• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting from "on-top" or "below" basket

whatariot7

Hey everyone,

Recently I've run into some trouble putting (inside the circle) when being below or above the basket. Ex: 15-25 out from the basket by distance, but 5-10ft difference in altitude from the chains. This is not exclusive to double or triple poles, but most definitely inclusive. Obviously, the closer and higher you are from the basket, the smaller the window becomes. Any tips on putting up to or down to such a window to avoid landing on top, "whiffing", or driving into the ground?

Thanks in advance!

Change your point of focus. Above the basket, I'm pretty much shooting for the top of the cage. Below, I'm usually aiming top ring. Flat ground, dead center. In most cases, shooting from below gives you a bit more leeway...don't be afraid to gas it.

I putt with disc upside down (45 degree angle) over my head to have a higher release point when basket above me.

down hill putts: you can get on your knee or knees or try moving your center of gravity closer to the ground by widening your stance.

up hill putts: you want to stand taller to the basket by keeping your feet closer together and your putting motion should start around your belly button and release around your chin or nose.

Putting up - chin up
Putting down - chin down
It's really all about your aiming point.

Putting up - chin up
Putting down - chin down
It's really all about your aiming point.

I agree with this but I always try to putt with my chin up only to ensure that my hand will release towards the chains. When I'm putting downhill I change the focus of my eyes to the lower/middle of the chains. When putting uphill my focal point all depends of the severity of the hill...when the basket is head height I aim for just below the top chain. If the basket is above my head I try to aim above the basket and try to float it in there so it drops into the chains on its descent. I've been practicing on being a lot firmer on my severe uphill putts and trying to putt through the chains instead of lofting the putter up there. The results have been 50/50 with making it or having a decent lenght par save coming back.

Uphill: Slight hyzer at the bottom of the rim. Don't be afraid to commit to the shot; if you don't you'll come up shot every time.

Downhill: Aim slightly right of the basket (for rhbh). Throw flat with a little spin and let it fade right on in

Latest posts