• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Public Perception of Disc Golf

I've noticed many more poeple recognize "frisbee golf." then I go off on my über-annoying Wham-O trademark rant.

I've noticed many more poeple recognize "frisbee golf." then I go off on my über-annoying Wham-O trademark rant.

I do not get insulted at the use of 'frisbee', because that is the word most people will associate with a flying disc.

On the other hand, people who write in for free stuff and info, aka "Happy Endings", need to get it right.

But public perception? You hippies! :D

Fight the chucker stereotype! There are so many bad perceptions about our sport due to actions of so many chuckers (drugs, vandalism, litter, etc, etc). Come join us in fighting the stereotype, finding solutions, sharing ideas, moving FORWARD!

Fighting the Chuckers Social Group

There are some good ideas and example in the threads in this group, but there needs to be much more of an active nature to battling the stereotype. Beside leading by example every day, there are still hordes of chuckers out there, we need better ideas to minimize their presence, or hell even keep them away.

And just to keep things straight - I don't much care about public perception of the masses, but their perception impacts me as a course designer and maintainer. If the public sees negative behavior, or spread their perception of negativity about the course, we risk it being pulled. That would be like pulling my heart and soul out! So, if it's some worthless and uselss chuckers out on the course contributing to or even creating this perception, then yes I want to keep them away, utilizing just about any means necessary and logical. Simply and bluntly stated - I hate chuckers! It baffles me how anyone who crap where they play!

I've been keeping up on the hilarity caused by the "Happy Endings" show. First it was the phone call from the TV studio, then it was the announcement by the PDGA to the disc golf community. The show aired, then the defensive comments were shared and immediately the insults were hurled. Now we have two videos, an "apology" from part of the cast and a rebuttal from Val and Nate.

I must say it's all been extremely entertaining, but it also got me thinking.

How did this disc golfer stereotype enter the minds of the public? We know there are hippies out there digging a day of throwing saucers up in the air. We also know there are serious players practicing their sport, but why do the oblivious believe our sport is full of losers with nothing better to do?

I've seen old videos and pictures of disc golf in the 70s and the pioneers of our sport didn't look like hippies. I've heard some early interviews and they didn't strike me as "losers."

So why do these negative views exist?

I've never heard things like, "Losers! You throw a ball at a ball," when the sport of Bocce ball is brought up. I've never heard any insults directed at professional horse shoe players, dart enthusiasts or billiard players.

So, how? Was there a movie in the '80s I don't know about? Any thoughts?

In my humble opinion all stereotypes (even the more horrendous ones) come from some kernel of truth. Yes there are a lot of professional, clean cut, nice people that are out playing disc golf every day...but they don't get noticed as much as the burn out toking up on the tee pad and offering a hit to the kiddies walking by (ok the last part was not meant to be serious only to vent frustration).

But the negative stereotype exists because people only remember the negative a-holes they see out on the course.

Stereotypes

I've been keeping up on the hilarity caused by the "Happy Endings" show. First it was the phone call from the TV studio, then it was the announcement by the PDGA to the disc golf community. The show aired, then the defensive comments were shared and immediately the insults were hurled. Now we have two videos, an "apology" from part of the cast and a rebuttal from Val and Nate.

I must say it's all been extremely entertaining, but it also got me thinking.

How did this disc golfer stereotype enter the minds of the public? We know there are hippies out there digging a day of throwing saucers up in the air. We also know there are serious players practicing their sport, but why do the oblivious believe our sport is full of losers with nothing better to do?

I've seen old videos and pictures of disc golf in the 70s and the pioneers of our sport didn't look like hippies. I've heard some early interviews and they didn't strike me as "losers."

So why do these negative views exist?

I've never heard things like, "Losers! You throw a ball at a ball," when the sport of Bocce ball is brought up. I've never heard any insults directed at professional horse shoe players, dart enthusiasts or billiard players.

So, how? Was there a movie in the '80s I don't know about? Any thoughts?

We have all been taught how wrong it is to stereotype people. It is mean, bad, bigoted, racist etc. But stereotypes usually exist for a reason, and have some element of truth. So, if some disc golfers do not like the sport's public image they only have disc golfers to blame. People are what they are. And it really stands out on a disc golf course when you're carrying a disc golf 'purse' in a field.

I don't think people outside of the sport have much of an opinion one way or another. Ask a stranger or someone who you just met, what their perception of disc golfers is. I think most will just draw a blank.

