• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Practice that Works

Dealing with a shoulder issue (getting better, but still not 100%), I've been struggling with routine.

I had worked quite a bit in developing a routine and then following it in the course.

I've started working on it, but definitely not where I'd like to be.

Doing some rapid fire to try and build muscle memory.

Help with putting…. Glitch???

I posted previously on tips that helped me a ton…. Just following up…. I found lighter putters fade way too much, so I prefer a heavier putter. So far settled on Judge and Deputy as my putters of choice (throw and feel almost identical). I got 5-6 of them, including several $5 used ones, which I am always on the lookout for, so now with my back yard basket, I can practice the most with the putters I use on game day. I mix in some other putters from time to time, just to make sure I still do the best with the ones I am using. I mix it up to keep from getting bored - sometimes rapid fire to get better at making them from one distance, other times competing with my son at various games (I like the HORSE suggestion - definitely one we need to do!). Been hoping to find a used Glitch - hate the $20 new disc price. Does anyone that has a Glitch have good or bad to say about it? In Play It Again Sports, my son and I played catch, and although light, it seemed to glide effortlessly and straight, but very short distance. Wondering if it is good to putt with, or approach, or because it seems so light, is it harder to use (so far I definitely find heavier discs easier to make putts with, as well as easier to leave close when I miss). Thanks for any input.

"shoulder issue"…. I recently had some shoulder soreness after changing my driving form, and practicing too much, trying to throw too hard, for 2-3 days in a row. Decided it was a great time to take a couple days off from the course and field work, and just hit the back yard and focus on my putting! Also studied putting tips first. Paid off with almost immediate improvement, and saved strokes when I returned to the course. I suspect (so far, based on some evidence) it will take a lot longer and a lot more work to save the same amount of strokes working on my drives! Also, shoulder - heating pad and Ibuprofen got me feeling better in just 2-3 days. Good luck - hope that helps!

After reading what people were saying I started to try something new. I pretty much would do 10 shots in 3 different groups and mostly went 75-125 feet away from the basket and then the final shot of each of them Id send full title so if I didn't make it it would be 25+ feet from the basket. Then I'd just do clean up putting. It left a lot of different shots and while I had a lot of 5-10 foot putts it made everything more realistic on what I'd be doing on the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBzsuyiY0lM

I need to re-do this video, cause it's not great.

But the drills are still viable to learn from it.

If you wanna putt better, then.. follow my drills here.

Of anything I can add to DG as a whole, this is it. And it works.

Boom! I liked this and think maybe I'll give this a try. I subbed you up on there and excited to dig into some more videos!

Boom! I liked this and think maybe I'll give this a try. I subbed you up on there and excited to dig into some more videos!

People don't necessarily like some of my idea's with this, but whatever. I know it works. I've used it to teach many people. People are so attached to what they see vs what they can do. Gotta let go and let your body do its thing and stop trying to control it so much.

But you'll learn to putt well faster with my method vs standing in one place throwing 100's of frisbees. And you'll always know where your "good to go" range is for the day when you warm up with it.

I need to make a better version of it explaining everything, the problem is it turns out 20 minutes long every time i film it.

People don't necessarily like some of my idea's with this, but whatever. I know it works. I've used it to teach many people. People are so attached to what they see vs what they can do. Gotta let go and let your body do its thing and stop trying to control it so much.

But you'll learn to putt well faster with my method vs standing in one place throwing 100's of frisbees. And you'll always know where your "good to go" range is for the day when you warm up with it.

I need to make a better version of it explaining everything, the problem is it turns out 20 minutes long every time i film it.

As I work remote my goal is to get up every hour to walk around a bit. While doing this I also include about 20 putts in this style. It seems to help with confidence but I am not sure how it will translate back to playing, but will see. I am getting closer to moving back from where I normally am comfortable, but every few times i will have one "Bad" Round.

I see some debate over rapid fire. I can say for me, as a newbie, rapid fire for sure helps me. Helps find the smooth motion that works best for me, builds confidence, and builds muscle memory on how to make them. Getting a rhythm for making my putts, rather than throwing single misses, helps me improve. As my putting gets warmed up, I can do more single putts, etc. Also, as my game evolves, as I become a good putter, maybe rapid fire will be less helpful - I can't say from here what will happen there - lol.

