• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting focus points

slowRoll

Banned
I want to hear if some of our better putters relate to what I'm about to say, and as always, I want to help out those of you that may be struggling with "finishing the hole". For me, putting has always been the easy part. The teebox is where things get sketchy. I joke sometimes that in doubles, I have my partner handle the first 90% of the hole and I'll handle the last 10% of it.

So what do we know about putting that we can all agree on?

1.) Its bad to just stare at the target as a whole. Aim big = miss big. You need to aim small, so that if you do miss, you miss small. I think this one is really just about making yourself focus on what is in front of you. If you focus in, you won't even see that dog running by or hear somebody's phone going off.
2.) Routines are good. It doesn't matter if you rock back and forth, get perfectly still, or scratch your ear. If you find a good routine, stick with it and develop that consistent rhythm.
3.) Balance is everything. If you can't control yourself, you can't control the disc. Always do your very best to get good footing and achieve a strong athletic position to putt from.
4.) Let the last one go. You missed, get over it. We all miss. Don't be an idiot. Don't yell; kick your bag, or any other form of getting "Frumpy" TM. It's done, move on. Dwelling on that miss will cause you to miss the next one. Let it go.
5.) Its just golf. Don't press. The reason why they say some guys have ice water in their veins is because they putt for the win, just like they putted #38 out of 50 in warm-ups. It doesn't matter what is riding on it. You have to trust your technique and execute exactly like you practiced. Trying too hard, or trying to do too much will make you miss.

I'm sure there are dozens more, but most of us can agree on these.

Today I wanted to ask if any of you think that sometimes we go too far with our focus. I have found that if I stare too long at the target before I putt, I will miss. The last year or so I have also gone from aiming at a single link.
picture.php

to just using the lower middle section of the pole as a target.
picture.php

My single link was always just right of center because I spin putt with Wizards. I've had more success by doing what Ken Climo told us at his putting clinic recently. By just aiming at the pole, I am having less spit outs and left/right misses and my confidence is soaring. By just using the lower middle section of the pole I am also missing high less thus reducing blow-bys. Aiming at a bigger target seems counter-intuitive to the aim small = miss small that we've heard preached for years, but for me, the proof is in the pudding. What do you think? Do we try to make things too hard by overthinking them? Where is your focus target area at when you are putting? And if you did make an adjustment from point A to point B like I have, how has it worked out for you?

I want to hear if some of our better putters
Breaking this rule. I'm not better than you.

1.) Its bad to just stare at the target as a whole.
Probably one of my mistakes these days.

2.) Routines are good.
I like mine. I ALWAYS have a putter in hand, and in off hand.

3.) Balance is everything.
Isn't it a rule too? Either way, I can balace pretty well. I do it at work, with life on the line.

4.) Let the last one go.
Harder than it sounds, yet neccessary to focus on the next throw.

5.) Its just golf.
Golf and Dollars. Mostly we have dollars on the game. probably not helping me. Always interesting tho. BTW I won yesterday.

The last year or so I have also gone from aiming at a single link.
picture.php
Never worked for me.

to just using the lower middle section of the pole as a target.
picture.php
Here we go. I like this. I actually have neglected using a focal point lately due to other changes getting in the way (new putters, new release point). I do know I have had success focusing on the back of the basket.

Thanks for walking me thru the basics again. Refreshing is always good. With luck you've improved my putting for todays dollar game.

I find the single link focus to be helpful for my game. I adjust my exact target link based on distance from the basket and wind conditions. This allows me to dial in enough power for each shot without having to concentrate on exactly how hard I'm throwing. If I am for a low link, my body just naturally dials off the power. If I am for a high link, my body ratchets it up.

You know, it is an interesting thought because focusing on the single link has never really worked for me either. My best results lately have been from me putting with authority rather than just throwing to the basket, but I really want to rework my putting style and nail down a set routine motion I use every time. Between this and the thread with all the different forms; I have a lot to work with.

...My best results lately have been from me putting with authority rather than just throwing to the basket...

I didn't even consider that; But now that you mention it, maybe aiming at the pole is helping me to "throw through it, not to it" too. The links are closer, so maybe aiming for the pole will help me crash in there more consistently instead of coming up short on longer putts.

I focus on the link that is to the right and down about 2-3 inches from the link in your pic. People have to find which grip they like to put with, but having the nose of the disc slightly up seems to get the disc to the basket without dive bombing to the ground. The last thing is to just keep a clear mind, see the shot, and MY FAVORITE...focus on the chain link throughout the motion of the putt.

The more and more I putt using this method, it seems the only times I am missing for shots within 20 feet is that i took my eye off the link during the putt. Like you said, not a big miss, but a miss indeed.