Thus the negative connotations associated with our sport are generally brought about by those who have a connection to the sport. I do know the public parks keep giving us more courses even though our current courses are never very busy except for leagues and tourneys. This doesn't mean they think highly of us though, as their reasoning seems to be more that we help keep a worse element out of the parks, so there is always that....we aren't the worst.

What is worse are the dudes that take it too seriously. Asking people to leave the course on league days.

Generally the leagues have the course reserved and have every right to ask you to leave. Most will try to accommodate you, but not if you ignore that league is ongoing, and still jump off in the middle of it. I had a guy continually jump into the middle of my league. I finally addressed it and he then ranted on and on on the club's Facebook page. for a kicker the guy owns a local disc shop. Forever, negative perception of this guy and his shop. You would think he would be eager to play league, sponsor a prize now and then, and try to boost his biz. But no, it is all about him and what he wants. These are the folks that are bad for disc golf, the self absorbed pricks. it's not the smokers and drinkers imo.

I don't think people outside of the sport have much of an opinion one way or another. Ask a stranger or someone who you just met, what their perception of disc golfers is. I think most will just draw a blank.

Thus the negative connotations associated with our sport are generally brought about by those who have a connection to the sport. I do know the public parks keep giving us more courses even though our current courses are never very busy except for leagues and tourneys. This doesn't mean they think highly of us though, as their reasoning seems to be more that we help keep a worse element out of the parks, so there is always that....we aren't the worst.

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately the last bit is true, especially around these parts.

This bit explains a bit from an article in our local paper last weekend:
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifestyle/9956867-181/why-sonoma-county-disc-golfers

"Adam Domenick, another UFOS member, reports that the group is at work on a course at Youth Community Park, otherwise known as Rosa Park, across from Piner High School. In early July, 30 UFO members helped clean up 40 acres in the back of the park, which had been a large homeless encampment. They put up nine temporary baskets and held a small tournament, and are hoping to make it a permanent course."

The great part here, not mentioned in the article, is that perceptions ARE changing as those with parks departments or other city/county officials retire and are replaced by younger people who may actually know of, or even played Disc golf. The park talked about in the paragraph I quoted would not and could not have happened 4 years ago. There was at least one, maybe only one, vocal member of the parks department that would never allow Disc Golf on city property because of HIS perception, the stinky, dirty, druggy, hippies all of them. The work that has been done on that one course is changing perceptions locally and from what I can see talking with friends in different areas (all casual frolfers) that this is more the norm.

Generally the leagues have the course reserved and have every right to ask you to leave. Most will try to accommodate you, but not if you ignore that league is ongoing, and still jump off in the middle of it. I had a guy continually jump into the middle of my league. I finally addressed it and he then ranted on and on on the club's Facebook page. for a kicker the guy owns a local disc shop. Forever, negative perception of this guy and his shop. You would think he would be eager to play league, sponsor a prize now and then, and try to boost his biz. But no, it is all about him and what he wants. These are the folks that are bad for disc golf, the self absorbed pricks. it's not the smokers and drinkers imo.

This may be a regional thing. Around Michigan (SE Michigan in particular), leagues NEVER have the course reserved. They are public courses and the disc golfers have no more right to the park space, on the course or not, than dog walkers, bird watchers, walkers or picnickers. I think, around here, anyone projecting any negativity on the above park users, is out of line and counterproductive to the survival of the course.

Necrooooooooo

Interesting to see the change in opinions over the years in this thread. Seems the big beef early on was being lumped in with the dregs of society. Now there at least *is* a public perception of disc golf outside of the shirtless, blunt smoking, music-cranking fountain swimmers and serial litterers.

The more I talk to people outside the sport it seems to have more of a "ball golf for the Everyman" kind of perception. Maybe it's just my area but the hoodlum types have no foothold here. When something obnoxious happens it's generally a bachelor party that rented a set etc. and not a real player.

I have been organizing disc golf and selling courses to municipalities for 25 years. The difference in perception in that time is staggering.

Out of curiosity can you give an example of some of the differences in perception?

DG has had and maintains a good perception from the City of Des Moines parks and rec for 30 years. Three notable big successes. At Margo Frankel (extinct) lewd and greasy activities reduced enough that it became desirable to normals enough that the course was pulled and DG happily given two new parks. Grandview was similarly greasy and has cleaned up to where a proper children's area added and course mildly redesigned to give the kids and rental shelter more space with a splash pad.. Becky Zallek DGC added most more recently to help make a park unattractive to homeless camping and doing that job well amour three years in.