I watched Sheep's video. 20 minutes - I was like, ugh, too long…. Well, glad I watched. He is a very good putter! I had wondered since I got my MVP Black Hole Pro about setting up distance markers in my back yard. Watched his video yesterday, got motivated, and today set up semi permanent markers (half buried golf balls) at where I set the basket, and every 5 feet up to 50 feet. I put my basket away in between uses, to avoid rain damage and/or theft, but takes 1 minute to carry it out, plop it on a golf ball marker, and I have distance markers! Looking forward to many games, especially with my son, but by myself, one type of practice for sure will be learning my make %s at the various distances, work on improving %, as well as get making from further out. I expect improvement for sure! I am sure I will post some %s in time - I like seeing others post %s - gives me an idea how my putting is "stacking up". Also, today only, Amazon Prime members, my nephew says MVP Black Hole Pro is on Prime Day sale for $119! I considered mine a great buy at $150. Wish I was ready to get more and have a mini course - I just don't have any space to do so at this time. Best wishes all!

Percentage makes at various distances…

So, no wait. First session. Notes: My son has a few of my putters. I had ten putters available and used them all - only 4 are my normal use ones (3 Judges/1 Warden). Did rapid fire. Up to 30 feet, I held putters in my left hand and putted with my right - how I usually do rapid fire. From 35 feet on, I sat them down and used both hands - same putting style, but I think I get more power more easily with second hand free. Also, at 35 feet I noticed I had to aim a little right to account for fade, or purposely add more wrist flick spin to the disc, or best seems to maybe be a combination of both. Results:
10' - 10 of 10 (I will miss sometimes, but should not be often).
15' - 7 of 10 (I think 2 misses were at start, then found my rhythm and made 7 of 8).
20' - 4 of 10
25' - 4 of 10 (happy with that).
30' - 1 of 10 (not happy).
35' - 1 of 10
40' - 1 of 10
45' - 1 of 10 (threw all in one session, starting closest and working to longest; noticed at 45-50'
50' - 1 of 10 I was tiring some, and many putts were coming up short).
At some future point, I will post results again, hopefully showing improvement!

So, no wait. First session. Notes: My son has a few of my putters. I had ten putters available and used them all - only 4 are my normal use ones (3 Judges/1 Warden). Did rapid fire. Up to 30 feet, I held putters in my left hand and putted with my right - how I usually do rapid fire. From 35 feet on, I sat them down and used both hands - same putting style, but I think I get more power more easily with second hand free. Also, at 35 feet I noticed I had to aim a little right to account for fade, or purposely add more wrist flick spin to the disc, or best seems to maybe be a combination of both. Results:
10' - 10 of 10 (I will miss sometimes, but should not be often).
15' - 7 of 10 (I think 2 misses were at start, then found my rhythm and made 7 of 8).
20' - 4 of 10
25' - 4 of 10 (happy with that).
30' - 1 of 10 (not happy).
35' - 1 of 10
40' - 1 of 10
45' - 1 of 10 (threw all in one session, starting closest and working to longest; noticed at 45-50'
At some future point, I will post results again, hopefully showing improvement!

Nice man. There are many different ways to progress with putting and I'm still not where I'd like to be (we never are, with any aspect of our game I guess).

Just keep it up. Your numbers are not too surprising to me here. One of the biggest things that I learned is that putting from 20ish feet and in requires almost nothing specific. You can do it any which way and it works if you can repeat it. Putting from 30+ though is where you need to have a full commit actual swing. This skill never developed for me by banging short putts over and over, though doing that did boost my ego and made me pretend that I was progressing.

It was only when I truly recognized that I absolutely suck at the 30' range, and did a TON of those, that things changed. Keeping oneself uncomfortable in practice is the perennial wisdom that I think truly applies to putting in disc golf.

I will use my main take away from Sheep's video - putt 1 disc from 5 feet, if you make it move back 5 feet, if you miss it move up 5 feet (in my words, his point was go back to a putt you made/make, kind of rebuild confidence). Once you determine your first distance that is not mostly makes, you can focus on it some if you want. Anyways, with my 5 feet markers set, now I can mix this game into my various methods of practicing, as well as check my make percentages at various distances any time I want, plus have an easy distance gauge to start learning and getting used to "what distance am I from the basket?" - and all right here in my back yard. All good! Thank you, Sheep, for the tips, and for motivating me!