I aim for a link low right
but I always seem to miss left
it's broken confidence and broken technique
confidence: I think I am scared to miss right and blow by so unconsciously hit the left side so that I hit chains, chain out and drop in (with the odd one going in)
technique: instead of pulling my arm up through the pole I actually pull it up off centre left, or I try too hard and push my right shoulder forward which also takes me left of the intended line

what really really really bothers me is that I know where I break down and just can't seem to get it fixed

I aim for a link low right
but I always seem to miss left
it's broken confidence and broken technique
confidence: I think I am scared to miss right and blow by so unconsciously hit the left side so that I hit chains, chain out and drop in (with the odd one going in)
technique: instead of pulling my arm up through the pole I actually pull it up off centre left, or I try too hard and push my right shoulder forward which also takes me left of the intended line

what really really really bothers me is that I know where I break down and just can't seem to get it fixed

A bit of advice that I recieved some time ago may help you, it has helped my immensly. Dont' try to adjust your point of aim, your release point, or your putting motion. Instead, adjust the point in which you start your putting motion. If you find yourself missing left, adjust the starting point of the disc slightly to the left, but maintain the same release and aim point. For instance, if you normally start your swing at your belly-button, adjust by starting the putt just left of that. Does that make sense?

Just FYI, keeping your balance isn't a hard and fast rule. You can fall backward 100 feet off a cliff if you want, and as long as you demonstrate balance at some point before you move toward the hole, you are okay. (that's what rule interpreters have told me).

I putt with hyzer so I aim more right than the picture shows. Aiming to the right of the basket if you throw RHBH will create more success in putting because the disc will naturally roll left due to spin when it hits the chains.

Another tip I find helpful is to make sure your index finger is your only release point. This makes aiming consistently much easier.

If you find that you leave your putts short a lot, you are probably focusing on the front chains on the basket. Try picking out some of the back chains and focusing on them.

Shuffle around. When you get up to your disc shuffle your feet a bit until you are comfortable with the stance the lie is forcing you in.

The biggest tip is confidence. Throw it like you know its going in and it probably will.

A bit of advice that I recieved some time ago may help you, it has helped my immensly. Dont' try to adjust your point of aim, your release point, or your putting motion. Instead, adjust the point in which you start your putting motion. If you find yourself missing left, adjust the starting point of the disc slightly to the left, but maintain the same release and aim point. For instance, if you normally start your swing at your belly-button, adjust by starting the putt just left of that. Does that make sense?

It makes sense to me. I bowled for 20 years and was always told that if I am missing left to move myself left. It was weird but always worked.

As far as a focus point, I try to find something on the pole itself, a paint mark, ding, small moth, something to focus on a point. If I am further than my comfort zone but still want to "go for it", I will move my aim point to the right of the pole and pick anything I can find in that area to account for the fade of the disc.

I too have tried do the one link aim point but it has not worked well. But aiming at the pole has helped me out tremulously. And depending on how far away I am I just adjust my aim up or down the pole.
Biz

interesting

I'll give it a try

I normally stand right foot forward and bring the disc up from just above my right knee

if I understand correctly you guys are suggesting bringing it up from the left of there i.e. perhaps from my left thigh

interesting

I'll give it a try

I normally stand right foot forward and bring the disc up from just above my right knee

if I understand correctly you guys are suggesting bringing it up from the left of there i.e. perhaps from my left thigh

Basically, yes. Start with very small adjustments, and work from there. You would be surprised the difference a half inch change of the starting point will make. Starting from the left thigh may be a little too much. After a few putts you should be able to dial it in. Let me know how it goes.

I have started aiming at the pole lately,and today was one of my best putting days,my driving today not so much :).

But regardless I think I drained 5 or so 30+'s,wish I didn't have to be that far out in the first place,but it was nice to sink pretty much everything for once,it felt good.

AIM WITH YOUR HIPS. Get them perpendicular to the basket. Your feet can be pointed any way after that. But if your hips are facing the basket and you putt straight away from your body, then missing left or right wont happen so often. Ever notice how many pros straddle putt. Coincidence?

AIM WITH YOUR HIPS. Get them perpendicular to the basket. Your feet can be pointed any way after that. But if your hips are facing the basket and you putt straight away from your body, then missing left or right wont happen so often. Ever notice how many pros straddle putt. Coincidence?

Ever notice how many pros don't stradle putt? Coincidence?

I don't think anyone can prove that stradle putting is superior (or inferior, for that matter), expecially when Ken Climo and Dave Feldburg don't use it as their primary style.