• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Protests Against a New Course

Billy K2

Par Member
I'd like to share this petition with everyone and hear what everyone thinks about it. A group is protesting the construction of a 9-hole course in New Jersey. their entire protest is backed by false statements about our sport. The petition says that disc golf causes tree disease. LOL!

A few signers have called disc golf "violent" and "a game for kids on the playground".

Read the petition and let me know what you think. Lies keep flowing!

https://www.change.org/p/freeholder...ave-rifle-camp-park-stop-the-disc-golf-course

As with every situation where two sides are in opposition, the unbiased truth lies somewhere in between.

At some level the protesters are correct. Disc Golf has the potential to disturb current park users and wildlife, and there will be some tree damage. What the powers-that-be need to decide is if putting DG into that park is a net gain or not. I don't know anything about that particular piece of land, but I'm not surprised that current park users are protesting proposed change. They apparently like it the way that it is. That is how the system works. They come up with their "facts" and you counter with yours.

Rather than calling them liars, can you counter with reasons why DG would be a good thing in the park? Specifically a better use of the park than the current situation?

Wow. There was literally a NIMBY sign.
Really? Someone's actually trying to put DG on par with prisons, nuclear power, and hazardous waste sites?

smh

Really? Someone's actually trying to put DG on par with prisons, nuclear power, and hazardous waste sites?

smh
Over on the left.

636298607310047758-DiscGolfProtest4.JPG

Comments about golf balls hurting wildlife, too many golf courses, golf courses closing down, tree disease issues, I heard a wood pecker, where will the wildlife go...

Sounds like the protestors need to be re-educated, or more likely need to be educated in the first place. Not a shining moment for the average IQ of the protestors.

We've been dealing with a situation like this for going on 8 years now. The front 9 was finally opened late last year, with brand new MachX baskets(the first in our area) and turf tees. They purchased baskets for 18 holes but now the back9 is getting opposition. One of our local members has been steadfastly pursuing this course and gets the local dg scene to give positive feedback to the park board. With lots of patience and determination, he has succeeded so far.

http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/Default.aspx?tabid=74&g=posts&t=1428

Rifle Camp Park? Won't they target shoot the disks?

Parks and recreation on the whole has a problem with passive use areas. If you read the stuff they have you read in college to get a degree in parks and recreation, there is a lot of Horace Albright/Aldo Leopold/Frederick Law Olmsted stuff in there that all talks about passive use areas. Passive use is a major component of basic park design.

Then we get out of college and try to cram as many active use areas into the park that we can. Everybody and their brother has an idea on what to do here, there and everywhere. The idea that there are areas set aside that you are not going to mess with and leave for the community to experience nature goes out the window. You need a pool. And playgrounds. And pavilions for picnics with barbecue grills and horseshoe pits. And baseball fields. And soccer fields. And community centers. And designated, paved bike trails. And dog parks. And disc golf courses. Eventually you run out of room and...so you know that passive use area? Nobody uses that, right?

Of course people do use it, but they are doing their own thing. They won't be organized. There generally is no club for people who like to wander alone in the woods and ponder life. Usually when you go after their land, they are sitting ducks.

Sometimes they get organized and they look a lot like this group. Usually the most vocal are people who live nearby, they have a lot of their day to day invested in the passive use land being there.

Stories like this don't freak me out. Communities DO need passive use areas. Not every undeveloped piece of land with trees needs to be a disc golf course. There has to be a balance someplace.

The question sometimes is whether there might be unsavory activities going on in a passive use area. Then sometimes the community will welcome disc golf if they know that the unsavory activities will move elsewhere.

I agree they have some valid points, but they made up a few points that are obviously meant to turn the community against disc golf.

^ Chuck beat me to it. :)

I guess I have to ask how much use this particular park gets. If it is already heavily used, a DGC might be a tough sell. We convinced our City to put in 18 baskets in an area of our main Park that was only used by dopers, drunks and transients. We chased out the bad element and everyone was happy. Had we tried to impinge on the arborium or maintained trails, our new course would not have been supported.

There are a lot of success stories where disc golf pushed out druggies and/or prostitutes and the neighbors were very happy to put up with the occasional dingbat jumping their fence to grab a golf disc as a trade off. It depends on the community. Those things were typically in denser, more depressed urban areas. More rural areas generally don't have that much trouble with the parks, although they can.

I liked the sign in the video saying "Who will pay for the disc golf course maintenance? Taxpayers!" Clearly, they aren't aware of how little maintenance a 9 hole course through the woods actually requires.

Latest posts