• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposing a course to the city

ronnie

Bogey Member
Any tips on this? I'm working with the city and plan to attend the next parks and rec meeting to propose the idea.

I'm waiting to hear back on what land is available, though they have said they have some. So that is step one to determine feasibility of a course with available land.

Step two is to obtain costs for baskets, tee pads, signing, and any other costs. I have proposed that we look at having local businesses sponsor the holes to help lower the cost to the city if they are unable to provide a workable budget.

Then I'll lay out the course with the help of some other DG'ers. And I'm hoping to employ some of them for cheap labor to lower overall expenses.

What else do I need to look at?

If you can incorporate reasons it will help the city, use that. How it will attract out of towners is a big deal.

Seems like what we really need on this page is simple outline and guide for us to use by someone who has had success getting a park in their city or county. Something as simple as a cut and paste letter that had blanks we could fill in with our own info. I know it sounds elementary but at least it's a start that could get us closer to our goal. There's obviously successful people who have gotten courses built. I know I could sure use own!!

Acid Elvis

I've talked to some folks around here about it, because I have to drive half an hour to my nearest course. From what I've gathered, a course usually goes in because someone at parks and rec or on city management took up the sport and was motivated to spearhead it. Rarely, I think a boy scout wanting to do an eagle scout project has gotten a course in by raising all the money and doing all the work, but the eagle scout project courses I know of have all been on church land.

I've talked to some folks around here about it, because I have to drive half an hour to my nearest course. From what I've gathered, a course usually goes in because someone at parks and rec or on city management took up the sport and was motivated to spearhead it. Rarely, I think a boy scout wanting to do an eagle scout project has gotten a course in by raising all the money and doing all the work, but the eagle scout project courses I know of have all been on church land.

Bingo. The trick is getting an inside man passionate about the sport. That's exactly how we got a course installed in our city (when I was studying abroad).

Seems like what we really need on this page is simple outline and guide for us to use by someone who has had success getting a park in their city or county. Something as simple as a cut and paste letter that had blanks we could fill in with our own info. I know it sounds elementary but at least it's a start that could get us closer to our goal. There's obviously successful people who have gotten courses built. I know I could sure use own!!

Acid Elvis

We also needs proposals submitted by people not named Acid Elvis. I say that somewhat tongue in cheek; but, if we - disc golf as a whole - are fighting a stereotype, little things like that can matter. Imagine a council member trying to find out more about disc golf, and they stumble upon this website. Many people already have a negative perception of disc golf. Just ask one Iowa policeman. We're already fighting an uphill battle at times, and don't need to give others more reasons. I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Send me pm and I will let you use our proposal if you want... just need an email address to send it to :)

I know when I spearheaded the existence of my towns first course it actually went very smoothly. I had a local city park in mind that was very underutilized and found a single email address on their web page. Turns out it was the park manager. I simply explained the sport and how it would benifit the park to install a course. I was only hoping the park would take it from there and I'd have somewhere local to play. But within a couple hours I had a reply back, he loved the idea but was concerned with cost of having a designer do it and then asked me if I could design and build. I had never done anything like that but I agreed. I got to work on an initial layout which he then proposed to the park board which was passed. After that the manager and myself went before the county commission to get approved and funded. They immediately passed it. So in a span from Aug 2013 to July 2014 I brought up the idea, got it passed, got it funded, and built and installed it. This is the first course in the area and nobody new anything about the sport. A couple months after it opened I was approached by 3 more places asking me to build them a course. I know there are some horror stories out there about the process but mine went rather smoothly.

Send me pm and I will let you use our proposal if you want... just need an email address to send it to :)

Pm sent. Thanks all for the tips!

Here's a shot of most of the area. There's a small "lake to the southwest that I think could tie in 3-5 more holes as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 24
For some reason, I can't open that thumbnail (might be my browser settings).

Anyway, if you search around here, there are several threads that touch on some great points about how to sell this to local Parks and Rec decision makers.

Additionally, don't under estimate the value of an experienced course designer, not so much in terms of designing a course that pays well, but in terms of designing a course that coexists with what else is happening on the property and still plays well. Unless the course will be pretty much isolated from other activities, how much (or doesn't) interfere with other park goers, and potential safety issues that can be an important factor when the powers that be assess the success of such a project.

Last edited:
Thanks Bogey. As of right now, the only thing built/developed is a walking trail through the plot. So it'll be utilized whereas it isn't being currently.

that doesn't look like very much land. Unless those houses are mansions lol. You said there is a lake, so how much farther down does the property go? And can you cross the road on the right?

Here's the whole layout. Most of The land on the bottom right is for sale. So it's out of play.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 19
Preliminary layout - hole 2 is about 400ft. Thoughts or concerns?

image_zpsd77c0c27.jpg

If there are truly NO trees in the area the tee is showing at - you have 2 options that you MUST think of because of the homes in the lefty and hyzer lines (for rightys) - move the tee BACK into the tree line behind the tee(best choice) making people shoot out of the woods and protecting houses on tee shot) or move it up to the 3 trees parallel to #7 basket to protect both righty and lefty shots (you could back the basket up 50 feet and still keep it by the creek and keep distance same).

Whatever you do - you NEED to keep discs out of the neighborhood homes if you wish to keep the course for long.

Good luck,
Keith

Thanks Keith. I'm going out there in a bit to walk it. There may be a parking area by 7 that didn't show up here as well. So it may need to reorient if so.

If there are truly NO trees in the area the tee is showing at - you have 2 options that you MUST think of because of the homes in the lefty and hyzer lines (for rightys) - move the tee BACK into the tree line behind the tee(best choice) making people shoot out of the woods and protecting houses on tee shot) or move it up to the 3 trees parallel to #7 basket to protect both righty and lefty shots (you could back the basket up 50 feet and still keep it by the creek and keep distance same).

Whatever you do - you NEED to keep discs out of the neighborhood homes if you wish to keep the course for long.

Good luck,
Keith

Agreed.

When considering safety, don't think about the line you want to throw. Think about the worst choice you could make for line x the worst throw you've made. Then double it.

Actually heelboycraig, when I proposed a course to my county I used Dr. Edward Lamb. Hell, I went to school for 12 years to use that for something. Honestly I don't see a council person visiting this site to do any kind of research. I think we have to do all the work and research and present them with as much as possible. Politicians want it all laid out in front of them. They want to see where they can come across as the good guy.

Dr. Acid Elvis

Good luck! I should feel lucky having 4 city courses (3 in one location), a church course open to the public, and one at the local university. Hope you get yours made!

Latest posts