• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting practice logs with 1025 game.

I'll just recap part of my last longer blog post (http://heavydisc.blogspot.com/2014/04/four-myths-of-disc-golf.html) which has a section about short putts. Inside of 20' I was having at least one doink off the top of the bucket per round, which seemed insane because 1. I was really close to the bucket and 2. I was making them from > 20'-30' very consistently.

Long story short - get up on your toes and lean forward. I was standing flat-footed and up-right which would cause me to release the disc higher than I was when I am further back and rocking forward onto the front leg.

So I've been at 1025 for a while as my previous post mentioned. To the OP - when I first started I was happy every time I broke 500 with most of my scores in the low to mid 400s. Slowly but surely I was hitting more and more putts from 15 and 20 feet until, after about a month was not missing inside of 20. Had a HUGE break at 25 - would make my first 18 shots then only make 3 the rest of the way. The biggest breakthrough for me was (and I'm a push putter) was to think "slow to fast" and "follow through". (my gap is now at 30feet but figure that'll get better sooner than later)

Now I'm regularly throwing 600+ rounds on 1025 and have a personal best of 815. My goal is to not miss more than 1 from 25 and in most days. The long ones - well I suck at 35 feet but pretty much anything outside of 30 feel like they are bonus.

570/625 tonight for me. I really need to move my wife's clothesline, it's right in my way for 30 and 35fters.

Started playing this daily about a week ago. Was shooting in the 300s during super windy and/or rainy days. But now that we've had a few decent days, I'm shooting in the 500's consistently, and definitely learned some good techniques for putting with a slight to moderate wind. I think in a month I should be shooting 600s and hopefully some 700s. Thanks banknwank for starting this thread.:thmbup:

Shot my second best round ever (790) last night. Hit all 6 from 35 feet for the first time. Had two UGLY misses from 20 feet which usually chaps me pretty badly but I recovered nicely. :)

So I've been at 1025 for a while as my previous post mentioned. To the OP - when I first started I was happy every time I broke 500 with most of my scores in the low to mid 400s. Slowly but surely I was hitting more and more putts from 15 and 20 feet until, after about a month was not missing inside of 20. Had a HUGE break at 25 - would make my first 18 shots then only make 3 the rest of the way. The biggest breakthrough for me was (and I'm a push putter) was to think "slow to fast" and "follow through". (my gap is now at 30feet but figure that'll get better sooner than later)

Now I'm regularly throwing 600+ rounds on 1025 and have a personal best of 815. My goal is to not miss more than 1 from 25 and in most days. The long ones - well I suck at 35 feet but pretty much anything outside of 30 feel like they are bonus.
The 500 mark has proven to be a decent round at this point for me also.......must have been a fluke first time around. It's all been a learning experience. even though my 1025 scores haven't improved greatly I am making a few more putts on the course and hitting metal more often on the longer putts. Had a 15 foot , up hiller, last weekend and it was an exact replica of my 15 ft uphill on my practice basket. Wasn't half as nervous , actually had a vivid visualization of practice basket at home before hammering the putt for my bird. :clap: still only matching my courses best at the end of the day, and missed another short putt:gross:. But, as we were leaving the course , my brother in law commented on my score. Even though I had missed my one short putt and had an ob, I still posted a +2.......
Still struggle with 15 footers for some reason? Another poster mentioned getting on your toes...... I know it's just a lack of committing to the putt. It's still close enough that I don't put the effort or focus into the putt. If I treat it as a 20-25 footer and focus on a solid snap and weight transfer, it's harder to miss. I still miss at least one from this range almost every time and give up some easy points. The putting practice also gives my knees a break from rounds and has helped my driving by giving my , prematurely old, body some recovery time. Yes, my body needs a day or two off from frisbee to recover........:thmbdown:

Last edited:
Shot my second best round ever (790) last night. Hit all 6 from 35 feet for the first time. Had two UGLY misses from 20 feet which usually chaps me pretty badly but I recovered nicely. :)

Nice score. That's how this putting practice mimics the game IMO . You can't give up after one or two misses. Sometimes you have to grind, And when you recover, it feels good. My best round in low 500 last night had two misses at 15, then hit all my 20 footers and made more than usual 25........ I don't count on too many from 30 and 35 is just a bonus at this point.
I would like to get to the point of hitting 25 footers at a high percentage. We will see. Still haven't committed a ton of time to it, but Ido make an effort to throw some putts throughout the week. The neighbor kids even asked if they could try. So we played pig and horse that day. The wife and kids will putt around with me sometimes also.

