• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push Putt Issues

cornelius said:
yeah at the clinic I went to he spent about 10 mins on driving and the rest about the push putt. which was a slight letdown to me considering that is the main reason i went. Jubuttib, what did he teach you guys at the clinic about driving?

The grip, of which the new part to me was that pinky to middle finger should have 70% of gripping power and 30% on index and thumb. He taught a run up which is better what I used to have. He mentioned wrist extension and such. Pretty much the same stuff people teach you here, reach back, pull tight and such.

yeah, i thought it would really help to have someone right there giving hands-on advice but i thought we didnt spend enough tiome on the driving section

turso said:
cornelius said:
yeah at the clinic I went to he spent about 10 mins on driving and the rest about the push putt. which was a slight letdown to me considering that is the main reason i went. Jubuttib, what did he teach you guys at the clinic about driving?

The grip, of which the new part to me was that pinky to middle finger should have 70% of gripping power and 30% on index and thumb. He taught a run up which is better what I used to have. He mentioned wrist extension and such. Pretty much the same stuff people teach you here, reach back, pull tight and such.

I KNEW IT. All this time I've been trying to do like a 60/40 index&thumb to Pinky&Middle thinking I was ripping off the wrong fingers. I should have known better. Feldberg's breakdown of power % is just about exactly the grip weighting I've used since I learned about different grips. I think it was a big part of why I was able to learn to throw 400' much faster than the guys who introduced me to the sport.

cornelius said:
We did spend plenty of time on driving (maybe 5-8 minutes on approaching) and apart from grip and run up everything was the same stuff Blake and others advocate over here. Like turso said, "He mentioned wrist extension and such. Pretty much the same stuff people teach you here, reach back, pull tight and such.", elbow forward, right pec etc. He didn't really talk about the importance of timing yet, but he said he's coming back next year and doing the same clinic over again and an advanced clinic for those who participated this year, I believe he'll go more into specifics then. Come hell or high water, I'm going.

I have found that after quite a few hours trying to work on it, I still wasn't very consistent with Feldberg's push putt so I tried doing the exact same thing he teaches at his clinics but keeping a bent elbow the entire time instead of a straight-arm the entire time. I still sing my arm like a pendulum from the shoulder, it is just a shorter lever arm. I found that the left-right accuracy was much better than my usual putting style (don't even ask) and that I obviously couldn't keep my bent elbow completely locked, but that the combination of a shorter lever arm and a little spring from the elbow made it quite a bit easier to have a nice quick motion at the point of release.

JR said:
Even push putters benefit from short arming. And it shares the need for the disc to leave prior to the elbow becoming straight and a fast acceleration. The looser the arm muscles are the longer the throw will be due to added acceleration.

Talking of Feldy clinic he has a different definition of push putting I had when I wrote the above piece. According to Dave push putts have the elbow straight from start to finish. My definition when I posted the above was a very slight bend at the elbow.

JR said:
Talking of Feldy clinic he has a different definition of push putting I had when I wrote the above piece. According to Dave push putts have the elbow straight from start to finish. My definition when I posted the above was a very slight bend at the elbow.
That's what the says, not necessarily what he does, judging by some footage.

Jeronimo said:
turso said:
cornelius said:

I KNEW IT. All this time I've been trying to do like a 60/40 index&thumb to Pinky&Middle thinking I was ripping off the wrong fingers. I should have known better. Feldberg's breakdown of power % is just about exactly the grip weighting I've used since I learned about different grips. I think it was a big part of why I was able to learn to throw 400' much faster than the guys who introduced me to the sport.

Jesus christ how wrong you were! You better get on shifting that strenght to 70/30 so you can get over 350' at some point of your life!

/edit

on other note, the clinic's push putt instructions are gold. Sunk few really long ones today and anything under 10m is much easier than it used to be, sinking em a lot more than before. Just have to practice practice practice for few months to get the REAL confidence and repeatability into it.

turso said:
Jesus christ how wrong you were! You better get on shifting that strenght to 70/30 so you can get over 350' at some point of your life!

/edit

on other note, the clinic's push putt instructions are gold. Sunk few really long ones today and anything under 10m is much easier than it used to be, sinking em a lot more than before. Just have to practice practice practice for few months to get the REAL confidence and repeatability into it.

Iknorite?

call me ignorant but I did a general search and couldn't find anything specific explaining wrist extension. what is it?

cornelius said:
call me ignorant but I did a general search and couldn't find anything specific explaining wrist extension. what is it?

when it opens, or unbends.

with a push putt, wrist extension occurs when your hand moves from the front half of the disc to the back half of the disc. iow if 12:00 is the point on the disc closest to the target, and you're gripping somewhere between 12:00 and 3:00, then in order to have any "push" in your push putt, you have to get the hand into the 3:30 - 5:30 area at release. so you extend the wrist. for me the extension is pretty much automatic -- if i'm focusing on good finger spring and palm push, the wrist extension basically takes care of itself.

I put with a straight arm push put. My accuracy went through the roof when I transitioned from the spin put. Before I was missing 15 footers most of the time. My initial problem with the push put was getting enough momentum on the disc to make anything over a 5 footer. My solution was as my arm was lifting to the release it was in hyzer orientation but the second before the hit I sprung my wrist to flat as to do a handshake. This motion snaps the disc out, and as I practice the distance increases.

Another way to describe it would be until the second before the hit my palm is facing down. At that very last second right before my back leg is at full extension and my hand is at the height I want I turn my palm to the left quickly. Until that point I am lax and just letting the legs do the work.

As I was training myself to do this I would just think. "Hyzer to flat". Once I got this going it shaved so many strokes off my game.

MrScoopa said:
I put with a straight arm push put. My accuracy went through the roof when I transitioned from the spin put. Before I was missing 15 footers most of the time. My initial problem with the push put was getting enough momentum on the disc to make anything over a 5 footer. My solution was as my arm was lifting to the release it was in hyzer orientation but the second before the hit I sprung my wrist to flat as to do a handshake. This motion snaps the disc out, and as I practice the distance increases.

Another way to describe it would be until the second before the hit my palm is facing down. At that very last second right before my back leg is at full extension and my hand is at the height I want I turn my palm to the left quickly. Until that point I am lax and just letting the legs do the work.

As I was training myself to do this I would just think. "Hyzer to flat". Once I got this going it shaved so many strokes off my game.

Wow, thanks. That makes it a lot more simple for me to think about. For this putt I am at the point where most of the time I would be able to get the power, but on the ones I did it wrong I didn't know what was going wrong. Now with your help I realize I was doing that most of the time which was giving me the power. This is great because now I can get consistency by knowing what I have to do everytime.

I looked around quite a bit about what kind of hardness/putter is ideal for push putting but didn't find much of anything. Is something like a medium wizard perfect? Or should you be going even harder, like maybe a firm wizard...

Thanks for the help.

Planeman93 said:
I looked around quite a bit about what kind of hardness/putter is ideal for push putting but didn't find much of anything. Is something like a medium wizard perfect? Or should you be going even harder, like maybe a firm wizard...
Stiff is more important than hard . . .

A soft Wizard is just fine for push putting, or even a stiff supersoft.

Yeah, it's mainly about the stiffness. Soft Wizards can be plenty stiff, but they also have good grip, very good for push putting.

By hardness I really meant stiffness. The stiffness area you guys are talking about seems to be simply whether or not the disc bends...but doesn't the flight plate have to be stiff also? I know I can feel my thumb flexing the flightplates on the soft wizards I have.

I can't since I place my thumb right over my index finger.

And it's Gateway, their Softs can vary from SSS to Med. Try to find some stiff Softs to try out.

Latest posts