• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposing plan to fix flooding on local course.

BradFollett

Our local course, Edisto Memorial Gardens, has some bad flooding on the Cypress 9 of the course. I've mentioned to our local club about solving the solution by making canals where the water is gathering and adding bridges across instead of the water standing with tall grass that never gets cut. I need to come up with a professorial proposal for Parks and Rec. I could use any help or advice anyone can offer.

Rain gardens can be very effective, basically a big hole with dense vegetation which soaks up a lot of run/off etc these are becoming very popular in suburban developments where run-off is a huge problem in the heavily concrete/asphalt areas. There is not always a solution what will be permanent and often any type of drainage systems need regular maintenance. Also figuring out where the re-directed water is going and will not cause other further issues or errioson etc... Its a big job and not cheap to do correctly you basically will need a culvert system like on golf courses, athletic fields and so on-- Sometimes you just have to take what nature gives you though!

The course was designed so that the water would run off into drain pipes to a "major ditch" that took the water away. The water is gather in what I would call routes that the water is to follow out of the course. To put it point blank, it was a bad design. I'm wanting to take these routes where the water is gathering, which it isn't suppose to, and dig canals/ditches that would make the water a permanent part of the course without preventing play for weeks after a good storm.

yeah sounds like a good amount of water/run-off and almost will need a small channel or creek and then fill in around if possible with the dense vegetation because there is no better water catching system than a plants root system!

hard to see without being there.. lots of courses in MN have these issues when large rains and really it is not fixable without major work plus the ones with those types of systems STILL get flooded in areas when it rains enough' Is it possible to re-work the hole? different tee/pin which could be alternated depending on conditions?

The water isn't wide spread over the whole course. It's just standing in the run-off "trench," instead of flowing out of the course. It's preventing players to cross on holes 3,4, and 5. I'll take pictures Sunday, when we go out for course clean up. I just want to make a well planned-out proposal to get parks and rec. to dig the trench into say a canal or creek and make it a part of the course without stopping play. With an afternoon, a ditch digger or tractor, and some treated lumber, we could have an in-play creek/trench and some nice bridges across. I wish we could change the lay-out but this part of the course was built around a memorial tree garden. The course was built in mind that the trees couldn't be removed and must remain this way. The layout is quite tight on the course.

Latest posts