• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy Midrange Review, M1, M2, M4

chris540

Par Member
Hey Guys,

Thought i would write a short review of the prodigy mid ranges. I just received the M1, M2 and M4 today and got a chance to throw them. They are all fighting for a spot in the bag that is currently occupied.

The M1 is up against the FLX Drone.
The M2 is up against the Lucid Suspect.
The M4 is up against the Opto Fuse.

First up, the M1 vs Drone.
This ended up not even being a fight as the M1 is not near as over-stable as the Drone for me. I'm not sure if i got a bum one or what but i found it less stable than the M2. It has much more glide than the Drone and is much faster. I found it to fly similar to my MVP Vector. Still useful but not in the spot i thought it was going to fill.

Second, M2 vs Suspect.
This was a tough one. The M2 was faster and had more glide than the Suspect. They fly similar lines for me with the M2 getting a little more distance with a little less effort. I think there is overlap here but i think there is room for both in the bag.

Third, M4 vs Fuse.
I really like this disc. The very first throw was a drop in birdie on a pretty tough hole. I was worried at first because i LOVE my Fuse but i think they fly different enough lines to carry both. The M4 is more stable than my fuse and seems to handle more power. It can hold an anny to the ground without turning and burning. There is a hole at my home course that requires a high anny around a tree with the basket perched on a hillside. The M4 was able to hold the anny and pan out to land flat for a nice two. The fuse held the edge to the ground and ended up a roller OB after hitting the hillside. I still think the Fuse has an edge in low power glidey shots where the M4 can be manhandled a little bit more.

Prodigy Plastic.
Love it. It feels like a softer Opto to me. Super nice.

In conclusion, I really like the prodigy mids. I need to spend some more time on the M1 to figure if it will make the bag. The M2 and M4 are in for sure. The standout being the M4.

Thanks all,
Chris540

I just picked up an m1 today. I'm really liking it so far. I would say its slightly more overstable than my Vector but they are close. I like the feel of the m1 more. Its has more grip and a flatter top. I wanna try an m4 but I'm really liking my Tangent that I picked up today.

(imo) M4 best mold Prodigy has made to date. thrown on very slight hyzer the distance and straight finish are stunning. M1 was fine if you just wanna throw it BH, but I found the M2 to be faster and much better than M1 when using forehand.

Last edited:
I just picked up an m1 today. I'm really liking it so far. I would say its slightly more overstable than my Vector but they are close. I like the feel of the m1 more. Its has more grip and a flatter top. I wanna try an m4 but I'm really liking my Tangent that I picked up today.

Do you mind if I ask what color you got it in?

I am waiting on Prodigy to get consistent before I make my purchase. I need something more OS then a Vector.

I almost dont see a need for the m1, I can get almost.. if not the same amount of fade out of my m2.

I love the M4. I would call it "out of the box perfection." It compares to a heavily seasoned z buzz. If you throw it flat it will go straight for a long time and finish gently right. When thrown on a hyzer it will flip up slowly and fly dead straight. It's an excellent disc for a 280-320 foot tunnel shot. For sweeping anhyzers the disc is a little touchy and has a "mind of it's own", if you will.
I prefer the disc in regular 400 plastic. It's more grippy. I had an orange x-out 181, but recently lost it. I replaced it with a green 180 400G. The G plastic is smoother and "star" like. My orange 400 was slightly more over stable then my green 400G.
I purchased an M2 and love it as well. It handles power very well backhand for long hyzers. My flick is pretty shameful, but I have had good success with the M2. It's very easy to get a clean release.
I didn't want to be a prodigy fan boy, but their mids are the real deal.

OK I just picked up a red opaque m1, red clear d3, and yellow opaque m4, all in 177-180g. I did about an hour of field testing and I have some initial data. I'll start off by saying at first the m1 and m4 flew the same as my m2, but after a couple of throws and a little bit of flexing they started coming into there own. Once the m4 broke in it had a nice long turn with a minimal fade at the end. I'll admit that to make it do this I had to flex it so that the disc was slightly concave. when the m1 was broke in a little it became just slightly more over stable then my m2. The m1 also seemed to have a little more glide then The other midranges

Tensor. It's like a beefy Vector, but a little shorter.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That is what I call funny. It is a ton shorter. It's also not OS at all. I've had many of my friends throw it and none of us can get it to fly OS... It is MVP's worst disc by far. I'm not sure what they were going for with this disc but it is a failure in my opinion. Usually people rave on about the discs they make it but I haven't seen it with the Tensor.. As for being beefier.. Ehh.. The disc might as well be a prodigy disc in the wrong color or worse, Innova.

M4 is my favorite disc as of right now. Very satisfying to see it hold it's turn all the way to the ground. The M2 I have is moderately overstable and will hyzer out dependably under full power. Similar to my Roc3 , maybe a touch more overstable but definitely more glide. Both great discs. I never, ever heard of any disc becoming more overstable as it wears.

OK I just picked up a red opaque m1, red clear d3, and yellow opaque m4, all in 177-180g. I did about an hour of field testing and I have some initial data. I'll start off by saying at first the m1 and m4 flew the same as my m2, but after a couple of throws and a little bit of flexing they started coming into there own. Once the m4 broke in it had a nice long turn with a minimal fade at the end. I'll admit that to make it do this I had to flex it so that the disc was slightly concave. when the m1 was broke in a little it became just slightly more over stable then my m2. The m1 also seemed to have a little more glide then The other midranges

So, in other words, they flew as intended.

I've used two M1s and they are plenty overstable for my uses. I'm firmly in the "don't need a mid to be TOO overstable" camp hence why I ditched the Gators after three rounds and prefer my Rocs nice and seasoned. I can stack up my M1s against my M2s and the M1s will fade harder all day. That said, unlike some others have said, I find my M2 to go farther. Not a lot, maybe 10-15 feet on average, but enough to notice. The M1 also skips like a mother on hard pack, and the M2 and the M4 I've found don't do that.

I have tons of overlap in my mids with the M1-M2-Roc3, but they all fit my style. M1 is for strong headwinds or when I need that big hookshot. Roc3 is my utilitarian mid-range...I use it for most mid-range shots because it's so workable on so many lines. The m2 has one purpose and one purpose only: go straight and fade a little bit. I don't use it a lot, but usually once per round I'll have a shot where I KNOW I need that M2.

And to weigh in on the Tensor debate: I love it. I have a 178g that I already canned an ace with. It's for sure more OS than the Vector....and tons shorter. Vector can get fairway driver distances (not for me, but for GOOD players) and the Tensor only beats out putters on golf distances by 20 feet at best. But when I needed that 295 foot shot through the tiny 6 foot gap on the right and to fade hard directly into the basket...it nailed it. Love it.

I used to be a putter guy, but with Prodigy's mids and the release of the Tangent and Tensor...I am now officially a mid-range guy. Now if I can just get the hang of this driver thing...

Last edited:

Latest posts