• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Proxy versus Tangent

46YearOldSlinger

Double Eagle Member
I've been using and loving the Tangent for short drives and upshots for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. My question is how would the Proxy compare with regards to HSS, LSS, and distance? As much as I love my Tangents for upshots a couple of my buddies keep telling me to use putters for upshots. Thoughts?

I throw both, and definitely favor the Proxy for anything under 200-225 feet. It just goes straight and sits down, and for me is much easier to range well at those distances.

The proxy has a bit more HSS and a bit less LSS imo. The tangent can be used for longer shots and better line shaping but the proxy is just one of the straightest discs I've ever thrown.

Based on the way you're using the Tangent, I'd say most of the flight differences between it and the Proxy will be less apparent. (if by "short drives and upshots" you're talking about mostly < 200' or what have you.)

I've never really used a Tangent much at that range, but I feel like, unless you've got a really beat up one, it won't show too much turn at that range.

For those shots, my .02 is that the main decision factor will be more feel-related than flight related.

And of course, as always, if the Tangent is working for you for those shots, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

But if it's more the old plastic addiction, I love the Proxy, and think it's worth a go for any player.

The proxy has a bit more HSS and a bit less LSS imo. The tangent can be used for longer shots and better line shaping but the proxy is just one of the straightest discs I've ever thrown.

My experience is pretty much this. I've been testing the Proxy in place of the Tangent for the last few months now, and have yet to miss the Tangent. For what I was using the Tangent for (mostly straight shots), I prefer the Proxy's higher HSS. The Proxy is also less glidey and just generally shorter, so I find it easier to range.

I am bagging both right now, because I use the tangent a ton for slight hyzer flip to straight mid tunnel shot drives, where the proxy isn't glidey or long enough. Also most mid drives where I'm trying to go as long as I can with a mid, I'll throw the tangent. But I use the proxy more for upshots just cuz it's a bit slower.

The tangent is longer but not by much, and the proxy is more HSS and slightly less LSS.
I would say the proxy has more glide than the tangent for sure.

If the tangent is working for your upshots, stick with it!
I find the proxy is easier to range at short distances, however..

Thanks for all the feedback guys - much appreciated. A few of you say stick with what's working and that's always great advice. A couple of reasons I didn't mention for the possible switch to the Proxy are listed below.
1. I used to use a Tangent for all of my tunnel shots but have recently added a Frost Claymore to the bag. The line is similar to the Tangent (just a hint of turn and hint of fade but generally dang straight) but it's a bit faster and bit glidier and therefore longer. When I want more distance I go claymore and when I don't need extra distance I throw the Tangent because I can range it better and it powers down better. The problem is that there's a lot of overlap between the 2 and I'm often standing there debating which to throw because either could be used for most of the shots of the other. My thinking is that Proxy would give me more separation from the Claymore than the Tangent and eliminate some of the overlap. Claymore for moderate tunnel distance and Proxy for very short tunnels and upshots.
2. I've recently started using an Envy for upshots where I want just a bit of fade. I keep reading that the Envy and Proxy pair well due to similar feel and speed. I like the idea of have similar feeling and similar speed/distance upshot discs with one being neutral to possibly just a touch understable (Proxy) and one with a bit of fade to work with for different lines (Envy).

On the other side of the coin there are advantages to throwing one disc for 90% of shots inside 250 (not counting putts of course). I played a long time like this with my Tangent and you really get to know a trust as disc you throw that often.

So many discs so little time to try them all. I may be over thinking all of this...

you will love the proxy. its probably the straightest disc off the shelf ive ever thrown outside of a polecat and honestly not sure right now what else.... I went with the tangent as my only mid for a while and it works great if you want to go that route I just have found more specialized ones to work better while pushing my putters out longer. Theory, Vector, Proxy, and Ion might start doing all the midrange work in my bigger bag and then throw the tangent in my smaller bag with no vectors or proxy.

Great to hear, thanks. The straightness of a polecat with a rim I can grip sounds great to me (my grip doesn't get along with lids). Gonna give the Proxy a go. They need SOFTs - LOL.

Yeah, given this -

When I want more distance I go claymore and when I don't need extra distance I throw the Tangent because I can range it better and it powers down better. The problem is that there's a lot of overlap between the 2 and I'm often standing there debating which to throw because either could be used for most of the shots of the other.

- you'll definitely be happy to try a Proxy. It's an unbelievable shorter tunnel shot disc, with awesome HSS relation to its incredibly minimal fade. Easy disc to throw dead straight I've ever thrown.

I like to keep my molds fairly lean myself, but the Proxy was a disc I made room for. It's just so good at what it does - dead straight - and that line is so important that it seemed foolish for me not to bag it.

Latest posts