Started playing this daily about a week ago. Was shooting in the 300s during super windy and/or rainy days. But now that we've had a few decent days, I'm shooting in the 500's consistently, and definitely learned some good techniques for putting with a slight to moderate wind. I think in a month I should be shooting 600s and hopefully some 700s. Thanks banknwank for starting this thread.:thmbup:

Nice improvement! :clap: That amount of improvement should be noticeable on the score card.

570/625 tonight for me. I really need to move my wife's clothesline, it's right in my way for 30 and 35fters.

I start to run out of room at the 35 ft mark also. Adds to the difficulty of a long putt when starting to feel cramped by the shed, privacy fence, tree or clothes line......

Thanks for posting the app! I am definitely going to start doing this. It will help me focus on each putt. I putt straight on and there have been times during rounds that I had to straddle putt from behind a tree and missed short putts because it was a motion I hadn't rehearsed. I would play this doing the opposite your normal putting style for the awkward lies during the round.

Another thing that I work on is switching between an inline putt and a straddle. For each spot for 10-20 feet I'll throw from different positions - inline, straddle, one knee, etc. This helps break up the monotony for me and allows for some level of uncomfort through the practice routine to mimic tough pressure spots on the course. I also always readress my stance each throw.

It comes, this practice really helps. Try and move the basket around your yard from time to time. It's actually easy to start to know a shot too well - like you know the 25 footer needs to be higher than your clothesline to hit chains - suddenly you have an advantage you don't on the course.

Another thing I have started to do is really work my "gap" shots. I'm usually really solid inside 20, some days inside 25. I almost always throw an addition 30-40 shots from random spots between 20 and 30 feet each practice session. For my game, if I'm hitting these putts on the course it can mean the difference in an 820 rated round vs a 900 rated round.

Haven't tested myself on 1025 lately. We had 30+ mph winds all last week......but, my putting on the course is improving. I am starting to make more putts in general. I still miss putts I shouldn't but I am making putts I used to not make also.. I have also noticed my practice basket is a touch too tall compared to average basket on the course so will be adjusting that.

got one of those park n sun baskets from costco for my birthday and a matching set of new favorite putter........ I am making alot more putts with new summits. after i add some inner chains to the basket i will see how i test this week end. weather is supposed to be ugly this week end so i may have to set up int the garage with only one angle at the basket. No wind with only one look might not be the best way to test but its still practice.

Played the GBO last weekend, wanted to just give some love to what 1025 has done for my game. My last round at Jones East my approach shots were not working but I saved par from 20, 22, 25, 25, 35 and 40 feet. 6 shots including two outside the circle that I canned. Salvaged an 899 rated round (59 points above my lousy rating) and won my card. Had a card mate mention that it didn't matter that he out drove me by 50-60 feet every hole since I kept canning putts. Keep it up people!

I had a putting breakdown last tournament. I played great on saturday, but on sunday I just could not get it over the edge, every putt was low. So now I am putting in some more time with my putters. I played 2 rounds of 1025 last night in dim lights. I scored 485 and 545. I am dead on up to 20 feet, over that I often hit metall (ching basket) but it rarely stays in. Next time I will try it when the sun is up.

