• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putters Anonymous

aphilso1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I think I have a problem and need to join a club or something. There have to be other people out there with the same problem, right? And that problem is that I love putter molds.

Envies. Judges. Proxies. Bergs. Crowns. Colts. Heck, even discs that barely qualify as putters like Zones. They're all good in their own special way. How does one decide on just one or two to bag?

My fairway drivers stay pretty much the same. Ditto with midranges. My distance drivers fluctuate, but that's because I hate them all (well...if I'm being honest i just hate the results I get). Not the same as my putter problem -- I LOVE them all.

Maybe you're like me. Do you find great joy in piping an Aviar down a tunnel while your buddy throws his Destroyer into the junk? Do you struggle to whittle your bag down to just 4 or 5 putter molds? Do you man crush on James Conrad's beautiful style, and say "meh" to Eagle smashing on a Max? If so, know you are not alone! The struggle is real, but we can get through this together. We are Putters Anonymous. :hfive:

I use the rule of 3. 1 for OS duites, 1 for straight shots, and 1 for US duties. I feel if you have more than that you are overlapping too much. You should be able to produce all shot shapes with those 3 molds.

Mvp/Axiom putters confuse my bag. They go so damn far i sometimes have to choose between a mvp putter and a fairway driver.

I use the rule of 3. 1 for OS duites, 1 for straight shots, and 1 for US duties. I feel if you have more than that you are overlapping too much. You should be able to produce all shot shapes with those 3 molds.

Mvp/Axiom putters confuse my bag. They go so damn far i sometimes have to choose between a mvp putter and a fairway driver.

I made this thread with tongue planted firmly in cheek, but I do love lots of putter molds. Right now I'm bagging a Zone for OS, and Judges for all other driving and putting. I added a Berg a month ago for upshots and driving on really short holes, since the gap between a Berg and a normal putter is abut the same for me as my gap between a putter and a mid. So I do currently prescribe to your 3 mold strategy, just in a slightly different way.

That being said, I was doing field work this evening with a stack of putters in various molds, and it was hard not to put them all in the bag afterwards. :) And you are so right on the gyro putters. They are great, but the don't play nice with the rest of my bag. I was smashing on a Proxy tonight better than anything else -- just a long straight throw with no turn and negligible fade.

I love throwing putters too.

One of my favorite things to do is go to my local 9 hole pitch and putt with 4 different putter molds, play them all keeping score. You learn what you can really do with a putter that way. Yesterday I played a round with a Nova, Pa2, Rhyno and an Aviar P&A, along with my putting putter. It's a very satisfying way to play sometimes.

It was messing with my putting a bit though, so this year I also bring my normal putting putter too and all normal putts are done with it. Also increases my putting practice because I'm always putting from different distances and angles.

Thing is, when I have a good round with something (like yesterday with the Pa2), I go wow! maybe I should try some in a different plastic? So, I go home and load up an online order cart with excitement! I think about it for a while and just empty the cart. I don't need any more freaking putters! Or do I?:D

This is a problem I need to develop. More putters? Yes. Then I need to go play putter vs putter rounds like Keller suggested.

Is it me or do putters that have had the crap beat out of them rule? Last summer a friend found an old caved in base plastic Zone. He gets awesome consistent distance from it.

I thought this was going to be a club for people who constantly switched putters, this is a nice surprise actually. I love throwing putters but don't carry very many. Basically just have a steady and a breaker for throwing, but I use them whenever I can

I do not Switch Putter molds for putting but is 3 molds too many putters? One for Uphill/Downhill #2 Upshot in Prostyle at 166 grams originally, then Magnet in Jawbreaker 175 grams, and finally Proline Titanic 173-174 grams originally mostly for temps over 90 f, tight gap putts to save the Jawbreaker Magnet's, and Proline Titanic discs are for slight higher winds 25 mph to 30 mph all these uses as long as temps are over 50 F or the smooth part on the discs outer makes the Proline Titanic hard to grip.

I totally would carry like 8 putter molds if I had a larger bag than a Grip C.
I'm trying to carry a true mid now though, so my 3 are Berg, Pilot, and Polecat.

I too love putters.

I finally got it down to 3 molds.

Pig, P2, Omega SS

I could play almost any course and score the same as my full bag with just those molds. 5 total discs.

Some courses I might even shoot better. Idlewild for example.

I bag 6 putters in 4 molds.

