• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Protests Against a New Course

Seems like a rule that any disc golfer that does not score 1 under on a hole be required to flip off any park users in sight would ensure the locals would still see all the birdies they could want.

The thing that really bugs me about this whole thing is how uneducated the protesters are on the issue. Some of the people think that they're plowing down forests for a BALL GOLF course. I just wish they would do more research before organizing these protests.

I see quite a few uneducated protesters out there who, frankly, don't have a clue what they're talking about. Anything new or something they don't understand is seen as bad, and they do no research about what they're protesting. We had this problem with a new park in our area, they're main argument was the removal of trees from the area. While a solid point, none of them spoke up about the hundred acre movie theater and shopping complex that took the place of a relatively pristine pine and hardwoood forest just a few years prior.

I liked the sign in the video saying "Who will pay for the disc golf course maintenance? Taxpayers!" Clearly, they aren't aware of how little maintenance a 9 hole course through the woods actually requires.

Our initial heavy lifting was 40% volunteer and 60% City work. After the official ribbon cutting ceremony, our's is 90% volunteer work. Only need the City for approval and occasional specialized equipment.

Except where gentrifying folk have moved in to overhaul an area, homeowners like areas to remain just as they are, which is the whole foundation for NIMBY. If it's working as they like it, then so it shall remain.

Not totally related but I always laugh at NIMBY people who lament how an area they moved to has changed. And your moving there was somehow not a small part of that ongoing change?

From their Change.org petition to ban the course:
"Disc golf is NOT compatible with passive recreation activities, and it will conflict with the recreational needs of senior citizens and people with disabilities. The discs used for this sport are made of hard, heavy plastic (often with a sharp edge) and can travel at high speeds."

Sharp-edged discs? Seniors and disabled people can't play disc golf?

But most important: the word I always associate with New Jersey residents is passive. And that's coming from a native New Jerseyian.

I've been through this where I previously lived and we were trying to get a course in a 200 acre park. Almost no one was using this park, I know, because I would often take my lunch breaks there when I was a FedEx driver. There are still very few people using it I have heard. We only wanted them to share 20 acres.

The lies and ignorance about DG were the most annoying thing to me. Everything from "They're going to bring in bulldozers to clear fairways" (not true, of course) to "The guy promoting this is going to want to sell homesites on the course". LOL. (He was a real estate agent). They even argued that it would upset the traquility of the park (There is a gun range that literally borders the west side of the park, open 6 days/week).

What it came down to was a small group of equestrians and a few dog walkers that have had that park to themselves for years made a big stink, and had all their friends lie about how they practically live at the park. At a public meeting, they even shouted down a 13 y/o Boy Scout that went up and spoke about how he thought DG would be a good thing for kids. The County was completely for the course, but ended up shelving it because it was an election year and the Commisioners were literally being threatened with their jobs. I moved from the area a few months after that to an area with a great and growing disc golf scene.

That was 8 years ago, and the course that they promised to find another place for is just now nearing completion and will open in about a month or so.

The thing that really bugs me about this whole thing is how uneducated the protesters are on the issue. Some of the people think that they're plowing down forests for a BALL GOLF course. I just wish they would do more research before organizing these protests.

It's too late. Once they are standing on street corners with signs there is no reasoning with them. No amount of logic will change their minds as they are too far gone. That to me, is one of the biggest issues with American culture as it is nowadays. There is no logic. No debate. Just shout down the opposition and brow beat them until they give up.

This thread actually has a lot of interesting and important ideas floating around. I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this subject.

I think that it is really important to acknowledge that the protesters do have valid points.
Small trees WILL be removed to clear fairways. Large trees left for obstacles WILL be hit and YES, will be more susceptible to disease. Spring ephemerals WILL be trampled and killed in fairways.

HOWEVER—it is possible to address these legitimate concerns with win-win answers. What if the small trees removed are invasive? What if large trees were properly protected with plastic guards? Unfortunately there is very little that can be done to protect spring ephemerals and herbs within fairways. They WILL be trampled and killed. BUT—maybe you can offer to offset the loss of these plants by adding native herbs to another section of the park?

Some of the concerns are illegitimate. Danger to wildlife? Hardly. Danger to people? Not if the course is properly designed away from multi-use areas and trails.
Additionally, you could make the argument that you are bringing more people out into nature and thus increasing the ownership value of the park. Having an active club that participates in course not only course, but park wide clean-up events are huge. Put up signs marking the names of native vegetation and other ecological features of interest. Make the disc golf course educational.

There is no reason environmentalism and disc golf cannot work together.

I've been through this where I previously lived and we were trying to get a course in a 200 acre park. Almost no one was using this park, I know, because I would often take my lunch breaks there when I was a FedEx driver. There are still very few people using it I have heard. We only wanted them to share 20 acres.

The lies and ignorance about DG were the most annoying thing to me. Everything from "They're going to bring in bulldozers to clear fairways" (not true, of course) to "The guy promoting this is going to want to sell homesites on the course". LOL. (He was a real estate agent). They even argued that it would upset the traquility of the park (There is a gun range that literally borders the west side of the park, open 6 days/week).

What it came down to was a small group of equestrians and a few dog walkers that have had that park to themselves for years made a big stink, and had all their friends lie about how they practically live at the park. At a public meeting, they even shouted down a 13 y/o Boy Scout that went up and spoke about how he thought DG would be a good thing for kids. The County was completely for the course, but ended up shelving it because it was an election year and the Commisioners were literally being threatened with their jobs. I moved from the area a few months after that to an area with a great and growing disc golf scene.

That was 8 years ago, and the course that they promised to find another place for is just now nearing completion and will open in about a month or so.

Sequim?

nothing to add, I'm simply proud (and surprised if I'm being honest) to see so much sanity on this thread :)

Latest posts