• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Public Perception of Disc Golf

This may be a regional thing. Around Michigan (SE Michigan in particular), leagues NEVER have the course reserved. They are public courses and the disc golfers have no more right to the park space, on the course or not, than dog walkers, bird watchers, walkers or picnickers. I think, around here, anyone projecting any negativity on the above park users, is out of line and counterproductive to the survival of the course.

Well, our league always has the courses reserved for league with the Parks dept. We never fill it up so there is opportunity for everyone to play. That doesn't mean that we put up with folks who intentionally disrupt the league. Respect is a 2 way highway, and to feel that you can play whenever you want, regardless if you interfere with league or not, then you are traveling on a one way highway and as long as i am in charge, you will be cited for that infraction.

Locally we also don't have the course reserved for league. Any Joe Q Public is welcome to use the course as the league is ongoing. We try to be friendly and invite them to join or inform them that it's a league night and the course may be unusually busy. We also let casuals that are playing play through league groups if they are moving faster.

I haven't been back to WNY in years. Having grown up there, and also having read a lot of recent comments on the wivb news FB page, I'm not surprised there's no hippie yippies, nor any other sub culture out and about. Things seem to have really gone straight there recently. Or at least straight in certain demographics opinions.
Regardless, out here in the eastern minn western wisco ST Croix river area, there's a great mix of people out and playing, that try to show each other respect. Sure there's some bad apples on both sides of the court, but for the most part, it's a pretty cool community.
There's even more douchebaggery in regular golf. I lived on the 7th hole of the Arizona Grand Resorts course, in Tempe AZ, and there were many mornings spent on my patio watching people urinating where ever they wanted, in front of our apt's, as well as beer carts running all day, along with the beer cart attendants that were wearing the standard uniform of polo shirts and mini skirts.
Thank god we don't have much of that crap going on with it, and hopefully we never will.
I've also worn polo's, sleeveless shirts, and a tied dyed bob marley tee as some of my on course attire. If you see someone out and about in a pair of Fallout Mentants socks and a Black Flag sleeveless Tee, say high! I will always love to stop and chat about how wonderful our sport is because of the wide range of people you meet playing!