• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putt rolls but is stopped by player's bag?

So I am really the only person that has a serious problem with a player moving another player's bag without permission?

I'm with David on this. And in any case, I really don't see it as a rules issue anyway. What would be the purpose of a rule prohibiting players from touching/moving other players equipment? (except discs in play obviously)

So I am really the only person that has a serious problem with a player moving another player's bag without permission?

I would have that same problem. The RC needs to clarify this scenario, as well as this problem if touching other people's property.

I see it that way too. The guy put his bag on the downhill side of a downhill putt. I can see how he didnt think it was going to change his shot being 30+ feet away but there is always that chance.

If I moved it to save him a penalty (warning or a stroke) then thats pretty iffy.

This thread has opened the liveliest discussion i've seen on the BDGA forum in a while - http://www.bdga.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=202&start=100 after i posted to confirm the details of the incident i mentioned earlier in the thread.

Looks like the rule (interference and player equipment) will be looked at for the next update by the rules Committee. It certainly needs more clarification although how/what I have no idea.

In Bolf you always leave your bags off the green, but what would happen if you were putting on a sloping green and the ball rolled off the green and hit your bag stopping it rolling down a hill? Anyone know? Would you get to move your bag before taking the next shot? Would it just be play it where it lies? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be penalised for moving someones elses equipment out of the way? (not saying we should have the same rules but they have had a lot longer to cater for similar instances)

In ball golf, the current ball striker whose ball is in motion gets a 1-shot penalty if their equipment, caddie or he is struck by the ball if it's accidental (USGA 19-2). Another player or caddie is allowed to move the ball striker's equipment out of the way but is not obligated to do so (USGA 24-1).

I'm with David on this. And in any case, I really don't see it as a rules issue anyway. What would be the purpose of a rule prohibiting players from touching/moving other players equipment? (except discs in play obviously)

I could think of some wild scenarios where moving another player's equipment could cause a problem (maybe sabotage of a disc to make it illegal or discs falling out of the bag and rolling somewhere irretrievable), but in general I just don't like people touching my stuff without my permission.

Also, in a casual round I often have my beverage close to or even leaning on my bag. If my beverage were spilled I would be very upset.

I do find it interesting that bolf rules allow moving of other players' equipment.

In ball golf, it's less likely player equipment (other than balls) will accidentally be in the line of fire on the green since equipment is supposed to be kept off the green to start with.

I could think of some wild scenarios where moving another player's equipment could cause a problem (maybe sabotage of a disc to make it illegal or discs falling out of the bag and rolling somewhere irretrievable), but in general I just don't like people touching my stuff without my permission.

Also, in a casual round I often have my beverage close to or even leaning on my bag. If my beverage were spilled I would be very upset.

I do find it interesting that bolf rules allow moving of other players' equipment.

About 15 years ago, I played a number of tournaments with a guy who would warn people not to touch his disc. Anywhere, anytime. And he meant it.

So you're not alone, but in my personal experience the great majority of players I've played with don't care, or at least bite their lip.

In ball golf, it's less likely player equipment (other than balls) will accidentally be in the line of fire on the green since equipment is supposed to be kept off the green to start with.

Might as well penalize someone for not marking their disc, if it also stops a roll away disc. A tall lid could most certainly do that, isn't that interference as well? What if the player is in a wheelchair and they can't move fast enough? Amputee with one good leg? Consider all the variables.

Terrible interpretation of the rule in my book. But at least it's being looked at.

But that really isn't relevant as far as rules go, in my opinion. At least not that specifically. I guess you could call a courtesy violation for someone doing something unnecessary to your equipment. But really? "Here dude, you forgot your chair." "Don't touch my stuff! I call a courtesy violation on you"

...in general I just don't like people touching my stuff without my permission.

27dd39065116dd636291836c3b557377bd42c8e34d83bce986e9ff4fe0e604f0.jpg

13 hours and no one's made this joke yet? Shame on you DGCR.

But that really isn't relevant as far as rules go, in my opinion. At least not that specifically. I guess you could call a courtesy violation for someone doing something unnecessary to your equipment. But really? "Here dude, you forgot your chair." "Don't touch my stuff! I call a courtesy violation on you"

Seen that happen before, yes...some people are that crazy. I get the thought behind leaving my crap alone...but when it comes to someone just trying to help out or do me a solid? Sweet. If I'm ever in this position, I'd be good with someone moving my crap outta the way.

If like ball golf, it was a 1-throw penalty if your throw hits your equipment (versus just a warning), it might make players happier if another player moves their equipment out of the way.

The problems of interpretation always reside in the low probability cases. You may think you put your bag in a spot where it couldn't be hit, but there's an odd deflection and the bag is hit; you try to move your (or another player's) bag, but the rolling disc hits a pebble and hits you; an approach shot gets a bad tree kick and hits another player in your group, or a different group.

I think the RC is relying on players to make a fair interpretation consistent with the spirit of the game. There are too many opportunities for weird instances to write a rule that covers all low probability events.

If no one else could touch my stuff, I wouldn't have any stuff. They're always bringing me things I've left behind.

True that. I sure would be spending a lot less on discs and more on stools & umbrellas ...

I worked out a few years ago that through practice sessions on open fields and rounds over a few years I had probably lost around $500 worth of discs by just forgetting to pick them up after throwing - not even losing them.

I'm only in my thirties - can dementia set in already?

Please I implore you if you ever see my stuff pick it up and give it to me as I will almost certainly forget to.

So maybe the question should be are other players bags off limits (untouchable?) I get that you shouldn't leave your bag where in any scenario it might get hit with a disc (ie, keep it behind you on a putt). But I f you don't notice where another player leaves his bag before he throws, is it kosher to move another players equipment, or is it part of the course after he throws?

So maybe the question should be are other players bags off limits (untouchable?) I get that you shouldn't leave your bag where in any scenario it might get hit with a disc (ie, keep it behind you on a putt). But I f you don't notice where another player leaves his bag before he throws, is it kosher to move another players equipment, or is it part of the course after he throws?

It's not part of the course. This misconception that something becomes part of the course at the moment of release is entirely unsupported by the rules.

There's nothing in the rules that says you cannot move another players equipment. Therefore I'd say it's "kosher" to do so, particularly if the intent behind the move is to avoid potential interference with a moving disc.