• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting frustration

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
So I have watched dozens of putting videos from David fieldbergs to many other popular ones. I really am struggling with getting the disc to "glide". I guess what I am saying is that I just "don't get" what's going on when I try to push put. I feel like I'm just lobing the disc and it never looks like it should. Any suggestions?? I have a wizard in sss plastic and a envy in neutron.... Should I change putters too? Thanks!!

Hi. I'm new to the sport as well and had similar putting issues. Practice has helped immensely building the wrist strength to get that glide and nice release. Really focusing on using my legs made the biggest difference though for any distance. I putt with max weight soft Wizards and Nuetron Ions (really stiff putters).

Yep, getting a smooth push, and good "pop" is what I have been working on. Push putt is one pivot point to me, the shoulder. The rest of the arm swings vertically from the shoulder for me. When I get to release, I get a little pop from pushing the disc out of my fingers. Getting a good push with your legs really adds the bulk of the power. I'm finding in practice that I can get the disc around 50-60 feet without needing to add a jump when my leg timing is on.

Now aiming right, correct height, reading the wind are a whole different ball of wax!

Personally I think push putting is a load of crap. You can't push a disc. It must spin to fly.

Try to putt like this guy:

Regardless of what anyone says you must cock your wrist when putting, otherwise the disc will not spin when it leaves your hand. Just hold the disc with a gentle bend in your wrist and then open your hand when you putt. Keep your arm on a straight line with the pole. I have found it helps to really watch where you release the disc. Keep it straight in front of you right at the basket. Also putt on a slight hyzer. It is much more difficult to putt completely flat and the disc is more subject to move off its line. Notice how Paul's putts come in on a hyzer like he is bowling a strike.

I like to practice putting.

Personally I think push putting is a load of crap. You can't push a disc. It must spin to fly.

Regardless of what anyone says you must cock your wrist when putting, otherwise the disc will not spin when it leaves your hand. Just hold the disc with a gentle bend in your wrist and then open your hand when you putt. Keep your arm on a straight line with the pole. I have found it helps to really watch where you release the disc. Keep it straight in front of you right at the basket. Also putt on a slight hyzer. It is much more difficult to putt completely flat and the disc is more subject to move off its line. Notice how Paul's putts come in on a hyzer like he is bowling a strike.

Yup pushing putting is a load of crap. That's why you discribe how to push putt pretty darn well...???? Paul is a push putter btw

Can you explain exactly what a "push putt" is?

The disc/hand moves on a vertical plane. The disc is drawn down toward your pelvis and extended toward the basket with a straight elbow. Energy is driven from the legs with a emphasis on a weight shift. The stroke is vertical. Amount of wrist cock and finger sping are used to impart spin, which varies by player preference tho the stroke is the same.

A spin putt is on a horizontal plane. The energy for the putt is generated by bringing the disc in toward the body, which cocks the elbow.

Basically, spin putt = horizontal stroke with a cocked elbow. Push putt = verticle stroke with a straight elbow. The rest is window dressing.

Right. I have seen a few people who seriously "spin putt" (which is what I thought I was doing but I guess not) and yea they draw their arm towards their chest and basically throw the disc at the basket.

I just think the way Feldberg explains it is a bit confusing. He makes it sound like you don't move your wrist at all and basically toss a floppy pancake at the basket.

Oh, disc golf semantics...

I just think the way Feldberg explains it is a bit confusing. He makes it sound like you don't move your wrist at all and basically toss a floppy pancake at the basket.

Oh, disc golf semantics...

Yeah feldy is tricky to try and learn from. He's a good instructor, but sometimes he really goes down the rabbit hole, and sometimes what he says and what he does are two different things.

One thing I try to teach people is that there is a spectrum of spin/and speed with push putting and you can prefer to be anywhere. There are some guys who push putt like barbarians, brinster comes to mind.

I just now got into a putting groove that I like. It's kind of a spin/push hybrid. I find if I simply push putt, I don't get the glide (as you're talking about); but if I only spin putt, I drift right consistently.

I picked up two Harps and two Pures, one hard and one soft of each, and varied distances. I found that putting more spin on a Harp kept it on a straight line with a very predictable fade. I use these for short and mid range putts. If I push the Pures with just a little spin, it keeps them in the air for those longer shots.

Hope this helps!

Yeah feldy is tricky to try and learn from. He's a good instructor, but sometimes he really goes down the rabbit hole, and sometimes what he says and what he does are two different things.

One thing I try to teach people is that there is a spectrum of spin/and speed with push putting and you can prefer to be anywhere. There are some guys who push putt like barbarians, brinster comes to mind.

Wait... you mean the Brinster butt bump? :D

Haha yea I have noticed that Feldberg is knowledgeable but he tends to make things too complicated. Overthinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind ;)

See how his putts glide though on longer putts? My like I have to pretty much throw the disc with a huge hyzer for anything beyond like 25 feet... As in I can make it glide straight

McBeth has insane spin on his putt, he generates a lot of power from his fingers. I think a lot of misconception between the two is people think a push putt doesn't have to spin. If you're not snapping the fingers to get spin, or activating the wrist to get spin, you're not going to be too consistent outside of 15-20 feet unless you're putting that big hyzer on it and throwing it high. I think a more accurate description of what people who think they push putt do is "lob" putt. Nikko used to lob putt quite a bit from like 20ft and in, disc had a high arch line from the hand and dropped in the basket. Recently he's putt more spin on the disc and has a straighter trajectory to the basket. As a new player start at like 15 feet, focus on getting that down and focus on really honing your putting style. Get a good push off with your fingers and generate a lot of snap to put spin on the disc. From 15 you should be able to putt right at the basket. The further out you go the more hyzer you can put on the disc. Typically, for me at least, a hyzer putt (nothing crazy hyzer) is more consistent and allows for a slightly higher degree of correction in the air to still at least hit the chains. Also make sure your expectations are in check. From 25 feet, as a newer player, I'd say 4 out of 10 putts are gonna go in, maybe. Gotta start close up to get everything in order and make sure you got everything down and set before really starting to move out. Mechanics are basically the same, more power generated from legs and snap, higher lines and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5IV-elTXwg

If you slow down that video of Paul's putts, you can see the wrist angle and elbow angle. Along with the push and spin off his fingers, each hinge creates spin on the disc. Elbow straightens, wrist pops, and fingers push. Find what works for you and rock it.

