• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Proper" soreness?

Asian Style

Par Member
Are there certain things that should feel sore/fatigued if you've been throwing a disc properly all day?

Are there certain things that should NOT feel sore/fatigued unless you're doing something wrong, maybe bad posture in your throw for instance, etc?

I'd separate joint pain from muscle pain. Joint pain is generally a bad sign, and unlikely to heal with perserverance.

Muscle pain from a single day or even week of overexertion may be just a matter of using those muscles more than they're used to. If it occurs over weeks, you might want to ponder whether it's bad form, or an underlying structural issue (tendons, etc.).

Very general guidelines, rules of thumb from my old baseball days. Assuming, of course, that the pain isn't enough to consider medical treatment.

Then again, who am I to talk? I never throw properly, as evidenced by my scores, and have reached the age that every body part except my left eyelid is sore or fatigued, whether I throw or not.

I don't have the greatest form, but I can throw fairly far and have never felt arm pain, even after a long day of throwing. I've gotten blisters and calluses before. Any soreness I have had was in the legs/ hips, and it was from aggravation from a running injury, or fatigue. I'm guessing if your arm hurts a good amount, you are doing something wrong.

I'd separate joint pain from muscle pain. Joint pain is generally a bad sign, and unlikely to heal with perserverance. Muscle pain from a single day or even week of overexertion may be just a matter of using those muscles more than they're used to. If it occurs over weeks, you might want to ponder whether it's bad form, or an underlying structural issue (tendons, etc.).

Good input.

Addtional thought, any throw should be at most 70-80% effort. I figure during my typical round, I'll throw maybe 8-10 max power. But even then it's not about throwing 'harder', but rather it is about throwing 'longer' with a further pull back. I see it like a walking step vs a lunging step, in that you're controlling a longer stride, not forcing it.

I think ideally the only acceptable soreness after a round should be from walking/hiking a course, such as feet or legs. But admittedly I need to lose about 30lbs.

Now that said, I am slowly starting to learn bh and some areas that I am 'forcing' (I think) are my triceps, back deltoids, lower back. Probably due to be being a) off balance on the pull back and compensating by 'standing up' before/at the hit, b) not rotating my shoulders fully and collapsing my chest, and c) strong arming to reach the hit. Should feel as comfortable as opening a door, but still feels like I'm starting a lawn mower still.

If you are strong arming, your tricep will likely be sore...which I think is a very bad sign.

Also if I don't let me follow through flow, and stop my arm kind of intentionally, it makes some of my chest/peck muscles stretched out. It probably also takes away from distance/flow. If I let myself rotate around on the follow through and my arm naturally swing around as far as it wants, I barely get this stretching soreness.

My core muscles are sore before anything in the arm. I played 200+ holes the other week and 100+ after that. My arm felt great but my legs butt and ab muscles were quite sore. Sometimes my pec and bicep get a little sore as well.

I've been playing 5+ rounds/week lately and haven't been getting sore anymore which is nice. Problem is, I pulled my groin last week playing and kept playing all round with max power BH drives and just dealing with pain in order to post a good score. I'm a dumbass apparently as I've been limping ever since:doh:

Never had a groin injury so didn't realize it takes awhile to heal to the point to where I wont re-injure it next BH drive. Guess the next week or 2 I will be working on my FH drives and stand still BH.:\

Worst part is telling my non DG friends I got injured playing "Frisbee":eek:

Arm feels good, but I notice as I'm working on my RHBH technique, that my lower back on my right side gets sore/fatigued. My guess is because I'm trying to figure out how to brace my front. I wasn't sure if this is normal or a sign of me doing something wrong.

I actually injured myself last week and pulled muscles on the left side of my abs (RHBH) because I think I tensed up my core too much and wasn't using my hips. I think my core is supposed to be relaxed? i'm not sure, all I know is tensing up the core and trying to pull with it is a bad bad thing.

Arm feels good, but I notice as I'm working on my RHBH technique, that my lower back on my right side gets sore/fatigued. My guess is because I'm trying to figure out how to brace my front. I wasn't sure if this is normal or a sign of me doing something wrong.

I actually injured myself last week and pulled muscles on the left side of my abs (RHBH) because I think I tensed up my core too much and wasn't using my hips. I think my core is supposed to be relaxed? i'm not sure, all I know is tensing up the core and trying to pull with it is a bad bad thing.
Doing something wrong for sure, likely in posture and/or not clearing the front hip. You should not feel any soreness in the lower back from throwing at least. The core should be tensing during the throw, like it is during any athletic event, exhaling like delivering a punch or taking a punch.

Maybe I am over exaggerating bracing my hip and that's tweaking my back? As for the core, maybe I was too tense and tried to muscle through it? I'm not sure. All I know is I pulled the muscles on my left side. Maybe I was trying to pull with my core instead of my hips. I'll post a video when I get the chance to record again.

Maybe I am over exaggerating bracing my hip and that's tweaking my back? As for the core, maybe I was too tense and tried to muscle through it? I'm not sure. All I know is I pulled the muscles on my left side. Maybe I was trying to pull with my core instead of my hips. I'll post a video when I get the chance to record again.
Could be, it's really weird to pull an ab on the left side throwing RHBH. I guess if your rear hip is trailing that far behind your torso it would literally pull the hip via the ab. Left internal oblique pull is bad indicator for RHBH, if you pulled the external oblique it's less clear of indication. Everything should be working more together.

The worst of it is right under the left chest muscle towards the middle of my stomach a few inches above where my rib cage starts.

Does it hurt to twist to your right like BH more than twisting to your left like FH?

*Here's the I'm not a dr. disclaimer.
*You should see a real quack in person for diagnosis.*

I was hoping for some advice on the "tennis elbow" I get from playing. I feel like I throw my arm out on tomahawks and sidearms. It's an achy elbow pain that can become severe. Do any other holders get this? Does anyone have any advice on how to handle it? I've tried mild pain killers but they don't really help. Using a wrap on my elbow seems to help but I'm not sure what is theist effective way to wrap it.

Meds and band-aids don't fix a mechanic flaw in your swing. Don't let any your joints lock out through the finish and make sure you followthrough balanced on the front leg. I find tomahawks to be the most stressful type of throw and try to limit them to last resort. If you can throw a hammer around without hitting yourself or locking out, you should be able to throw a disc that way.

Does it hurt to twist to your right like BH more than twisting to your left like FH?

*Here's the I'm not a dr. disclaimer.
*You should see a real quack in person for diagnosis.*

It definitely is more tender twisting to the right for BH then left for a FH. It feels like 80% recovered after a week but right after I pulled it, tensing any of my core hurt. In fact, that night I ripped it, I had to ice it and sleep sitting upright it was that bad.

I was hoping for some advice on the "tennis elbow" I get from playing. I feel like I throw my arm out on tomahawks and sidearms. It's an achy elbow pain that can become severe. Do any other holders get this? Does anyone have any advice on how to handle it? I've tried mild pain killers but they don't really help. Using a wrap on my elbow seems to help but I'm not sure what is theist effective way to wrap it.

Do you throw much BH? I was just looking at your username and thinking of the irony.

Stop throwing sidearms and tommies until the pain stops. It will not improve until you stop doing it.

I thought I could just limp it along... ended up sidelining myself for about 6 weeks.

Sidearms twist your elbow in a direction that it doesn't like to bend.

This is exactly what my doc told me, "if it hurts at all, don't do it. stop being a dumbass."

In the meantime, while you AREN'T THROWING SIDEARMS, ice it, ibuprofin, and a tennis-elbow brace from walgreens will help it heal.

Latest posts