• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting and Breathing

shyguy30

Bronze level trusted reviewer
I had finally gotten fed up with missing about half of my 20-30 foot putts so I set out on Saturday to spend some time developing the all important pre-putt routine. I tried everything. Focusing on the link I wanted to hit, different weight shifts, stances, etc with little result. Then I decided to incorporate breathing into my routine. I thought back to my high school basketball routine, and started using it before putting with astonishing results. I take three "dribbles" then putt. As I start the second dribble I begin taking a breath, and start exhaling during the second half of the third dribble continuing through the actual putting motion. All of a sudden I was making about 70-80% of my putts up to about 45 feet.

For full disclosure most of my misses (prior to this change) were cage hits or coming up short, or occasionally yanking one to the right. Does anyone else incorporate a breathing routine into their putting? Am I crazy? Just curious.

That's sounds like a good idea, Shasta Chris uses his breathing to concentrate when he putts also...ima try this next time I'm out practicing

Also a former basketball player, I find myself reverting to my foul shot routine for putting...breathing is definitely important in this. Sounds like something similar to what military snipers do when taking a shot. It's all about minimizing involuntary body controls.

I exhale as im in the putting motion. Seems to work.

Breathing is the most important part of my routine.

I don't think it matters what you do, per se, so much as you keep it consistent.

Always putt on the exhale. I found that it makes a huge difference.

The rest of your routine will be tailored to you personally but the breathing should be pretty uniform.

This is a good one to add to my list of keys to check when my putting starts to go south. First and foremost (for me) is remembering to finish with my hand pointing toward the basket (shaking hands).

I posted about breathing once, it was my first and got flamed. It still holds water if you look it up.
With my Martial Arts backround it only seemed natural.

I think putting just really comes down to being able to feel comfortable, confident, and being able to block all thoughts out. Literally not think. Thinking just leads to little changes in your motion and inconsistency. Youre just throwing a disc. Straight. It's an easy thing to do for most of us! I think we all get too thinky. Just do it. And if breathing helps, go for it!

The best advice that I have heard is to exhale while putting. "Blow the disc into the basket" It made sense to me, and increased and stabilized my putting and focus.

I had finally gotten fed up with missing about half of my 20-30 foot putts so I set out on Saturday to spend some time developing the all important pre-putt routine. I tried everything. Focusing on the link I wanted to hit, different weight shifts, stances, etc with little result. Then I decided to incorporate breathing into my routine. I thought back to my high school basketball routine, and started using it before putting with astonishing results. I take three "dribbles" then putt. As I start the second dribble I begin taking a breath, and start exhaling during the second half of the third dribble continuing through the actual putting motion. All of a sudden I was making about 70-80% of my putts up to about 45 feet.

For full disclosure most of my misses (prior to this change) were cage hits or coming up short, or occasionally yanking one to the right. Does anyone else incorporate a breathing routine into their putting? Am I crazy? Just curious.

That is interesting to read as I started doing the exact same thing yesterday with my 20-30ft putting procedure. I kept going between split stance or one foot behind, but in the end my breathing pattern is what made my percentage go up. I started the night hitting 40-50% but when I developed a constant breathing pattern then shot it went up to 75-80%. I equated this to shooting free throws as well. I am super excited to hit my home course today to see if I can translate backyard improvement to actual improvement.

its like shooting a gun. exhale before you pull the trigger if you want to hit the deer.

Actually it's different concept entirely.

When you're shooting you exhale before you pull the trigger to calm your heart rate down, and so you aren't expanding your lungs and moving while you're pulling the trigger. With DG, you're exhaling AS you're throwing instead of before, to exert more force on the throw.