• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putter only rounds

Hartley444

Birdie Member
I am going to play putter only rounds for the next couple month to hopefully improve my game. For players who currently pkay putter only rds, are you power gripping off the tee and for max distance with putters?

i don't currently, but i did for a while.

always power grip for me. lots of people will fan grip for drives though. i just can't do it. i get a cleaner release and more control on a drive with power grip.

No, but I don't power grip anything.
Play around with it. Experiment. Have fun. Whatever is most comfortable and ultimately allows you to be most accurate with is fine.

Play around with it. Experiment. Have fun. Whatever is most comfortable and ultimately allows you to be most accurate with is fine.

Very much agree with this. I power grip my putters for driving purposes, and loosen the grip as the shots become shorter. But I don't fan grip. The index finger slides further up the rim until, for short approaches and putting, the rim is resting on the first crease of my index finger (closest to the fingertip). But again, you have to do what feels comfortable for your skill level and hand.

I used to do this occasionally and I did feel that my game improved a bit over the period I was experimenting this way.

Yes, I power grip.

As for putter only rounds, I've found that I play my best rounds of disc golf, with a full bag of discs, in the first round I play after a putter only round. I try to play one every month. It's hard in the winter when the sun goes down so early. I haven't played one since October. This weekend would be a good time. The weather is going to be great in DFW.

Simon throws putters 400+ with a fan grip. Shuestrick I believe switched to a fan grip on driving with putters also a few years back.

Simon throws putters 400+ with a fan grip. Shuestrick I believe switched to a fan grip on driving with putters also a few years back.

Shuestrick uses power grip for anything over 250 in his own words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vrqk5dUgU8#t=47

Ulibarri uses power grip for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzGm8L7O4qM#t=461

^apparently McBeth uses Power grip for everything (according to Ulibarri) in that clip too.

diffrent strokes (or in this case grips) for different folks... what ever works I guess.

I never have been able to power grip putters, I can't get a clean release. I use the same fan grip I approach with and I can still get a putter out to about 225-250.

I never have been able to power grip putters, I can't get a clean release. I use the same fan grip I approach with and I can still get a putter out to about 225-250.

Michael Johansen interestingly uses fan grip for everything and get his comet (an understable mid) out to 400ft and drivers to 500ft...

so whatever works.... i guess...

I am going to play putter only rounds for the next couple month to hopefully improve my game. For players who currently pkay putter only rds, are you power gripping off the tee and for max distance with putters?

Depends on the putter, but generally if I'm going whole hog I'm throwing an Envy or, more recently, a Scale. But I do this in normal rounds as well. I fan grip Polecats, Harps and Big Bead Aviars, even off the tee. I wish I could give some guru - like advice on why, but I really cant. It just feels right to me.

The important thing for putter only rounds is to not alter how you would throw a putter in a standard round. Of you always throw putters with a certain grip, don't change it for putter only rounds. Just use what is comfortable and gives you the best control. I'm not saying don't expire meet but don't get so focused on grip that you mess yourself up in the he long run. Putter only rounds are fun!

Gripping and ripping putters would not really do anything for my game. I will stick to a mid to get there.

I pinch grip mids and putters and modified power grip drivers... 2 finger stack for sidearm. This does not vary by distance.

No, but I don't power grip anything.

This^ Everyones hands/fingers are different sizes and what works for one won't for another. For years I tried throwing putters with power grip because I thought it was the "right" way to throw and had little to no control. I switched to the fan grip and the difference was immense. For me. For others the power works much better.

Putter only rounds are more than just form workers though - they teach you to think about your shot placement rather than just to wang it off the tee. This is the greatest thing to take away from putter only rounds. Threeing a decent length par 4 feels like an impossible task with just a putter and then you throw your putter 250' twice hitting the right line and predetermined landing zone and find you have just three'd a 500'+ hole.

I power grip putters. My grip doesn't quite look or feel like my power grip on other discs, but it hits all the important points from this article:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

FWIW, unless your goal is to get really, really familiar with your putters, spending a couple months on putter only rounds may be a bit of overkill. Generally the idea of putter or putter and mid only rounds is to get a better idea of what those discs are capable of on drives. That might only take a couple rounds rather than a couple months. The issue that could pop up is you may end up with nose angle issues because putters will fly far a little nose up while drivers won't.

ive always power gripped putters and thrown them well regardless of the mold from polecats to bowflys really. putters and mids are the easiest discs to do this with due to smaller rims.

Fan grip for finesse shots.

FWIW, unless your goal is to get really, really familiar with your putters, spending a couple months on putter only rounds may be a bit of overkill. Generally the idea of putter or putter and mid only.

Yep. wont really help you start throwing 400' or anything outside of some short game accuracy on likely just a specific short course.

Last edited:

Latest posts