• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pre-Warning a Player of a Violation

I'm 54, play age protected or REC. If I'm not having fun on the course, casual or otherwise I figure I'm doing some very wrong.

The two rated events I've played were on my home course with people that were from out of town, playing blind. I shared the kind of info Zenbot was talking about.

I've been the "host" player on a card many times in tournaments. I'll let the card know I'm a local & if they want info, I'll give it. I'm not a fan of unsolicited, over explained details.
Sometimes too much info is just, well, too much. Give me the basics, and let's throw.

As to the OP question, pre-warning, I've pulled newer players aside to tell them, for example, they've been missing their mark and could be called for a foot fault. Never had an issue with that. But actual pre-warning, I can't say I've done it.

I've been the "host" player on a card many times in tournaments. I'll let the card know I'm a local & if they want info, I'll give it. I'm not a fan of unsolicited, over explained details.
Sometimes too much info is just, well, too much. Give me the basics, and let's throw.

As to the OP question, pre-warning, I've pulled newer players aside to tell them, for example, they've been missing their mark and could be called for a foot fault. Never had an issue with that. But actual pre-warning, I can't say I've done it.

Yeah, I am talking about playing blind and asking the card local, hey it the pin tucked up right? Local......yup, just past the big Y tree on the right hand side. Don't go too deep though, it drops off behind the pin.

And that points out an issue with the rules....and players.

3.03.B.7 Player misconduct:
Overt failure or refusal to enforce the rules of disc golf during competition (see 801.02.B, Enforcement).

But it is seen multiple times in tournaments....even the Pros do it. Look how many look away when another player is throwing. Look how many ignore Matt Bell's balling up of his putter (there's another thread on this where it is discussed about it being illegal).

I'd rather 'pre-warn' someone rather than take a chance of there being a person who will call me on the failure to enforce a rule. Heck, someone who wanted an advantage could catch a person "being polite" and call them on 3.03.B.7...first time it's a warning, second time a disqualification...one way to remove a person playing better than you.

Anyways, the consensus seems to be pre-warn the player before they make a mistake.

As for the other part of the conversation.....I'll let my group know I'm familiar with the course and ask if they would like advice, such as local lines, things to watch out for, etc.
Then it is up to them as to whether I help them out.

In response to above, I hadn't done it because I hadn't found reason to do it. It wasn't willful neglect. Just sayin'.

I agree that enforcement of the rules is a very touchy subject, especially at the elite pro level, but also at the lower tiers.

In response to above, I hadn't done it because I hadn't found reason to do it. It wasn't willful neglect. Just sayin'.

I agree that enforcement of the rules is a very touchy subject, especially at the elite pro level, but also at the lower tiers.

I took your comment at face value....that it was just intended as part of the topic conversation. And it's easier to call a first time violation on a "newbie" when the penalty is only a warning.

I do agree enforcement is touchy. Especially on rules that ams have seen pros break and not get called for.

I can't count how many times, in sanctioned leagues or tournaments, I've told a player they can't flip their disc to mark their lie. I carry a bunch of mini markers to loan/give out to players who don't have one (either lost theirs or didn't know they needed one). I've also hand to remind people they need to release their disc into the basket, not just tap the chains with it. Or worse, there are no "gimmies" in sanctioned play.

It seems like the kind of thing one would say to mess with people.

Hey, before you throw. Don't miss left. It's OB with a drop zone. And the drop zone is tooooough. Oh, and death hornets to the right. Good luck on your tee shot, I'm sure you'll pure it.

SO much of these comments have to do with the the WAY someone approaches it.

Like you said, saying, "Hey before you throw don't miss left, it's OB forcing you to a drop zone that's WAYY tough" -- that IS trying to mess with their head(s).

On the other hand, if while walking after just completing the previous hole, a player says, "on this next hole you may want to review the caddie book/rule sheet, and look at the hole from 200' on," that's probably something totally different. aka, trying to be helpful.

SO much of these comments have to do with the the WAY someone approaches it.

Like you said, saying, "Hey before you throw don't miss left, it's OB forcing you to a drop zone that's WAYY tough" -- that IS trying to mess with their head(s).

On the other hand, if while walking after just completing the previous hole, a player says, "on this next hole you may want to review the caddie book/rule sheet, and look at the hole from 200' on," that's probably something totally different. aka, trying to be helpful.

Some people also just don't have any feel for saying the right thing. Like I've played casual double and my partner will say "don't even think about missing this" before I'm about to putt. Same kind of people that hear you broke up with your girlfriend and are like, "That's really a bummer, you've dated a LOT of girls and I think she was by far the best. I was really hoping you guys would make it work."

Some people also just don't have any feel for saying the right thing. Like I've played casual double and my partner will say "don't even think about missing this" before I'm about to putt. Same kind of people that hear you broke up with your girlfriend and are like, "That's really a bummer, you've dated a LOT of girls and I think she was by far the best. I was really hoping you guys would make it work."

It seems like the kind of thing one would say to mess with people.

Hey, before you throw. Don't miss left. It's OB with a drop zone. And the drop zone is tooooough. Oh, and death hornets to the right. Good luck on your tee shot, I'm sure you'll pure it.

Kind of. When this happened on a card I was playing on, the player complaining knew the player giving the hole preview wasn't trying to game her. It was simply that announcing the hazards, the OB, etc, put the fear of those things into her mind and she wasn't able to concentrate on on the shot. She clarified that if she was uncertain about the rules of the hole, she'd look them up, but talking about them before she threw was affecting her game.

None of it was combative or confrontational. Just one player was trying to be helpful, and the other player asked them politely not to and explained her reasons why.

Kind of. When this happened on a card I was playing on, the player complaining knew the player giving the hole preview wasn't trying to game her. It was simply that announcing the hazards, the OB, etc, put the fear of those things into her mind and she wasn't able to concentrate on on the shot. She clarified that if she was uncertain about the rules of the hole, she'd look them up, but talking about them before she threw was affecting her game.

None of it was combative or confrontational. Just one player was trying to be helpful, and the other player asked them politely not to and explained her reasons why.

Proof this issue can be handled courteously and equitably. :clap:

Latest posts