification.

So what is the general consensus, to tuck or not to tuck?, to have 4 fingers against the rim or just 2? Is the sole benefit of Feldberg's grip to have a tighter lock on the disc? If so, then did anyone see any weakness with Climo's grip? Are you sacrificing some measure of control with Feldberg's technique? Somebody fill in the blanks, please.

let the motion through the plane rip the disc out of your hand.

Which is the way that I understand it, versus

the faster you let go of the disc the more snap you will get

Let go! What????

Try all of them and see what works for YOU. Don't just try it once and give-up. Give the grip a chance. ;-) I've often read that Climo uses just one grip, and that is the one he demonstrates in the video. It works great for me. It feels natural, the disc has more spin, more control, and I don't have to go all-out on my drives.

I am glad that someone posted the link of the vid with climo showing his grip. I had read about in an online article but did not get it right untill I saw that vid.

With the Climo grip I gained accuracy with my drives, and lost accuracy putting. However I have been practicing and am getting the accuracy back putting.

I did shoot +1 at Fox Chase two rounds this weekend using Ken Climo's Grip. I will be working on putting this week with the new grip and hopefully this weekend will finally finish Fox Chase under par!

I have been looking at all the videos and reading the articles and still don't quite understand the power grip. I place my finger tips against the inside rim so that my fingernails are touching the flight plate--is that the power grip or what??

Latest posts