• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power Range? Sorry I meant Power Requirements.

TEX

Par Member
I've looked at different charts, mainly Joe's, and I was wondering how you figure out your Power Requirements.

How do you know what your power is? A lot of guys on here say that they have a power of 330' to 350'. But what does that mean?

How do you gauge your Power Requirements?

Is there a certain disc that you use when throwing that will tell you your range?

Say, a T-bird for instance.

If you can throw 320 you can throw a teebird decently well, however they excel in the 350 to 400 range.

If you look over on the left side of Joe's Flight Chart you'll see an explanation of the Power Ratings. I've always figured that the distances called out are referring to the farthest you can throw your longest flying disc. I've found that although you may be able to throw a disc that has a higher power rating than you should as an overstable driver or "into the wind" disc but you won't really be able to "master" a disc that has too high of a power rating.

for me, power is measured by consistent distance. e.g. if you can throw 330' it means that if there's a pond that extends to 325' you will be going over the pond nearly every time.

not everyone has the same measure of this, but the scale generally applies to multiple definitions. the "truth" of the scale is that people's definitions generally affect their length with putters/midranges moreso than how they throw drivers.

with every 3-5 year generation entering disc golf the new breed always manages to learn to throw whatever is newest/fastest. like, someone who started a year ago has often found a way to throw a wraith 350', but they might only throw a mid 220' and a putter 150'. someone who started 5 years ago might throw a mid 280' and a putter 230', but they still might only throw a wraith 350'.

however, regardless of when they started and what their ranges with slower discs are, both would fall into the power 5 category.

does that make sense?

I always thought of it as a driver range. Sort of a split the gazelle and wraith range. I usually claim right around 400 since I can get 375 with a gazelle, 400 with a teebird, and 430 with a wraith.

I remember being down at Cliff Stephens and asking someone how long hole 4 or 5 was (cant remember) and the dude just says "teebird". :lol:

Blake_T and Aaron_D, thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for.
So, what your saying is that your power is based on the consistent distance you throw with a driver.

That would make my power 300' ~ 330'.

Thanks guys you helped a lot.

I'm right with Blake - your distance is whatever you can hit on demand. I will say though, that my distance fluctuates sometimes. One week I might be able to hit 350' on demand, the next week 325' or so is as far as I can get. I know it's form issues, so just accept it. As for discs, I think fairway driver out to 350', depending on the hole requirements, but given the space, TL, Stalker, Gazelle, etc. and I expect to make 340'-350' distance to give myself a controllable drive and a viable putt.

Latest posts