• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Pure plastic (possible switch from D-Line P2)

Meillo

Eagle Member
Hoi,

I've started to disc golf last winter with a D-Line P2 as my putter (because Simon putts with it and he's good and I thought, if I don't know what to do then imitate the pros and see how that goes ...). Well, I've putted all year with the P2s. I do like the plastic very much. Putting was okay as well, but I had nothing to compare it to.

The thing is, during the last months I realized that the P2s are too deep for me to drive with them. It's all wobble and horrible. I used my Comet for all upshots, thus it was no big thing. Now I gave an Opto Pure a go, and can drive with it really well. (That's why I think it's the depth.)

I like to carry few discs, but now I carry two P2s and a Pure, which somehow hurts my feelings. ;-) Anyway, I thought I could just switch to putting with the Pure. Thus I ordered a Zero Hard Pure and used P2s and Pures in my putting practice: There wasn't much of a difference. Consequently, I'd like to switch to Pures and see how that develops. The Opto Pure is great to drive with but it's the wrong plastic for putting. The Zero Hard, unfortunately, is too stiff and too slicky for my taste. (I usually order on Web shops.) Now I wonder if Zero Medium or Zero Soft would be more what I search or if those won't suite me neither.

Z FLX type of plastic is too gummy. I prefer stiffer plastic, or let's say, pretty average stiffness, like the D-Line, DX or Star I have. I do like the kinda waxy feel of the D-Line. What do I have to expect from Zero Medium and Zero Soft, or Retro?

Btw:

I read that P1s or Aviars are more shallow too. I don't want to try so many discs, and I'd appreciate if my bag is distributed over several brands, but if the L64 plastics wouldn't fit my taste, I might go for those molds. (Please don't suggest further molds; it is unlikely that I'll try them.)

Maybe useful to know: I bag a Comet and a Zone as midranges. I can putt with the Zone on windy days.

And concerning my putting technique, if that matters: I can't really say much, as I'm in an experimentation state currently. Often it's push with low spin, which I want to avoid. Sometimes I straddle, sometimes not. I've tried pure spin but fear long comebackers on misses. It's all in flux, currently.

Last edited:
Personally, as a player who putts and upshots with Pures, I think the Zero Medium is my favorite plastic. Just grippy enough and not at all a floppy mess like Soft / Mega Soft. I tend to use the Mediums most of the year but do mix in some Zero Hard in the really hot months. Also do carry an older Opto Pure in my glow bag for driving duties, but never putt with it myself. Just wish I would have snagged a few more of those "blueberry" Medium Pures a while back, great feel and smell. :D

Hope that helps a little bit.

I have a couple Zero Soft Pures, and they are much softer/more floppy than DX plastic.

You're not going to like Zero Soft if you want average to above average stiffness. Zero Medium is probably acceptable if you're a fan of D-line/DX.

Yeah Trilogy Plastic goes Hard=pretty firm, Medium=a good amount of softness, Soft=Hot butter

In this weather I'm using Medium and its nice in temps below 55. Anything above 65 and I need to go Hard or the mediums are just too gummy for my tastes. I don't really like Soft anything and I have a soft harp which is fine for cold winters but, putting, go medium in winter, hard summer. that's my suggestion

Also, if you like the pure and want a similar (but in my opinion a better disc) MVP Atom in Proton (premium/stable) and Electron (baseline, velvety) The Atom is a lot like the pure but all around better - but that's my opinion

Thanks for the descriptions of the Zero plastics. That helps a lot!

How is Retro in relation to them?

And is any of the Latitude plastics waxy like Discmania's D-Line?

I really like the Retro/Prime plastic for putters. In my opinion, it's similar the DX in firmness but grippier. I personally like the Zero Hard just about as well, and the Medium not quite as well. If you wanted to try the Retro, they're only like $8...

I really like the Retro/Prime plastic for putters. In my opinion, it's similar the DX in firmness but grippier. I personally like the Zero Hard just about as well, and the Medium not quite as well. If you wanted to try the Retro, they're only like $8...

This is a good suggestion. I've never owned one of the Trilogy base line plastics, but from what I have read the stiffness is between the Zero Hard and Zero Medium, but closer to Zero Hard.

I used to throw the Judge in Classic Blend, which is Zero Medium. It started out firm but softened up with use. Too soft for me, but it sounds like what the OP wants.

I used to throw the Judge in Classic Blend, which is Zero Medium. It started out firm but softened up with use. Too soft for me, but it sounds like what the OP wants.

I'm not sure. My D-Line P2 and my DX discs actually are pretty torsionally rigid (hope that's the right term). They are much closer to Zero Hard than to Star or Champ (JL probably). I don't think that I want a soft disc. Seems it's more the surface that *feels* soft although the disc is stiff.

Maybe the Retro Line is more the plastic that I search. (But it breaks in quickly, I've read, which makes it problematic for Pures, as they'll probably lose their bit of stability quickly ...)

Zero Medium is by far my favorite plastic for Pures. I thought I might want Soft for Winters or Hard for Summers but it works well 12 months a year in a temperate climate (I'm in Charlotte, NC).

Latest posts