• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter used as a Driver?

TripleB

Eagle Member
I'm a 50 year old newbie to disc golf and am putting together what I hope is a decent quality, affordable, starter bag to get me into this sport on the right foot. I've received an incredible amount of helpful advice over on the Newbie board but I have a question about a specific disc so I'm hoping this is the right spot for my question.

I have purchased the following disc: Innova Leopard DX 167g, Innova Shark DX 173g, and Innova Aviar P&A DX 175g. I'm also looking to add an Innova Teebird Champion 168g.

After watching numerous tournaments on YouTube I learned that many pros use a putter as a driver on what seemed to be shorter holes or holes with tight landing areas.

I would like to add a second putter to my 4 discs to use as a driver so I don't have to use the Aviar for both driving and putting. Not sure how the DX would hold up to doing double duty. My most local course only has 4 'open' holes with 20 running through the woods so accuracy is pretty important.

I was looking at the Innova Colt 175g putter to use as that specialized driver.

Would this be a good option?

If not, what other Innova putter/approach disc would you recommend for this purpose?

Thanks for any and all help!!!

TripleB

If your liking the aviar I would recommend getting another specifically for driving. Try it in star if your worried about durability. If your just starting out limiting variables is a good idea, so learn to use what you have already. Just my input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi TripleB

Having a throwing putter is a great idea, in my opinion.
You are going to get a ton of different suggestions, and there isn't necessarily a wrong answer. My suggestion is actually another Aviar. It will beat in over time, and perhaps become a pretty good longer range or turnover putter.

There are other putters that are more overstable than an Aviar, and because of this can be very good in certain situations, but for you, another Aviar is probably good.

I think the Champion Teebird is a great idea.
Be aware that the DX Leopard and Shark are going to beat in pretty fast.
I played a round yesterday on a rocky course with a DX Shark and DX Wolf. The Shark was my driver for the round. It got pretty banged up from hitting rocks and such, and its flight characteristics were noticeably changing as it continued to get beat up. By the end of the round, it actually wasn't a very good driver anymore; lost a lot of stability. This was in just one round. Basically, you will need a plan eventually for replacing the DX discs when they are super beat. The Champion plastic on the Teebird will last very long.

Also look into Gstar Teebird instead of champ. As a new player, a champ Teebird may be extremely overstable and many steps up from the DX Leo. This of course depends on your distance. If you can't get at least 250' out of the DX Leo then the champ Teebird will likely not fly well at all.

A good driving putter is a valuable tool in a complete bag and I think you're wise to avoid driving in the woods with your primary DX putter. The plastic will change flight characteristics and possibly be ruined by tree hits.

I bag several such putters and use a soft premium blend for wooded areas. Two reasons for this mainly: Premium plastic will generally absorb hard impacts with less resultant affect on flight characteristics and soft specifically because it will morph to absorb the blow of a tree hit, rather than to deflect or ricochet. Unless the shot is anything less than a graze, a soft neutron Envy (my tool of choice) will drop in place. Which ever make or model you choose, I'd recommend a firm and a soft premium blend for various uses.

The majority of time throw the slowest disc that will get you there. On average putters go straight with great glide or minimal fade.

Also requires good to great form t get real distance from them.

Stick with base plastic until you find one you like. Premium plastic is generally more stable with less glide than dx.

Try a discmania p2. They're actually a lot like avairs, only they fill your palm better. I was hesitant to try the p2 but now that I have it's my primary putter. They are indeed good throwing discs. If you're the adventurous type, check out Innova's XT nova. Definitely another of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Innova Star Stud is one idea. The Colt was mentioned above.

If you're willing to go with Innova's partner Discmania, the P2 would be an outstanding choice, especially in S-line or C-line.

And you might try a Champion Aviar P&A and/or a Star Aviar3. I found the Aviar3 to have surprisingly good distance.

Putters are great to throw off the tee. They tend to land softer, so stay closer to where they land generally. They glide well, and can be ranged easier at times.

