• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Powered down driver versus super OS mid-range

I prefer a medium Sinus for this situation. I have a gator and it skips harder and further than my Sinus. It also has a decent amount of glide to it. I keep the gator in my bag for touch flick shots, it is beadless so it performs much like a zone.

Also depending on the landing i will change my throw because the angle of the hill will cause it to roll away if you dont land according to the slope.

Last edited:
I use a putter of random stability, but I roll my wrist under. Only way to get much hyzer movement that close, without relying on the ground or wind.

I would choose an OS putter over a Mid if I could only carry one. But depending on the courses you play and your arm it might be the opposite. I use my OS putter more than my OS mid, especially in the scenario you described.

Or get something in between a putter and a mid, like the gator the OP has ordered apparently.

I like a fresh roc, a spider, or wasp for shots like that. I prefer the larger diameter of the roc and the wasp . Throw them nice and flat on a 100 ft shot and let the glide and stability of disc get you to the basket.

Followup question - within 100 ft or so what is the best way to get maximum lateral movement outside of a roller? Say there's a situation where I need to go a decent distance left around a brick wall corner and there are roots on the ground and a canopy 15' high? (RHBH)

I could go with a glidey mid with fade like a roc and toss it with some nose up, expecting the glide to carry it left a decent distance before it hits and sits.

Or I could try for a monster skip with a firebird or other faster, OS driver.

If you're close to the pin (< 100'), but have to get around a tree with a tight-tight hyzer shot, do you prefer to use a powered-down driver (like a Firebird or Destroyer), or an over-stable mid-range to putter like a Gator or Rhyno? Why? Are there any shot options that I should consider?
At <100', no matter what I throw it will be powered down unless it's a really big hyzer.

For me shots like that fall in the "trick" category. "Normal" technique and disc selection rules don't really apply. You can accomplish it with about any disc so you just have to mess around to see how different discs act with different shots. It could be anywhere from a very OS driver thrown like an approach to some sort of weird roller to a spike hyzer with a putter. Chances are you won't need a specific disc for shots like that. You just have to experiment to see what works while ignoring all regular disc selection advice.

Almost any disc thrown below it's optimum speed will react less predictably than if you threw it as intended.

I find a Harp is the perfect little OS tweener to use on that shot. A Sinus or Rhyno and of course a Zone would work too.

Real midrange might even be too fast.

Almost any disc thrown below it's optimum speed will react less predictably than if you threw it as intended.

I bet Feldberg would be incredibly interested in this information as he parks a 150' shot with a Firebird. Over and over.

I bet Feldberg would be incredibly interested in this information as he parks a 150' shot with a Firebird. Over and over.

Of course a top 5 player can make shots repeatedly no one else can, that spent mean at the easiest way to do it.

That like saying that a putt from 50 out should alway be a turbo putt just because JohnE usually sinks them that way.

He's not using his FBs now, and I bet if you asked him how an am should go about it he would say something different than trying to underpower a FB.

If it were advantageous, he probably would have switched to using putters a long time ago.

I think about it like this: If I throw a disc up to speed, it will go HSS for some amount of time, and LSS for some amount of time. If I throw a disc under speed, it's LSS the entire time. Which is very predictable.

Now feldberg uses a Sinus. Which (mine) fades the entire time, whether or not it's up to speed. Which is the same kind of predictability. Putters usually sit down better than drivers, though.

I would choose an OS putter over a Mid if I could only carry one. But depending on the courses you play and your arm it might be the opposite. I use my OS putter more than my OS mid, especially in the scenario you described.

Soft Credo is my disc of choice. It is awesome.

Exactly my thoughts. :thmbup:

Usually on these types of shots, I throw my Lucid Judge or a Suspect. Just depends on the scenario. I have a tendency to release the Suspect wrong so I usually go Judge in this instance. Soon to be Sinus or Harp when I add that to my bag.

If you're close to the pin (< 100'), but have to get around a tree with a tight-tight hyzer shot, do you prefer to use a powered-down driver (like a Firebird or Destroyer), or an over-stable mid-range to putter like a Gator or Rhyno? Why? Are there any shot options that I should consider?

To reduce the number of discs in the bag, I go the underpowered driver route, but I worry that I'm inviting the disc to roll far far away from the basket, especially when the basket is on a hill.

In general I am more inclined to power down a Resistor than I am to throw a Tensor or other OS mid for longer approach shots (over 200').

However, for a shot in the just past jump putt to 150' range, I flick my putter 95% of the time. Even if its a RHBH hyzer line, I'll anny my Envy with a flick.

Putters have a great deal of accuracy and they reduce your chance of blowing past the target. Within that short of a range they are a very good option.

I feel I have the most control flicking my putter for short approaches compared to using another type of disc, or backhanding anything from that range.

Latest posts