• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter and Midrange Grip?

Chucktown

Eagle Member
Sorry for stealing the idea travis.

I want to know if anyone else uses these grips for their mids and putters. I have really large hands, I have trouble power gripping anything under a speed 7 because of the smaller rim.

So for my mids, I use a modified power grip, Picture this, I hole it like a normal power grip, but my middle and ring fingers are out straight resting in the middle of the disc.

When i am driving my putter, I have my pointer finger resting on the nose, like I am putting, my middle and ring fingers are fanned out resting in the middle of the discs, and my pinkie is gripped against the inner rim. I know this is weird, but I can throw my Wizard out there 240' now.

Does anyone else do something like this.

I use a three finger fork grip. Keeps the disc's plane aligned with my forearm.

Attachments

• IMG_0008_800x600.JPG
    IMG_0008_800x600.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0009_800x600.JPG
    IMG_0009_800x600.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 193
Learning from local pros, the modified power grip is clutch. I find that I overpower my midranges when gripping them like I do drivers.

With putters I also fan out my fingers across the underside of the disc (middle, ring, and pinkie) but I also move my thumb closer to the center of the discs. For me it feels like I have way more control when putting

The midrange grip:
CIMG1200.jpg

Putter grip
CIMG1203-1.jpg

I use that grip for mids and putters (usually.) I switch to a power grip when I want to make stuff more flippy. I don't know if that's something that's supposed to work like that, but there you go.

I've tried out the grip the OP was talking about for mids and putters. But I dont get the consistent results that I get with a fan grip

Dave Feldberg says something along the lines of "mids aren't meant to be powered, they are meant for control. i use a modified power grip. without even knowing, the champ, and shultz also made up and use the same grip for mids, if you use a power grip and overpower you're mids you'll just turn them over and be inconsistent"

I basically use Chucktown's grip for putts and approaches, but I use the fork grip for midrange shot(recently changed to this from the power grip).

I have been trying out a stack fan grip (pinky/ring on rim with middle fanned) for all putter/mid/fairway driver shots. It has made a huge difference in putting - wobble is gone - and has made my longer mid shots more accurate with less effort. I'm only using a regular power grip on D drivers.

My advice to everyone: TRY EVERYTHING. Any new grip is going to feel awkward for a week or two. Give it a try, and if its not working, move on. Everyone has different size fingers/palms and grip strength, there is a grip that is perfect for you but you have to be willing to put in the time to find it. Do it!

I use a modified Power/Fan grip. I hold the disc with my index and pinky fingers as if using a 4-finger power grip and I "fan"/stack my middle and ring fingers.

Like this:
Power-FanGrip.jpg
[/IMG]

Note: this is the grip I use for driving with putters and mids... not for putting.
DSCJNKY

I use a modified Power/Fan grip. I hold the disc with my index and pinky fingers as if using a 4-finger power grip and I "fan"/stack my middle and ring fingers.

Like this:
Power-FanGrip.jpg
[/IMG]

Note: this is the grip I use for driving with putters and mids... not for putting.
DSCJNKY

I use exactly that same grip, and was told to stop because I won't reach a higher level of snap. Sadly your grip is exactly what feels best for me, but my distance was creeping up switching.

I don't get it.

I use exactly that same grip, and was told to stop because I won't reach a higher level of snap. Sadly your grip is exactly what feels best for me, but my distance was creeping up switching.

I don't get it.

Interesting. How about your accuracy with the new grip?
And, who told you to stop???

On a related side note: I was sitting around my old home course (Sylmar) a year or so ago and people were showing their "putter" grips to each other. When Steve Rico (a good friend of mine) saw the way I hold my putters/mids for driving purposes, he excitedly said "That grip is the ****!"... and then he showed everyone his grip, which was almost exactly the same as my grip.

So??? I guess whatever works.

For me, I hold my putters that way for driving because it is the most similar grip to throwing an ultimate/freestyle disc.

DSCJNKY

dscjunky: I was using the same grip, but switched to the one I described above because it gave me a LOT more grip strength.

As far as it not giving you enough snap - that's a load of BS. I've talked to two pros who both use that same grip on EVERYTHING. I'm not saying you have to use it the same amount but it is legitimate. Local Baltimore pro Jim Myers and Brian Schweberger (played a practice round with him before Seneca Soiree a few weeks ago) both swear by it. They dont use a power grip for anything.

For mids, it depends. If I'm driving with my Buzzz (out to 325-350'), I'll use a modified power grip. I'm pretty accurate with this grip, and my distance is very consistent. But for approach shots that I don't use my putter on (I prefer my putter for approach shots unless the wind is too strong or I need to keep the disc low due to a low ceiling), I'll use a three finger fan grip.

Ive been using a stacked fork grip for mid and putter approach shots lately. Has helped greatly with my accuracy and have seem no loss in distance.
love this grip with my ion.

When I drive with my putter, I'll use a 3 finger stack fork grip.

This grip was recommended a while ago by a friend of mine that drives with his putter extremely well after he noticed the inconsistency with my putter drives. He stated that the reason to pull the pinky off the disc is that you are much less likely to grip-lock the disc, and the release is smooth and reliable every time. Since doing this small modification to my grip, my drives and my approaches have been pinpoint and the distance is phenomenal (for a putter at least).

Do any of you think that one of these grips enables you to produce more spin on your midrange or putter over the other?