As stated above, if I think I can get to where I want to land with a putter, that's what I'm throwing. DX aviars do some awesome things when you get used to them, and can straight up bomb when they get beat in.

If your just starting out limiting variables is a good idea, so learn to use what you have already. Just my input.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm coming from 45 years of playing tennis so I used to do the same thing when I was comparing racquets...same string, tension, etc.

Glad to hear some things will nicely carry over into my new sport!!!

My suggestion is actually another Aviar. It will bet in over time, and perhaps become a pretty good longer range or turnover putter.

I think the Champion Teebird is a great idea.

Be aware that the DX Leopard and Shark are going to beat in pretty fast. The Champion plastic on the Teebird will last very long.

Is there a better Aviar off the tee than the Aviar P&A?

The reason I ask is that there seems to be like a ton of different Aviar models: Yeti Pro, KC Pro, JK Pro, Aviar3, Driver Big Bead, the Classic.

Wasn't sure if one of those models was better off the tee than the standard Aviar P&A or the Colt for that matter.

If I had it to do over again I may have gone with a better plastic than the DX, but just starting out I was trying to get in as cheap as possible. Looking at better plastic with the Teebird and driving putter now though. At least I'll have the opportunity to make all my horrible beginner throws with a cheaper plastic :)

Also look into Gstar Teebird instead of champ. As a new player, a champ Teebird may be extremely overstable and many steps up from the DX Leo. This of course depends on your distance. If you can't get at least 250' out of the DX Leo then the champ Teebird will likely not fly well at all.

Thanks for the input. I looked at the GStar Teebird, then checked the Innova website, and it said that the GStar was extremely grippy....didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing for a driver.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice so far. Seems like all the advice in the newbie section has put me on the right path!!!

TripleB

Nah man, DX is where it's at for aviars, especially for putting. It's a super straight disc that will hold your line well. It's a perfectly fine driving putter in my opinion. Some like champion, more overstable putters for driving and approaching, and eventually you may find you want something a little different. If so branch out.

Personally I think it would benefit you as a player to stick to the aviar. When it starts turning too much, put a fresh one exactly the same as the first in. Start that cycle baby! That first aviar will be a money disc for you in a year or two, and the fresh ones will seem even better than that one seemed at first!

[/Quote]Is there a better Aviar off the tee than the Aviar P&A?

The reason I ask is that there seems to be like a ton of different Aviar models: Yeti Pro, KC Pro, JK Pro, Aviar3, Driver Big Bead, the Classic.

Wasn't sure if one of those models was better off the tee than the standard Aviar P&A or the Colt for that matter.

If I had it to do over again I may have gone with a better plastic than the DX, but just starting out I was trying to get in as cheap as possible. Looking at better plastic with the Teebird and driving putter now though. At least I'll have the opportunity to make all my horrible beginner throws with a cheaper plastic :)
[/QUOTE]

I am not the greatest authority on Aviars, but have thrown some. Lately, I tested out some Classic grid DX Aviars, and actually was rather impressed with them. They go very straight, and get good distance for a putter.
I suggest getting them at max weight 175g.

Don't feel bad about acquiring a disc or two that may not work out for you. There is a fair amount of trial and error involved in this process. And, you have a long way to go before you catch up to the pile of bad discs that I have gotten.

Hey there, fellow old guy here (I'm 44). I agree with the recommendation to get anther Dx Aviar as your throwing and upshot putter. You will get the opportunity to see how the disc changes as it wears and it will last for a good bit before it gets too "flippy". Once it gets too flippy, then get a new Dx Aviar as another thrower. Then you will have a stable and understable throwing putter.

Beware, throwing putters more than 150 feet when you are a beginner is difficult. They require good clean form and if you are rolling your wrist, the disc will tell you that. While it is difficult, it is exactly what you want to learn. If you can throw a putter like an Aviar hard and get it to hold a hyzer and not flip up and over and wobble all over the place, then you're doing it right. This will help your game tremendously in the long run.

