• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am i the only one that likes the naming? I wish all companies did this, more like ball golf a seven iron is a seven iron. You have different brands but the same type of club. Im mean the buzz and roc could both be called the m3 one would just be innova one discraft.

I prefer names rather than letters and numbers. Same thing with cars. It's a lot easier for me to remember Mustang, than G37.

For a smaller company that will have a smaller lineup of discs, I prefer the letters and numbers. Millennium and Discmania are great (I'll take a PD over a Freak any day). If Prodigy's planning to release a lot more molds, I would prefer to see some kind of name. Keeping track of the difference between the D1 and the D13 could get really confusing when you're staring at D1-D25.

Am i the only one that likes the naming? I wish all companies did this, more like ball golf a seven iron is a seven iron. You have different brands but the same type of club. Im mean the buzz and roc could both be called the m3 one would just be innova one discraft.

Then what would you call the Wasp?

http://www.facebook.com/ProdigyDisc

Prodigy Disc
15 hours ago
Our discs are self-manufactured in GA, USA. You'll be able to purchase these at your local stores near the end of January! Thanks for your support and patience. Trust us, it's well worth the wait!

Kurt Conrad:
Once you have your lineup of discs complete. Will the team be required to throw Prodigy Discs exclusively?
14 hours ago

Lavone Wolfe:
Yes

I'll go on record as saying I like the naming scheme.

Golf has similar things - Titleist has called their drivers 90x or 91x for a number of years (currently 913D2 and 913D3 - 13 is the year and D2/D3 the variant), their irons are currently the 712.MB and so on. Other companies do a mix but almost all involve numbers to signify different things.

D1 fades the most, D4 turns the most. The only real downside is that they'll have to add "L" as in "LD1" or something if they ever make a "longer" driver, and I suppose I might have started at a different number too to prevent issues if they release a driver that fades more than D1? Do you call it D0? Then D-1? :)

But in general, I like the names. If they keep the naming consistent people won't have to wonder: which fades more - a Hawk or a Raptor? The naming informs.

Last edited:
So more new discs? Cool. I'll try a few when they come out with something appropriate for my skill level. But all this talk of changing the game, and growing the sport seems a lot like gobbly, gook childish non sense or pipe dreams. Longterm, cultural changes or movements don't seem to be driven by business plans or the current top pro. Well designed courses in parks, equipment in schools, and a sport that the average mom and dad would willingly drop their 5 year old off at practice for are probably more important than a handful of pros. I have enjoyed pretty much everybody I have played this game with, but there's no way I'd leave one of my kids with any of you! :p

Prodigy seems to be banking on the lack of intelligence of most consumers. They're releasing max D drivers first, because so many new uninformed players think that they will make them throw farther. They're also using the Nike business model of paying a bunch of pros to throw their discs, because new players will also think that throwing the same discs as the pros will make them play better. What they're doing is very smart from a business stand point, and if they turn out a good product, it will be a big win for the sport. However, how many new players would buy Lightening discs if they payed the top 5 players in the world to say that they were throwing them? It's a shame that marketing and gimmicks play such a prominent role in disc golf (and everyday life). I currently carry a mostly MVP bag, and while many claim they are gimmick discs, my game has improved dramatically since I began throwing them, and as far as I know, they have no pro endorsers (although I have to believe that Mike C could hold his own as a pro).

I'll go on record as saying I like the naming scheme.

Golf has similar things - Titleist has called their drivers 90x or 91x for a number of years (currently 913D2 and 913D3 - 13 is the year and D2/D3 the variant), their irons are currently the 712.MB and so on. Other companies do a mix but almost all involve numbers to signify different things.

