• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Problems getting heel down

zgmc

Eagle Member
Hello. When I throw with a run up RHBH, I always end up spinning on my toes, not on my heel. I can also throw just as far without a run up, 325-350. I must not be transferring my weight correctly? Are there any drills that could help correct this?

I'd suggest posting in the video critique section. You'll get more specialized help there. I would, however, like to throw out that Paul McBeth doesn't really pivot on his heel. He said that somewhere in the "Ask Paul McBeth" thread.

Just want to point out a distinction between spinning and pivoting. When we say pivoting, we mean that the throw forces your body to pivot naturally on its own, not actively spinning around.

I don't actively try to spin when I throw. I just know that I am not gaining anything with my x-step run up. I certainly don't feel that I am firmly planted...

You know, I always thought I spinned on my toes and the tread wear is defiantly there, but after watching video of myself, I relized I do pivot on my heel, then to my toes. You may be doing the same, watch your self on video and see, what's actual happening may be different from what you think is happening.

Learn to throw from a standstill. Reach back like you're at the end of your run-up. 80% of your weight should be on the back foot and your front foot ought to be up on your toes with your heel pointed at your target. As you pull through your weight should transfer to 80% on your front foot. Don't worry about the disc at all and just watch your front foot. The weight transfer will bring your heel down, and you will have to make a slow, conscious, willing effort to make yourself pivot on that heel approx. 180 deg. and once all the weight comes through you should wind up back on your toe. This will be a slow process that you have to just stand there and work at. It's not a natural thing.

You know, I always thought I spinned on my toes and the tread wear is defiantly there, but after watching video of myself, I relized I do pivot on my heel, then to my toes. You may be doing the same, watch your self on video and see, what's actual happening may be different from what you think is happening.

A lot of people feel this way. You might be spinning on your heel without even knowing it. Like Colt says, video yourself and see what exactly is happening.

A lot of people feel this way. You might be spinning on your heel without even knowing it. Like Colt says, video yourself and see what exactly is happening.

I 3rd this notion. I thought I was spinning on my toes, but really I was doing it correctly: toe, heel, toe.

toe vs heel...

I pivot on toe only. I actually rise up to the toe, rolling heel2toe as I go then the twist/pull. I drive 350ish, so maybe I am hampering, but if it feels natural and accurate...no harm no foul.