• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposing a DG course on a Ball Golf Course

goosefraba1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys,

I have several projects going on right now. Continuing to try to finish getting the 18 hole course in at Shawnee State Park, Going to help redirect the course going in at Earl Thomas Conley in West Portsmouth (needs a redesign while it is young... the designer had only played a few times ever).

My wife and I are pretty close to pulling the trigger on a country home sitting on only 1 acre. However, about a mile away is an old 9 hole golf course that has a great potential for a dg course ;) Lots of wooded area sorrounding... some elevation change.... a small river.

This would be course #3 that I would help design/redesign. The previous 2 were on public land... this would be on a cheap 9 ball golf course. Obviously, I need to show the owner that it would/could make money with just limited money down for the baskets and some tree removal/planting. I would also have to show that the discs themselves would make money in the shop.

Problem being, is that dg is just now showing up in this area. We went from 9 baskets total in the county prior to me moving here... to now 27 in the ground with 18 more on the way.

Thoughts?

Thanks dudes!

I believe Steve West has been involved in this, or at least has an interest. If he doesn't show up in this thread, PM him.

Sweet... thanks D.

Of course, this would be maybe a little down the road. Just thinking out loud. Can't be driving 40 minutes to the nearest (half-assed) dg course :)

Sounds like you need to find a different country home with more acreage. ;)

I was going to ask you how big DG was in the area. Are there many people other than yourself that are clamoring for courses?

Sounds like you need to find a different country home with more acreage. ;)

I was going to ask you how big DG was in the area. Are there many people other than yourself that are clamoring for courses?

Actually... we have the local college here. I don't ever see anybody out there... but I do find discs all the time. College kids have a little lighter schedule during the day than I do :D

I think it will really start to take off this year honestly.

As far as more acreage... I've looked at some land.... but none of it has been the right land as of yet. I recently got a new position and substantial pay raise, but now my student loans will be quite a bit higher. Just trying to find a nice house at this point. My dream property will probably have to wait until my loans are paid off in 8.5 years. Maybe in the meantime, I will find the right land to purchase and we will be able to build our house on it. Seems like the most logical way to go about.

Print this out on some thick paper, fold it up and give it to the owner. This has helped untold numbers of disc golf courses get started on golf courses. (Untold numbers, because even though it has been downloaded a lot, no one has ever told me when they used it whether it worked.)

http://www.stevewestdiscgolf.com/DiscGolf.pdf

It will at least show them that disc golf on golf courses is a real thing.

Ask them to think about the benefits of entering a whole new growing market of younger people to any investment they might be considering to get more of the dwindling number of old golfers.

What'd I tell you. Steve West is the man you're looking for.

That's an excellent brochure, Steve.

Very cool steve! Thanks so much! Good thing is that my mom actually knows the owner... just found that out :)