I also agree with the gstar Teebird recommendation at 165-168 grams. They will start out plenty overstable for what you want it for and eventualky as you improve will become a workhorse reliable fairway driver that you reach for time and time again.

Is there a better Aviar off the tee than the Aviar P&A?

Wasn't sure if one of those models was better off the tee than the standard Aviar P&A or the Colt ...

Depends on the person. I prefer the P2, Aviar3, or Star Big Bead Aviar over the P&A off the tee, but others will prefer the P&A. Then some will prefer the Nova, which is an overmolded P&A...

Nah man, DX is where it's at for aviars, especially for putting. It's a super straight disc that will hold your line well. It's a perfectly fine driving putter in my opinion. Some like champion, more overstable putters for driving and approaching, and eventually you may find you want something a little different. If so branch out.

How will the DX plastic hold up to the trees, stumps, roots, rocks, etc. that a drive will hit that a putt typically shouldn't? How would the flight of the Champion plastic differ from the DX or the Star or the GStar plastic in the Aviar?

Thanks!

Don't feel bad about acquiring a disc or two that may not work out for you. There is a fair amount of trial and error involved in this process. And, you have a long way to go before you catch up to the pile of bad discs that I have gotten.

LOL...thanks, that makes me feel much better!!! That and the fact that a new disc is $15...while when I played tennis a new racquet was $150 :rolleyes:

I agree with the recommendation to get anther Dx Aviar as your throwing and upshot putter.

I also agree with the gstar Teebird recommendation at 165-168 grams. They will start out plenty overstable for what you want it for and eventualky as you improve will become a workhorse reliable fairway driver that you reach for time and time again.

As asked above, will the DX plastic hold up to the wear and tear off the tee?

I was looking at the Champion plastic of the Teebird at 168g...what advantage will going with the GStar give me over going with the Champion?

Again, I appreciate everyone's help!!!

TripleB

No DX will get beat up much easier. Champion takes a very long time to beat in, and will likely never wear out for us mere mortals. It's also typically more overstable, often slicker, and often doesn't glide as well.

In the world of aviars there are many choices. Big bead, yeti, JK pro, KC pro, Aviar driver all have a bead on the bottom of the rim. Some prefer that feel, others hate it, and others don't feel strongly about it. The P&A is the straightest to me, it tends to be generally stable, if thrown well will go pretty much in a straight line, or hold hyzer or anhyzer angles really well. The beaded ones are more overstable, and will tend to flex out of anhyzer lines.

Throw the P&A a bit and see what you can't make it do that you need it to, then go from there.

Honestly I would get a second DX Aviar. I personally think people overstate how fast DX beats in. Slower discs also beat in slower IMO. I generally get 2 to 3 months out of DX Gazelles before they end up in my flippy fairway driver spot. I had a DX Polecat in my bag for well over a year and the flight on that one didn't really change. I play basically only wooded courses. Also having a DX Aviar will show you how disc beat in and it will give you a flippy putter. Then you can add a premimum version to take the original spot. Then you have your main putter and your two main approach putters the same mold which I think is a good thing.

Also two more options in the Aviar family are the Omega and Omega Big Bead. Millennium is molded by Innova. The Omega is a P&A with a small bead and the Omega Big Bead is a Omega with a bigger bead

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No DX will get beat up much easier. Champion takes a very long time to beat in, and will likely never wear out for us mere mortals. It's also typically more overstable, often slicker, and often doesn't glide as well.

So are you advising to go with the DX or the Champion? Excuse my ignorance, but why doesn't a Aviar DX and an Aviar Champion/Star/XTPro/GStar/etc. fly the same if they are the same mold and weight but just a different plastic?

Thanks in advance for explaining this!!!

Honestly I would get a second DX Aviar. Also having a DX Aviar will show you how disc beat in and it will give you a flippy putter. Then you can add a premimum version to take the original spot. Then you have your main putter and your two main approach putters the same mold which I think is a good thing.

Sorry, but what does a "flippy putter" mean and how does the DX getting beat in help/hinder putts or the flight of the disc?

Again, thanks to all!!!

TripleB

Latest posts