• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pre Round Warm Ups?

RayGeFilled

I'm sure there must be a similar post to this somewhere, but a couple searches didn't turn anything up, so here's my question.

As a relatively new discer, who doesn't have very much time to get out to the course, what are some pre-round exercises, stretches and/or warm ups that you use to get your round kick started?

I got to the course yesterday, and rushed out there to get as many holes in as possible. I was ALL over the place for the first 8 or 9 holes, settled down a bit and shot good for the last few holes (only had enough time to play 11). Wondering what I could to to line up my muscle memory a little bit before starting, so that I could at least flip flop that ratio (off for 2 or 3, then stroking it for 8 or 9).

I always take a few putts to get in the groove, then throw a couple drives with mids to get loose, and knock the kinks off my release.

I'm sure there must be a similar post to this somewhere, but a couple searches didn't turn anything up, so here's my question.

As a relatively new discer, who doesn't have very much time to get out to the course, what are some pre-round exercises, stretches and/or warm ups that you use to get your round kick started?

I got to the course yesterday, and rushed out there to get as many holes in as possible. I was ALL over the place for the first 8 or 9 holes, settled down a bit and shot good for the last few holes (only had enough time to play 11). Wondering what I could to to line up my muscle memory a little bit before starting, so that I could at least flip flop that ratio (off for 2 or 3, then stroking it for 8 or 9).

Sounds like you should play 8 or 9 holes.

Or if you don't want to do all that extra walking...

Pick an open hole, long enough that you need a solid approach. Throw 8 or 9 drivers, using each disc for the type of flight path you most commonly throw with it. Pick one of the drives, throw 8 or 9 approaches from that spot. Pick one of the approaches, putt 8 or 9 times from that spot.

Above is food approach if you have time. I usually do some general stretching, some Hammer Pounds to line up my release, and some drives down and back in an open area(or pair of holes if room) with a variety of drivers and mids, mids first. putts at an open pin are also good idea but some courses you just have to pick a spot on a tree and call it good.
One thing people have mentioned in other places, sometimes the best warm up is field practice on off days to build up your muscle memory. :)

I got to the course yesterday, and rushed out there to get as many holes in as possible..

It amazes me how prevalent this attitude is, the rush to play as many holes as possible. Can someone explain this to me? If you are not warmed up and ready to play competitively you hugely increase the odds of performing poorly. It is like choosing to go to an all-you-can-eat restaurant even if the food is bad.

I see a lot of casual players hop out of the car, walk to the first hole and immediately start their rounds. No stretching, no practice throws, nothing.
Most good players do warm ups of various types, depending on their own needs (oldsters need more warm up), time constraints and the situation.

In a tournament or even a league I like to spend an hour warming up. My preferred sequence: Stretching with rubber stretchy bands, playing catch, practice putting, throwing drives and/or holes, practice putting, final trip to the car to adjust clothing and repack the bag.

Of course, sometimes I just don't have as much time as I would like so my 10-20 minute warm up : Stretchy bands, towel drives, practice putting. Maybe squeeze in a couple minutes of catch.

The towel drives are a really good short cut warm up. Hold a short golf towel in your driving hand and do the throwing motions of full drives including run ups (don't release the towel, just hold on to it). The weight of the towel mimics a disc but you don't have to search for it or retrieve it. It is a terrible feeling to lose a key disc just moments before a tournament round starts.

I definitely have to practice putt for a good 20 minutes/half hour before my round. I can't have my first putt of the day be on hole #1 when I'm going for a bird. I don't really ever throw practice drives before a round though.

This is my routine before I play.

Before I leave I down a Protein Shake.I also pack a Peanut Butter Sandwich for that 2nd round of play.

When I get there I'll do some arm circles,some forward and some backwards with each arm.I'll then take my arms and swing them back and forth horizontally until I feel good and loose.Then I'll take my hands and swing them as if I banged my hand(you remember how you would do this as kid thinking it would help with the pain,yeah that kind of movement) and I'll shake my feet out and legs out.

This wakes up the nervous system and lets your body know you are about to do something.In my opinion the only time you should be stretching is when you are completely done with your day of Disc Golf.Stretching is more of a cool down motion.You want to wake your body up,not cool it down.

I don't usually warm up, just use the first hole for that. If there is no one behind me I'll throw every disc I brought. I can see the value of a practice basket for putting though, that is something I would do if a course had one available.

A few straight putts, a few straddle putts, play some catch with a putter or mid. Basic stretches / warmup motions of the arms and back to just get the circulation going. I play right after work most days so I need to wake up a bit from sitting down all day.

If it's a casual round, I putt a bit, throw all the mids in my bag from the first tee and then retrieve them! sometimes throwing them back up the fairway to the tee (if nobody else is around), then putt a bit more.

If it's a tourney round, I usually try to get there an hour ahead of time. I do some basic stretching, practice putting for a few after checking in, then I try to choose a series of holes that make it easy to get back to tourney central (if that means 1-4, fine, but sometimes other holes are closer to where I'm parked) to throw. I'll throw 3-4 mids/putters from each tee to test lines, feel, and release, and then approach and putt out the first tee shot as necessary. I won't typically throw drivers until at least the 3rd or 4th practice hole.

Get back to the car to regroup, players meeting, sometimes play 2-3 practice holes on my way to my starting hole, putt until the 2 minutes, and I'm ready to roll.

take the bicicle to the course. Hey, hello warmup.

then play catch with a ultimate disc till i am sweating. Then putting practice for 5 min, then off to the round.

I usually putt for 10-15 minutes, then throw some practice drives with a Pig. A Pig won't go as far, so less walking, less of a chance of losing it if my first couple throws are bad releases. That usually gets the arm nice and loose. I bought a second Pig for that very reason. The other day I was throwing my Pigs farther in warm-ups than other people were their Bosses, Avengers, etc.

I usually just stretch out for a bit before hitting my first drive. I don't like to think too much--it gets in the way.

Latest posts