Played the GBO last weekend, wanted to just give some love to what 1025 has done for my game. My last round at Jones East my approach shots were not working but I saved par from 20, 22, 25, 25, 35 and 40 feet. 6 shots including two outside the circle that I canned. Salvaged an 899 rated round (59 points above my lousy rating) and won my card. Had a card mate mention that it didn't matter that he out drove me by 50-60 feet every hole since I kept canning putts. Keep it up people!
Nice example of what putting can do for your game. Par will be more attainable and you will see some 900+ rated rounds! even only throwing medium distance. I posted a round well into the 900s with my -2 at home course and I still have a ton of room in my putting game for improvement.

I noticed improvements on the course right away. I was hitting longer putts here and there that wouldn't normally make. But still missing shorter putts around the 20 ft mark and not seeing score improve, or by very little. Two weeks ago we had high wind all week, and last week was my birthday week and just played rounds. Really haven't put in any putter practice in about two weeks, but threw a few rounds just under the five hundred mark. ( if you 100 % out to 25 ft, your score will be 530). I still fall appt at 20 for some reason, and those are the putts that cost you on the course .but I make a few longer ones to hang around score of 500. Have a new basket and made my ropes with distance markers. I have carabiners that I hook to the basket and stake the other end. Sets up fast and distances are more accurate. I have to Finnish adding some chains to my costco basket and I'm set for putter. I have also started a new warm up for my 1025 game. I simply play 100%. I will putt 6 from same distances and move back in same increments till I miss one. Then start over till I am at least 100% through 20 ft. Gives me more practice in my trouble zones. And I need to be 100% in those distances to score well in 1025 or on the course. Still not too worried about 30-35 yet, but take what I can get in practice and on the course.
I got to catch up with group I played with last year in my infancy, made 6 bird putts on the front nine and several long par saves. When I finally missed a putt around hole nine, they all were relieved to get someone else on the tee box honors. I won the day and went low as -13 before finishing the round at-11. It was a pitch and putt on front 9 with 250 being the longest, back nine opens up to intermediate distances.

Last edited:
So I downloaded this app and tried it out about a week ago, posted a 190 and 260 with a craptacular makeshift basket with a love to spit out discs. Finally purchased a portable discatcher from Academy and wow what a difference it made! Posted a 590 and I haven't even changed up my putting! I made the first 14 putts in a row and started breaking down afterwards at 20-25ft.

Can't wait to try it again tomorrow! Great app!

Longer days and mild spring weather has me playing more rounds than practicing , but still practice my 1025 every now and then. The costco basket, with added chains, is similar to course baskets. Seeing rounds in the high 400 to mid 500 regularly now. My high score hasn't improved too much, but my average has . Most importantly, I am more confident in my 15-20 ranges now. Even made a few 60 footers in last few rounds. I can throw little ,nose up, anny flex putts from 40-60ish ft and give them a chance with out being too worried about the come back putt. Making more putts on the course and keeping scores closer to par on an average day. will see a big jump in high scores soon , just haven't paired a good short distance round with a good long putt round yet. :doh:

Longer days and mild spring weather has me playing more rounds than practicing , but still practice my 1025 every now and then. The costco basket, with added chains, is similar to course baskets. Seeing rounds in the high 400 to mid 500 regularly now. My high score hasn't improved too much, but my average has . Most importantly, I am more confident in my 15-20 ranges now. Even made a few 60 footers in last few rounds. I can throw little ,nose up, anny flex putts from 40-60ish ft and give them a chance with out being too worried about the come back putt. Making more putts on the course and keeping scores closer to par on an average day. will see a big jump in high scores soon , just haven't paired a good short distance round with a good long putt round yet. :doh:

I try to get in a game daily and have been tracking my results. I am posting similar rounds to yours and I have to say the biggest improvement on the course for me is that I am now not afraid to run longer putts for fear of missing the comeback putt. Granted I do try em on floaty lines to make the come back short - but just giving those a shot is big improvement. Besides...if you do hit a 30' shot it sure makes that next 20' you step up to look a whole lot easier.

And the other bonus...I occasionally hit a long one now that I'm running them. Today I *just* missed an 80' shot (made the comeback) and sank a 60' shot (my first ever 2 on that hole)....felt awesome.