• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter driving grips

jeremyhilss

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So I've finally started driving putters on shorter holes, and overall I'm loving it. But I'm noticing I'm getting really low distance. I'm currently using a typical fan grip.

Is a power grip something I should try with putters or should I just add more power and hyzer flip?

I think most players drive with some form of the power grip, with all discs. Try the power grip, and see how it works.

What putter do you use?

If you click the link in my sig you'll see the form and grip I use to drive putters 400'+, I'm using a standard 4 finger power grip.

I use the "Climo grip" when I'm throwing a drive or approach with one of my driving putters.

Here is a video of Climo explaining it himself.

Awesome thanks for the info. Had to subscribe to your channel Mike C that was a beautiful vid.

I can't power grip putters, and rarely ever power grip mids. I use a fan/modified fan grip.

I stack ring and middle finger on pinky and place index finger on rim. I use this grip off the tee for mids and putters. Sometimes I'll fan out the index and middle finger on the flight plate - usually with my soft judge on approaches.

3 finger power grip for me on nearly all drives. MIGHT go fan if it's a super shorty....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aogHbaQzixc

I go traditional power grip.

If you're truly driving, meaning you're ripping it, regardless of grip, the key seems to be that you really rip from the knuckle and thumb:

20131012214524_fn1602.jpg

Mike C., if you slow the video down, I noticed as you are starting your pull, you lift your pinky off the rim.

Before:
hdmszy5.png

After:
n3jostg.png

Do you notice yourself doing it?

Lol...MikeC looks possessed. "Disc, you are going fricken far!" :cool:

Classic! Yeah I notice it in my vids. I've tried to control it bit it always does that. Maybe if I learn to maintain a 4 finger grip I can hit 600' :/

It's interesting to me how absurdly nose-up my reach back looks.

I personally think any pinky pressure is counterproductive to get a good rip point from the thumb grip placement. Flexing the pinky finger into the hand makes for the tightest muscles also-- its how you can tell if you steak is well done.
(press pinky and thumb together and lower hand as well as wrist tendonds get tense and hard to the touch vs loose with a index or middle finger pinch)

Last edited:
Im only using an Aviar and a Pro Aviar. Im sure at some point Ill experiment with other putters. The power grip feels so wierd with such a deep rim i feel like the disc just flops in my hand wihout the fan grip :/

I use a three finger power grip, but only because my pinky is abnormally short comparied to my other fingers. I would imagine that a four finger grip is best if you can do it.

Latest posts