• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Grip, and Power Questions

PanicKJ

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am in a huge slump putting, this is mostly due to the fact that I change up my grip, and even putters constantly.

I used to putt with a skeeter, it is a mid range however from thirty feet in you aim straight at the basket it will not break at all. Recently I have gone back to an aviar only because the skeeter will roll away from the basket more often than the aviar (I think, my aviar rolled down a hill twice today after a missed putt!)

Really though my question doesn't pertain to discs, just grip, and where do you get your power.

I used to grip with my forefinger on the rim as I could point it at the basket and this usually kept me on course. Now I got to where I could hit anything twenty feet in like that but farther out I could not get the power I needed.

So I read an article from Ken Climo about holding the disc like you would a fork, or a pencil. With the forefinger under the rim and a pinky under the rim. I like this grip, with only two points of contact I don't have the disc coming out off the other two fingers and going astray. However Ken Climo said you do not want alot of wrist snap as the spin can pull the disc out of the chains. I can easily see what he means as I can hit the left side of the basket with little spin and it will still go in. However most of my power was from my wrist.

I try to use my legs to add power, however it seems like all I do is make the disc go higher instead of forward with more power. Anyone got a good way to help me understand how to get my legs into the putt?

Also with these wooded courses most of the time I am on very unlevel ground and have to lean left or right to get a shot. This leaves me with a straddle putt. How can I get more power in the straddle putt? My shoulder is sore because it seems to be doing all the work. Where does the power come from?

Its funny, I just read Ken Climo's website yesterday as well. The most important advise I could give for the grip is to be comfortable. Everyone's grip will vary a bit. I keep my index finger right under the brim, basically resting under the edge and it seems to work for me. Sounds corny, but I also visualize my putt going in and the route it needs to take to get in there. By the time I actually putt, It feels like I've already made one, and the pressure is off

If you want to learn good straddle putting technique, watch some videos of Barry Schultz.

A lot of the power from the straddle putt comes from your legs. By starting out in a squatting position, you want to keep the disc low and centered. As you extend your legs, you should be able to use that momentum and apply it to your putt. I use a bit of wrist in my putts, as that helps with distance... but it can increase spit outs if you hit the wrong side of the chains.

Where can I find some vids of Barry Schultz?

I was just in the basement putting a little. Grabbed a pile of discs. Threw 6 from twenty feet, normal stance, made them all. Then I straddle putted, missed them all. I am fighting to get the disc to the basket and either coming up short, or getting the distance but because I am basically throwing my arm out I am losing control. However I know I can just turn sideways and get the disc there with just a snap of the wrist and no legs.

I got to figure this out as in the woods it seems like I never have a "normal stance".

Hmm not sure if there are any on youtube.. if you do a search for a disc golf tournament, you can probably see him play in the final 9 or something.

Something that may help you is to twist your torso as you come to the top of your putting motion. Extend you putter arm forward while pushing your opposite should backward. This twisting of the torso can help generate some extra distacnce.

I usually do twist and push my putter arm forward, which is why my right shoulder is sore!! I just watched a video with them straddle putting and pulling the put between there legs, I tried that and could generate more power that way, however no accuracy for me at the moment. I will have to work on that.

my putting style is a combo straddle/jump put lol im sure i look retarded at times but it works for me

if your having trouble at that distance where you cant just flick it in and you have start throwing hard try throwing a gently sweeping hook that dies in the basket, once u get it dialed in they seem to be farely consistent when you use a natural throw that you dont have to overthink to much, id probaly use your same putting grip. I just went back to using a putter from using my midrange cro for putting so i was having the same problem with my aviar which id never thrown before. its alot different then just being able to throw staight at it like you can with a midrange, is it worth more missed putts to not have as many blow bys and roll offs or tap ins vs another 15 footer, i wish i knew that answer im trying real hard not to throw that cro. good luck

Latest posts