If either of you is interested, here is a 4-week putting cycle that I developed for the Rocket Disc Golf Club here at U of Toledo...
Column Q has descriptions of the less straightforward setups.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=111564697499148183935&rtpof=true&sd=true

There's also a link in the document to an article at the Dynamic Discs Blog that can support you in understanding what type of routines are best for the mental and physical parts of your approach to putting.

I've made it through 4 days. I didn't miss a single easy putt on the course today - that's never happened. (might not happen again, who knows?)

One thing isn't clear, the C1 and C2 rotations. Is the intent to throw 50 putts or make 50 putts? I could read the instructions either way. Making 50 putts before it gets dark, for me ...................well,

I've made it through 4 days. I didn't miss a single easy putt on the course today - that's never happened. (might not happen again, who knows?)

One thing isn't clear, the C1 and C2 rotations. Is the intent to throw 50 putts or make 50 putts? I could read the instructions either way. Making 50 putts before it gets dark, for me ...................well,
The rotations you go until you hit 50. I can definitely appreciate that you might want to cut that down from C2 especially. There were times when that took me a while. Part of the goal of those sessions is to keep your mind off of percentages.

I get what you are saying, but still, this was progress for me. Starting out, I was even missing 8-10 foot putts. Probably not making much at all from 20 feet. Later tonight I redid partial, and was already improving more.
10' - 10/10
15' - 8/10
20' - 6/10
25' - 6/10
I skipped to 50' - 1/10.
I try to use mostly same technique every throw - I do almost same stance as driving, sideways and feet staggered. I figure initially it will make closer throws lower % versus push putts, but over time using same technique for short and long putts will hopefully help me with consistency. I will over time of course work more and more on the longer putts - 30-50 feet. But, for now it feels like faster progress will come from improving 20' and 25'. Also, will keep collecting Judges and/or Wardens - try to get up to 10. I think it will help progress to be practicing with all same discs. Now using a mix that includes lighter ones that I don't like as well. Also, going for chains, when I miss, my Judges and Warden average landing closer to the basket - the lighter discs will occasionally glide a lot, leaving a tougher comeback putt. Works in my favor that I use Warden and a Judge on game days.

Putting tips for beginners…

Tips I found, mostly on here, that improved my beginning putting fast, mainly in order of estimated importance:
1 - find a stance, grip, and putter that feel good. In my group, we mostly agree we like heavier putters better when going for chains.
2 - don't aim at the chains - aim at one particular link of chain (for me that was huge).
3 - going for the chains, throw as straight as possible (the curving shot is MUCH harder to make). As you get further out, more snap, and more wrist flick (spin) helps keep throw straighter versus fading left.
4 - try to keep a level throw, from the height needed (usually about chest high) - avoid throwing up or down as much as possible.
5 - When you find "your" technique, try to be consistent. Let muscle memory make your made putts repeatable.

Not last, but probably obvious - practice, practice, practice. Can find tons of putting games to play by yourself or with others on here and elsewhere to keep it from getting boring. I got a basket for home - almost a must for those who can afford it and want to really improve putting fast. Mine is a MVP Black Hole Pro - was $150 on Amazon, and I love it. Feels almost same to me as baskets/chains at the 3 courses I have played. Knowing what I know, if I didn't have it, I would buy it again tomorrow. I am sharing - I get absolutely zero benefit from anybody buying this or any other basket on Amazon or anywhere else - lol. Good luck!

It seems to help with confidence but I am not sure how it will translate back to playing, but will see. I am getting closer to moving back from where I normally am comfortable, but every few times i will have one "Bad" Round.

It's to build it into a "natural no effort no thought" motion. Which is why you do it with your eyes closed as well.
So you dont think about it, you just do it.

This is 20 feet, step up, throw 20 foot putt, dont think about it. You already know it inside. You did it with your eyes closed.

I see some debate over rapid fire. I can say for me, as a newbie, rapid fire for sure helps me. Helps find the smooth motion that works best for me, builds confidence, and builds muscle memory on how to make them. Getting a rhythm for making my putts, rather than throwing single misses, helps me improve. As my putting gets warmed up, I can do more single putts, etc. Also, as my game evolves, as I become a good putter, maybe rapid fire will be less helpful - I can't say from here what will happen there - lol.