Pilot, strictly for putting.
Lightning Upshot, for lid things.
Opto Pure, main driving and approach putter.
Zero Medium Pure, for shots that I don't want to fade as much and shots that might go in the water.
Megasoft Pure, for turnovers, hyzerflips, and upshots that need to stick.
Zone.

I, too, love putters. Have been bagging Judge, Pure, Envy, Zone for a good while now but have tried tons of different ones for various lengths of time. I have a Blowfly coming in the mail soon, along with a Sapphire, which I am hoping will be a great driver for me.

I have found myself bagging probably too many putters but I dont feel like I can play as well without them all.. I only have 3 molds. But I currently have 4x 300 PA1, 2x BT hard Harp, 2x proD Zone, 1x ESP Zone. They all serve a purpose for me.

PA1 for any backhand that needs to finish flat, sometimes for akward forehand putts, and all regular putts and upshots. Harp for touch forehands and power straight backhands with a flex. Zone for forehands from turnovers to hyzers, mostly straight hyzer flips though. Zone is rarely used backhand, very rarely.

I, too, love putters. Have been bagging Judge, Pure, Envy, Zone for a good while now but have tried tons of different ones for various lengths of time. I have a Blowfly coming in the mail soon, along with a Sapphire, which I am hoping will be a great driver for me.

What do you use your Judge and Envy for? Those are two of my absolute favorite putter molds, but I didn't find them to coexist very well in my bag. Envy is a little faster and more HSS, Judge a little slower and easier to work angles with...but overall they are a similar enough stability that I felt I just needed to pick one and stick with it. I chose Judges this year because they are more versatile for me and I putt with them now too, but you can never go wrong with relying on Envies!

Funny enough, I am toying with throwing the Envy's kid brother, the Proxy, back in the bag, albeit in a small well-defined role. I play a lot of long tunnel shots, and the Proxy is such a good disc for just ripping hard, flat, and straight down a hallway.

I take Emoney's approach:

Star Mirage for US shots
XT Bullfrog for straight shots, and my main putting putter
R-Pro Rhyno for OS shots

I try others that I own from time to time, but those three always seem to stay.

I use EMoney's logic for putters off the tee (Envy, Mercy, Deputy), but I bag three more molds for specialty roles. GG Sonic for low power turnovers in the woods & running long putts, Harp for approach, and Warden for most putting.

I use EMoney's logic for putters off the tee (Envy, Mercy, Deputy), but I bag three more molds for specialty roles. GG Sonic for low power turnovers in the woods & running long putts, Harp for approach, and Warden for most putting.

This is logic I can get behind. Ideally I'd like to use fewer molds and give each disc more roles, but I think that is hard to do with putters. Mids, fairways, and drivers are more straightforward -- having one to go Left/Straight/Right covers almost all roles. Toss in a utility disc and you're good to go.

But putters are asked to do so many different things. Yes, there is the standard drive left/straight/right need, but then there is also putting. And approach shots are their own unique thing, because a great approach disc has to be able to power down a lot more than any other disc in the bag. Maybe one of your driving putters can do that, but maybe not. And maybe you actually need multiple approach discs, one to cover OS and one to cover US.

Then again, maybe I'm just trying to justify bagging more putters because I love them. :)

What do you use your Judge and Envy for? Those are two of my absolute favorite putter molds, but I didn't find them to coexist very well in my bag. Envy is a little faster and more HSS, Judge a little slower and easier to work angles with...but overall they are a similar enough stability that I felt I just needed to pick one and stick with it. I chose Judges this year because they are more versatile for me and I putt with them now too, but you can never go wrong with relying on Envies!

Funny enough, I am toying with throwing the Envy's kid brother, the Proxy, back in the bag, albeit in a small well-defined role. I play a lot of long tunnel shots, and the Proxy is such a good disc for just ripping hard, flat, and straight down a hallway.

I putt with my Fluid Judge and use the Envy for throwing. Envy is my favorite throwing putter and one of my favorite discs period. I rarely throw the Judge because, as you said, there is some overlap between the two. Envy is better for throwing because I can rip it a little harder and it's better for spike hyzers in the wind and hyzer lines generally.

The size of my bag determines the number of putters I carry.

Nutsack: 2 of 6
Crunchbox: 5 of 15
Jetpack: 6 of 21
Golf Mahal: 7+ of 25+ (bag will hold about 36, if memory serves correctly)

I usually bag 1-2 Wizards...need to add a fresh one though. Sometimes an OS putter drops in, but not always.

Latest posts