• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Powered down driver versus super OS mid-range

Peter_LG

Par Member
If you're close to the pin (< 100'), but have to get around a tree with a tight-tight hyzer shot, do you prefer to use a powered-down driver (like a Firebird or Destroyer), or an over-stable mid-range to putter like a Gator or Rhyno? Why? Are there any shot options that I should consider?

To reduce the number of discs in the bag, I go the underpowered driver route, but I worry that I'm inviting the disc to roll far far away from the basket, especially when the basket is on a hill.

I like an OS putter. I've been through the Rhyno, Sinus, and VP lately. I like them all, the VP is currently in the bag.

I trust these discs more to fade reliably and not go too far, especially when you're in close. It seems like they don't skip or roll or otherwise do Bad Stuff as much as the faster discs.

But, I don't carry too many OS drivers, just a couple for windy days, so others may have different viewpoints.

OS mid or putter for sure. Less chance of skipping/rolling/getting tossed away by the wind if I power down too much.

I guess if there was some crazy wind that may change, but I doubt it.

I usually throw the anhyzer out wide if I have a short, quick turn shot.

It's going to depend on the available line(s) and the landing zone. I don't carry an overstable mid-range as I'm comfortable powering up on an overstable putter, or powering down a fairway or driver.

The shot you've described can also be covered with an understable disc thrown on a high hyzer that drifts/glides instead of crashing and fighting to the ground.

TLDR: It's shot-specific and what matters is what you're comfortable throwing.

Why go around when over (or possibly under) provides a path of lesser resistance? (Or does it?)

FWIW, I never use a driver inside 100' unless I need a big skip.

It really depends on the situation for me. All of you are correct in that throwing a distance driver you are risking a roll or skip. I would go with a drone or a kc aviar. Something over-stable that will sit where it lands.

Its pretty much dependent on available lines and the conditions for me. I have no preferred shot there, just whatever the course gives me. I feel comfortable with either

a neutral putter on a big hyzer is most likely for me but next I would use an overstable mid like a wasp then if that does have enough fade which I cant think of a time it wouldn't.. then a viper or teebird

a FH roller could work in this scenario, or a FH anhyzer if you have those shots in your arsenal.

Like everyone has said, it's situational. What is the ground like around the pin? how much height do you have? See the shot and execute it whatever it is.

i like OS mids for some shots because they are generally more accurate on the finish (less skip). i also prefer to throw a stronger shot vs. throwing a driver at 50%. when i throw an OS mid, as long as i hit the line, it's pretty much under the basket. i rarely overthrow the target. with a driver, there is a lot more touch involved, and the disc is much more sensitive to nose angle. i'll leave my touch shots for the putter.

Thanks everyone. I totally understand that it would be situational. My key question was basically whether it was worth picking up an OS mid....sounds like the general consensus is 'yes.' It definitely sounds like the skip and roll will likely be less. I just grabbed a DX Gator online, and will hopefully find it useful.

Thanks everyone. I totally understand that it would be situational. My key question was basically whether it was worth picking up an OS mid....sounds like the general consensus is 'yes.' It definitely sounds like the skip and roll will likely be less. I just grabbed a DX Gator online, and will hopefully find it useful.

I would choose an OS putter over a Mid if I could only carry one. But depending on the courses you play and your arm it might be the opposite. I use my OS putter more than my OS mid, especially in the scenario you described.

Soft Credo is my disc of choice. It is awesome.

Yep^softer OS putters are much better for shots which you don't want to skip. Every OS mid (faster true mid speed) that I have thrown skip hard on the LSS. Overstable discs want to get to the ground as soon as possible while retaining the same speed thus big skips across the board and that distance increases with speed of the disc.

Latest posts