• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting from up close.

Missing short putts is usually cured by a simple strategy: aim for the heart of the chains and give it power (hitting those putts with confidence will give you confidence). I find that over-thinking the 'testers' or easy ones is a good way to miss them. Smash it in that basket instead of tossing it and hoping.

Okay so most threads are about tips for being a better putter and making longer putts but I have the opposite problem as of lately. I am completely rebuilding my game trying to emphasize form above all else and it's worked well so far. My problem lies with close up putts though the 10-12 ft. gimmes end up missing high or missing low. Is this just a nerves thing or is their something I can do to help alleviate it. Any advice is appreciated.

I do a lot of Straddle Putts and when you are close they just get easier.

Try out the Straddle Putt and see if you like it up close. Even if it doesn't work too well it's always good to practice straddle putts as much as regular putts.

That Mark Ellis Confidence program is pretty good too. I've pointed people to it and it has helped a ton of people out that I know.

the easiest for me is to just do the same routine for 15 and in as I would 15 and out take just as long to set it up and throw it just as hard, i used to have this problem but started putting with the same power and not trying to power down those short putts. giving that less effort i thought the shot required is wht always messed me up.

Missing short putts is usually cured by a simple strategy: aim for the heart of the chains and give it power (hitting those putts with confidence will give you confidence). I find that over-thinking the 'testers' or easy ones is a good way to miss them. Smash it in that basket instead of tossing it and hoping.

There's more than a bit of truth to this. :thmbup:

Okay so most threads are about tips for being a better putter and making longer putts but I have the opposite problem as of lately. I am completely rebuilding my game trying to emphasize form above all else and it's worked well so far. My problem lies with close up putts though the 10-12 ft. gimmes end up missing high or missing low. Is this just a nerves thing or is their something I can do to help alleviate it. Any advice is appreciated.

Just a matter of taking as much movement out of the equation as possible.
It will definitely help you to be more consistent. Watch the video below and you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tc6WXu0agM

It helps me to make sure I bend my knees and get in a solid putting stance. This will minimize putting too high. Get low and slam them chains.

Latest posts