• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Premium plastic mid lineups

All Discraft would be the way to go for this, and you have plenty of options:

OS- pick one: Drone/ Hornet/ Buzzz OS/ Wasp/ Zone
Stable/workhorse- Buzzz all the way, grab a couple of Z's and you're golden. Can mess around with different plastics and weights for intermediate stabilities but a regular old Z will be the core for sure.
US- pick one: Meteor/ Comet/ Buzzz SS

Agreed, although I do like Z and Glo comets so I will likely eschew the Buzzz for a stable comet. In fact, I might go:

Mortar or OS discraft mold - zone is likely
Z Wasp
GloZ Comet
Tursas or Meteor

Agreed, although I do like Z and Glo comets so I will likely eschew the Buzzz for a stable comet. In fact, I might go:

Z Wasp
GloZ Comet
Tursas or Meteor

Check out a DGA Quake for your Mortar slot. A little longer and a little beefier than a Zone. DGA proline plastic is pretty sweet too.

Check out a DGA Quake for your Mortar slot. A little longer and a little beefier than a Zone. DGA proline plastic is pretty sweet too.

Dang, this looks p nice actually. Possibly a mortar killer? :clap:

Z Wasp
GloZ Comet
Tursas or Meteor

If you're carrying Wasp and Comet that's fine. I feel like you can cover both workhorse roles with just a Buzzz, then have one OS mold and one US mold.

If you're carrying Wasp and Comet that's fine. I feel like you can cover both workhorse roles with just a Buzzz, then have one OS mold and one US mold.

As far as covering both roles with multiple buzzes? you might be right. With one buzz tho, I don't know if I could squeeze an overstable flightpath out of the same buzz that I can get powered down neutral flights. Of course, I could work nose and hyzer angles to some extent.

The way I have my current mids setup I am not worried about minimizing molds, so I have no reason to throw a wasp-like buzzz and a comet-like buzzz when a wasp and comet will do fine or better.

I get that, as I do the same with Shark/Shark 3 however those 2 discs are closer then ones you use. I use Shark differently as it is almost a hybrid midrange/putter more on the midrange side due to it being a bit faster then other discs on the putter side of the midrange/putter hybrid equation. The Shark 3 is just like a low dome ROC in terms of flight but beadless.

No guesswork on whether it has a bead at least.

Checked out a Quake at Spinners on the Green in Scottsdale last week. Not very mortar-like in the hand or by profile, more like a BuzzzOS bottom with a sharper top. I could see it flying similarly to a mortar.

I thinl if I were to ever give up on my prophecy cycle and go premium Id go to the Wasp, Comet, Meteor line up.

Presently bagging these putters and mids:

Dagger for putting
backup Dagger for throwing
Proton Spin
Neutron Envy
Possibly a Plasma Proxy unless I feel like I can hyzer flip the Spin for straight putter drives

Recon Mortar
Z Wasp
Z Comet
TP Tursas

I feel like I should know better than to necro this thread, BUUUUUUUT - If I were to seek a GYRO option to replace the wasp and comet portion of my mids, what would be the best bet? Basically a longer version of the envy/proxy combo.

I feel like I should know better than to necro this thread, BUUUUUUUT - If I were to seek a GYRO option to replace the wasp and comet portion of my mids, what would be the best bet? Basically a longer version of the envy/proxy combo.

For handfeel the Vector is most similar to a Wasp, however the 177g Neutron Vector I have is significantly less stable than my 180 Z wasp. Maybe you could fine a max weight proton one that would work but I have a feeling if you juice the Vector like I like to throw the Wasp it wont fade as much.

I haven't gotten to throw a comet yet. If you want a mid that'll just take what angle you give it and hold it, I'd recommend the Tangent. It's not a big glider, but it holds nice very slow panning annys, and on a flat rip is just going to go so straight with maybe a 0.5 fade.

Presently bagging these putters and mids:

Dagger for putting
backup Dagger for throwing
Proton Spin
Neutron Envy
Possibly a Plasma Proxy unless I feel like I can hyzer flip the Spin for straight putter drives

Recon Mortar
Z Wasp
Z Comet
TP Tursas

I'd go Proton Vector (non flat if your Wasp is fairly beefy) and max weight proton Theory. The tricky thing is that the MVP discs that are most like the Comet especially are Theory and Tangent but neither are that much longer than Envy/Proxy (especially Tangent). If you really want the longer Envy/Proxy duo but less speed overlap I'd go with the Vector and an Eclipse Axis. The Alias is also really Envy/Proxy-like except in slow mid form, depending on weight and plastic. A heavy Proton Alias and maybe lighter N Alias might work.

If I was going to switch to an all premium plastic mid line up it would look something like this.
Z Wasp
Zone
Z Glo Buzzz
ESP Buzzz
ZMeteor

Ooooorrrrr
Champ Gator
S line P3X
Champ Roc3
Star Rancho Roc
Champ Manta
But that's just me, and I'm never gonna switch to all premium mids.

Somehow I stumbled upon this thread and ready every post. Just want to say that y'all are highly entertaining :popcorn:

My Mid is a Shark 3 two of them with a Shark in Star for most things for mega short midrage to approach /driving putter slot A old Pro version is not for driving off the tee or in windy or tight woods approach so yeah I use a Premium midrange set up 95% of the time. I would be using the Pro Shark cycle for the approach in non woods situations. I also have the Impact at the wights the disc works best at that some disc stores inaccurately called a midrange I use for the not quite driver but still further then midrange distance as well as tight gaps in woods or a tunnel that is not true fairway distance. My Brother uses the Gator in MF for most midrange stuff though uses an Impact in a heavier weight for midrange shots.

Latest posts