D1 fades the most, D4 turns the most. The only real downside is that they'll have to add "L" as in "LD1" or something if they ever make a "longer" driver, and I suppose I might have started at a different number too to prevent issues if they release a driver that fades more than D1? Do you call it D0? Then D-1? :)

But in general, I like the names. If they keep the naming consistent people won't have to wonder: which fades more - a Hawk or a Raptor? The naming informs.
Lightning ran into this. They started the naming scheme with the #1 Driver as their fastest, longest disc. They also had a #2 Driver and # 3 Driver, which were slower mid/driver tweener discs. When they came out with their next longest-fastest disc, they had to call it the #4 Driver and that made no sense with the established naming pattern.

If the question of how paying top pros will grow the sport or bring spectators can be answered I might believe they have something new going on besides new discs. But I don't see how paying the touring pros benefits the growth of disc golf at all.

Prodigy seems to be banking on the lack of intelligence of most consumers. They're releasing max D drivers first, because so many new uninformed players think that they will make them throw farther. They're also using the Nike business model of paying a bunch of pros to throw their discs, because new players will also think that throwing the same discs as the pros will make them play better. What they're doing is very smart from a business stand point, and if they turn out a good product, it will be a big win for the sport. However, how many new players would buy Lightening discs if they payed the top 5 players in the world to say that they were throwing them? It's a shame that marketing and gimmicks play such a prominent role in disc golf (and everyday life). I currently carry a mostly MVP bag, and while many claim they are gimmick discs, my game has improved dramatically since I began throwing them, and as far as I know, they have no pro endorsers (although I have to believe that Mike C could hold his own as a pro).
I remember when Gateway started. The Daviar told me he really wanted to start with a putter but all the sales data he had as a disc wholesaler told him that drivers sell. He started with the Sabre, which was comparable to the Gazelle/Cyclone drivers that were the standard at the time. They released several drivers before they finally released the discs they wanted to make in the first place.

66478_10151350488006649_1641504882_n.jpg

Sexy plastic for sure!:popcorn:

No one took notice to the condition of the rim? Doesn't appear to be very resilient.

it sounds like they're going to have most of their line out by late spring... i don't think it's as sinister as you make it seem.

Also hilarious that you call these discs gimmick discs and haven't thrown them/seen them/held them/let them touch you tenderly

No one took notice to the condition of the rim? Doesn't appear to be very resilient.

You have no idea how many throws that has been through. If it looks like that after 1000 tree hits, thats pretty awesome. If it's only 2 tree hits, that sucks. No way to judge from a single picture though.

Also, whoever said that these are Domey by reading the specs, should read the thread about flattening being illegal. It was stated that the specs have ZERO measurement of dome height or flatness. So until we get these in our hands, or see profile pictures, we won't know domey or not.

You have no idea how many throws that has been through. If it looks like that after 1000 tree hits, thats pretty awesome. If it's only 2 tree hits, that sucks. No way to judge from a single picture though.

Also, whoever said that these are Domey by reading the specs, should read the thread about flattening being illegal. It was stated that the specs have ZERO measurement of dome height or flatness. So until we get these in our hands, or see profile pictures, we won't know domey or not.

That dome looks about like $3.25, impo

If the question of how paying top pros will grow the sport or bring spectators can be answered I might believe they have something new going on besides new discs. But I don't see how paying the touring pros benefits the growth of disc golf at all.

that depends entirely on your definition of "growth." if you're talking about more courses in parks, then it doesn't really change anything. If you see growth as more mainstream attention, then it certainly can. Currently, the vast majority of disc golf exposure is dictated by Innova and Discraft. And because they do well, they haven't seen much cause to get to the next level. Vibram has been shaking the branched the past couple years, really pushing on getting more high level payouts on the pro tour.

As much as us intermediate folk don't see the initial benefit, a larger pro tour means more exposure, which means more sponsors, that evolves to mainstream and television time, which means a greater reach to potentially new players, which creates increased and renewed interest from schools and parks to grow the sport locally.

Right now, we intellectually skip all that and stick with just, "schools and parks and local growth." but there's truly only so far a school will be willing to go with a sport that has little true public appeal and relies solely on the local DG organization to "sell" the concept.

But that's just my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.