• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Precarious Pins

superberry

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Who here LOVES risky greens and precarious placement of baskets?

I DO!!! See Winter Park...

78359973.jpg

a647af10.jpg

98713a58.jpg

2e604a9e.jpg

78359973.jpg

Also, Renny is full of those. It seems like more baskets are on top of a big drop than not. Or on top of a pile of rocks.

Hole 10 at my home course has a basket at the top of a ridge, hole 10's side of the ridge is about 6' tall, and the other side of the ridge is closer to 10-15' tall. Discs love to roll down this ridge and end up farther away than the previous throw.

view_image.php

I got 3 words for ya...White Effin Oak:

443f9ad8.jpg

Ask my wife, you can...and will roll 200'+ away on this one.

Oh and here is the tee:
0623147b.jpg

336' over that hill is the pin, probably 200' past that is the bottom of the hill where your putter will stop rolling.

I love holes like that, a little bit of pucker factor on putts is a lot of fun. Some of my favorite precarious pins are the two boulder holes at Holler in the Hills. Here's the pin on the hole that tees from one boulder with the basket on another:

zzzi.JPG

Does "close to O.B." count?
SHC%20-%2013I.jpg

I'm a big fan of exciting greens---drop-offs, rollaways, and danger of O.B. More than a few visitors to Stoney Hill care for.

Earlewood is famous for its rollaways---fast sloping greens where a disc can roll up to 100' away.

We're working on a new intermediate-level 9-hole course on some church property, in which all 9 baskets will be precarious in one way or another.

Obviously just "a little too late to matter", but the camera angle in that last picture just BEGS to call a foot fault on - as his contact point does NOT appear to be in-line with the middle-of-the-mini / line-to-the-basket line.

:eek:

Karl
Ps: As for the thread, I like "perilous pins" as long as there is a "safe side" in which one can "bail out" if they so choose to.

SHC%20-%2018D.jpg

And that hole to the left is O.B.

Oh Yeah... I forgot about this one. Almost as bad as Brackett's #10 in terms of height... but possibly worse due to the OB that's right next to the hill.

And the basket that practically hangs over the creek is dope too.
DSCJNKY

Not as bad as some of these others but this shot at Crooked Creek can be pretty nasty. It is a short downhill onto this island surrounded by creek.

be3a916b.jpg

rock spring park in alton, il uses fast greens and precarious pin positions to good effect throughout the course. challenging yet fair, it's IMO one of the finest courses in the st. louis area.

hole 1: view in pic is back toward tee, with green sloping to moderate schule
therocksummerhole1pin.jpg

hole 4: the pin is on a small 'terrace' that has a steep drop off behind it to an OB road, and most appoaches are taken from a landing zone roughly 15' above pin level.
therocksummerhole4greenview.jpg

hole 6: a short-ish LHBH hyzer leads you to this tough green with OB cobblestone-path down the hill to the right in the pic
therocksummerhole6greenview.jpg

hole 7: a short RHBH hyzer to another tough green area that punishes any too-aggressive tee shots
therocksummerhole7greenview.jpg

hole 13: approach softly, or roll far-ly (pic is taken from behind basket)
therocksummerhole13pin.jpg

there are a few others that play close to OB (holes 2, 9, 14, and 18), and others that have significant greenside obstacles from one or more directions (holes 11, 12, 15, and 17), requiring the player to really think carefully about the risk/reward scenario and execute their shots to score well.

(sorry about the oversize pics)

Great pin sites there! I have played several with the pin on a steep hill and man, you have to get that putt to stick onthe ground or it will be a rollin away.