• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power grip

brdshootr

How tightly should I grip a driver? I was squeezing the disc pretty good but yesterday evening while practicing I loosened my grip and now I am getting more snap and better distance. Is this a bad habit or not?

Some pros will say you need to grip the sht out of the disc and have it "rip" out, others (like double G) say that they let go, meaning a looser grip. Obviously double G throws it a long way, and if you are throwing your discs better why the hell wouldn't you? :D

I shouldn't be able to pull it out of your hand super easy, but you shouldn't be bending the plastic gripping it so hard. (according to GG and others i've seen) This is how I grip as well. Just tight enough that the disc doesn't slide out early, but not so tight that I bend the plastic.

Most will say to keep your grip loose until you begin your pull-through, with the grip being tightest slightly before the disc rips out. I agree with wake's description for the most part, about not death-gripping the disc.

When i had grip issues switching from climo fork grip to full power grip, i would focus on slowing my arm speed and "feeling" when the disc should come out. Then slowly increase my speed to normal levels and upping the grip until i reached the desired outcome. That strategy may or may not help you, but it worked for me on my transition.

In my experience, timing is really the key to good disc golf. As it plays into every aspect of the throw, including grip and grip pressure. :thmbup:

Cheers

I use a power grip but it is more like a hook. I curl my fingers around the rim but don't squeeze. The disc will wobble if i shake my hand back and forth but not come out. I feel the loose grip gives the disc more spin than I can impart with just my wrist flip.

Carl

Do whatever gives the strongest hit/hammer pound for you. It's way easier to get it right if you think of it that way rather than trying to emulate what someone types. Starting loose and staying that way can make getting the feel for the hammer pound easier, FWIW, but coordinating your grip strength with extending your wrist at the proper time will get the strongest hit.

I like the 'holding a bird' analogy from ball golf grip instruction. I try to grip the disc as if I'm holding a live bird. Firm enough so it can't fly away, but not so tight that I crush it to death. Another thing I do when I think my grip is getting too tight or loose is, I'll grip the disc and rotate it in my grip with my off-hand. I want my grip to be right at the point where it won't spin in my hand anymore.

When I try to sort of consciously tighten down through the hit, or to consciously "let go" on a full power drive, I screw up. It just happens too fast for me. I think I do tighten through the pull, but not in a deliberate way.

This works for me, just saying.

An elderly couple decided to take up disc golf as a form of exercise. They played for a couple of years without making any improvement so they decided to take private lessons from the local course pro. At the husbands first lesson the pro asked to see the man make a drive. He lined up and threw but it only went 50 feet. The pro said "I know exactly what your problem is. You are gripping the disc way too tight. Imagine the disc is your wife's breast. You want to grip it firmly enough so she feels it but not so tight that it hurts her". The husband tries again this time with a lighter grip and he bombs the disc out about 350 feet. The next day was the wife's lesson and she saw the same pro. He had her demonstrate her drive and she lined up and threw the disc about 50 feet. Once again the pro observes that her grip is too tight so he explains to her to think of the disc as her husband's penis and to grip it tightly but not so tightly that it hurts him. So she lines up and tries it again. This time it went 50 feet also. So the pro says "That was a good try but next time take the disc out of your mouth".

My experience says, as loosely as possible while still feeling the weight of the disc at the hit and without getting slips. Loose is fluid, flexible, smooth.

Experimenting, I recently found a way to grip very tightly and get MUCH more acceleration through the hit. Probably one of the biggest distance-mechanics breakthroughs that I've had. However, moving through the hit with tight forearm muscles and tendons was NOT a good idea. My brain found a way to exceed my body's limits. Result was pain, ice, and elbow brace. Still on the mend.

I believe Feldberg says that 70% of the grip pressure should be at the pinch/pivot point between the index finger and the thumb through the flight plate. The remaining 30% is distributed amongst the last three fingers and is basically for insuring stable disc position in the hand.

Well, I am certainly no Feldberg, but I put 73% on the pitch point and 27% on the rest. :p

I believe Feldberg says that 70% of the grip pressure should be at the pinch/pivot point between the index finger and the thumb through the flight plate. The remaining 30% is distributed amongst the last three fingers and is basically for insuring stable disc position in the hand.

this. most of the pressure you're applying is at the pinch point and you're only applying it right before the hit, before that the disc should stay loose in your hand but firm enough that it wont move. you should also be applying more pressure downward with your thumb than upward with your index.

My biggest pinch point is between my pinky and palm and i feel the disc rips outta my hand pretty well. i know its opposite than what everyone says but i think whatever works the best without your whole arm being tense is the best way to go. a lot of players grip the disc differently and it does not mean they r throwing incorrectly. just my experience and observations from seeing other players and instructional videos

Latest posts