Definitely semantics are an issue here.

I heard these definitions that I think are pretty good: For push putting - if you crouch down some, like bowing, and then throw the putter using the shoulder as a hinge, and your arm goes straight forward towards the basket, that's "push putting".

The reason for some confusion is that there *IS* spin on the disc; you are not throwing Phil Niekro knuckleballs here. The wrist DOES participate in hurling the disc towards the target; the amount of that is up to the individual player. Most disc golfers are push-putters of some kind.

Spin putting is where the arm is usually held up and will come forward at the elbow, and the wrist often (but not necessarily always) will be "snapped" to add energy to the putt. Simon Lizotte has become very good with this putt.

It was either Ulibarri or Feldberg who has this very interesting putting stroke: he brings his arm up and throws an anyhyzer putt to the basket. That's a spin putt, btw. Because I'm so tall, I tried that putting method at baskets, and I still bring my hand up to my chest more on downhill putts, but I found my results inconsistent (maybe if I practiced as much as the pros...)

So what I ended up with was crouching down, and push-putting the disc from my belly. I don't try to hold my wrist rigid, though... I definitely use it to throw the disc at the basket. But I don't use much elbow in my putts; using the shoulder as the hinge brought me a more consistent putting stroke.

Dave Dunipace put out something about a "snake strike", where one thrusts one's arm at the basket like a snake striking at it; this is a good thing to try, and it helped me a lot. I don't do exactly that, but the concept was helpful and I learned from it.

Bottom line: try different things, see what works best, then practice from 20 ft. (give or take). You'll soon know if what you're doing is best FOR YOU, by the sound of disc-striking-chains (or lack thereof). And watch a LOT of videos... what McBeth does is not what Lizotte does is not what Feldberg does, etc. etc. etc. Take the best of everything that works for YOU, and go throw putts until the cows come home....

Last edited:
It was either Ulibarri or Feldberg who has this very interesting putting stroke: he brings his arm up and throws an anyhyzer putt to the basket. That's a spin putt, btw. Because I'm so tall, I tried that putting method at baskets, and I still bring my hand up to my chest more on downhill putts, but I found my results inconsistent (maybe if I practiced as much as the pros...)
It's Ulibarri who putts on an anhyzer. It's one of the ugliest putts I've ever seen, but I guess it works for him. I won't even mention the dreaded "step putt" :eek: eek! I just mentioned it!

See how his putts glide though on longer putts? My like I have to pretty much throw the disc with a huge hyzer for anything beyond like 25 feet... As in I can make it glide straight
Yea, I have the same problem with putting outside of the circle. If I'm about 40' or more my putting motion just doesn't have enough power to get a decent shot at the chains. I've been trying to figure out how to correct this without throwing a huge hyzer putt at the basket. Simon Lizotte can somehow flick his wrist and launch 70' putts dead straight. And of course, Paul McBeth can putt from 300' out ;)

I still don't like jump putting because it feels awkward and messes up my shot. #Discgolfproblems, amirite?

I posted this before but McBeth seems to do an abbreviated hyzerflip for longer putts:

ever notice how McBeth reaches back slowly with the disc on a hyzer angle, then begins the stroke on a hyzer angle and follows through towards the pole (fingers/palm parallel with pole)?

the flight of the putt, especially longer ones, its almost like an abbreviated hyzerflip.

its like a measured hyzerflip toss in. its such a touchy way to putt but damn he's the best in the world at putting and makes it look so easy.

the secret for a push putt is timing the use of your legs/core/butt to gain more distance. so regular inside the circle putts are like a boxing jab (where most of the power starts from the leg and you just guide the disc toward the pole with the arm) anyway.

but on longer putts you add even more leg/abs/butt/lower back/ (core) with more arm/wrist to gain distance. McBeth specifically releases with hyzer and hand oriented towards/vertical with pole which causes a hyzer flip. Thats how he keeps the disc relatively straight in flight (instead of a large hyzer line), just like a hyzer flip throw to lace a tight fairway.

inside the circle and unobstructed it can be argued that there are other putters who are just as good as McBeth putting, but McBeth can hit difficult stances (straddle, on on knee, stretched out on leg tippy toe behind mini, behind large obstruction), and is equally effective in the wind too (because his putt generates a lot of spin anyway). its his ability to hit putts in difficult situations (wind, bad stance, etc) that sets him apart from others.

Agreed, I think all top pro's are really solid in the circle under perfect weather and wide open greens, but add any sort of obstacle or issue to the situation and McBeth has em beat. I watched him throw a practice round before the Nick Hyde a few weeks ago. As he approaches the green, he takes a second and looks for possible outcomes, bad kicks etc and will play from that line. Even if he parks all of his drives, he'll search for a bad lie to play from. It was interesting to watch him for the few holes we were near him.

I'm a big believer in the Mark Ellis approach to practicing. Practice making putts, not missing putts. If you can only reliably hit a ten foot putts, practice ten foot putts until you're able to do so without thinking. Then move to twelve feet, etc....

Latest posts