The only time I encourage rapid fire is to either warm up your arm, or to find your stroke.
The problem with rapid fire is people trying to constantly make arm corrections while standing in one place, which makes your putt bad and inconsistant.
Your stroke with your arm and body should always be identical, you should aim with your feet/stance. If you make corrections with your arm rapid firing putts like most people do, you'll have to practice way way way more than necessary tiring yoruself out.

I watched Sheep's video. 20 minutes - I was like, ugh, too long…. Well, glad I watched. He is a very good putter! I had wondered since I got my MVP Black Hole Pro about setting up distance markers in my back yard. Watched his video yesterday, got motivated, and today set up semi permanent markers (half buried golf balls) at where I set the basket, and every 5 feet up to 50 feet.

Well, its 10 minutes, and the last 10 minutes is me putting. People will watch a 25 minute Robby C video where he spends 90% of the time telling stories about nothing then giving you information that he didn't even come up with, but he got from Mike. hahaha. I digress.
The biggest problem with this topic is it's important to talk about all the important things about why and how and what it does. And people just want magic pills and magic drills.
This is both. It helps to understand the why, so the how connects with the drill.
Thank you.
And, the baskets hold up really well, both of mine have been outside for 3 years straight. I think my wife is currently using one of them to hold plants?

Never ever ever ever putt while fatigued or tired ever ever ever.

This is one of the biggest issues I see with people practicing. They want to practice, then they start practicing tired and the 20 minutes they just spent practice putting is ruined by 2 minutes of putting while tired.

I will use my main take away from Sheep's video - putt 1 disc from 5 feet, if you make it move back 5 feet, if you miss it move up 5 feet (in my words, his point was go back to a putt you made/make, kind of rebuild confidence). Once you determine your first distance that is not mostly makes, you can focus on it some if you want. Anyways, with my 5 feet markers set, now I can mix this game into my various methods of practicing, as well as check my make percentages at various distances any time I want, plus have an easy distance gauge to start learning and getting used to "what distance am I from the basket?" - and all right here in my back yard. All good! Thank you, Sheep, for the tips, and for motivating me!

Welcome!
I don't usually suggest focusing on that "one distance." What I usually suggest is when you start teetering back and forth in the one spot, lets say 20-25 feet.
Take a break. Come back 10 mins later and do it again. Then build the drill out and see where you're at again. The best part is, it just lets you know where you suck at that current point in time. Some days it might be 20 feet, some days it might be 50.

1 - find a stance, grip, and putter that feel good. In my group, we mostly agree we like heavier putters better when going for chains.
2 - don't aim at the chains - aim at one particular link of chain (for me that was huge).

One of the things people wont agree with me on is putters.
Most people find a putter and try and force it into their putting. Vs finding a repeatable stroke and finding a putter that will help them putt better with that stroke.

People are way to overly concerned with handfeel or plastic or whatever other bs.
Match a putter to what you can most consistently do that also feels good and throw the plastic you like, not what you're told. (I dont' putt with baseline plastic, its garbage)

Also, the whole "aim for the link" thing. I personally strongly disagree with this. The main reason most people miss putts is because they aim for the basket, not through the basket.
So they short putts all the time.

you got a huge target to throw to, if you're not throwing a hyzer chop putt, your miss radius if you're pushing through the basket is absolutely massive.

3 - going for the chains, throw as straight as possible (the curving shot is MUCH harder to make). As you get further out, more snap, and more wrist flick (spin) helps keep throw straighter versus fading left.

My only nitpick with advice like this is, but like especially to someone learning/struggling to putt what does "more wrist flick (spin)" actually mean? What does it mean to "use your wrist more"? Because if someone doesnt use their wrist in their putt, this advice doesn't make any sense. Or, if they should be using their wrist but dont know how to then also it doesnt help. Its like saying "on backhand, be sure to activate your legs", this could be interpreted a number of ways both correctly or incorrectly. I am not picking on YOU, I am picking on larger trend in putting which is ...

My kind of bigger point with this is actually I think the way we teach putting is awful. People who struggle with putting have mechanical issues. Putting power, problems with aim, etc. all mechanical problems. We have hours and hours of footage comparing forehand and backhand forms, drills, side by side analysis, biomechanics analysis etc. But virtually nobody does this for putting except maybe Mike Strauss. We just say "shake hands with the basket" and "pick a link" and move on. Can you imagine someone having trouble with their forehand on the forum review channel, and you go "Just be sure to use your wrist and aim small, miss small!"

I would love to be the change I want to see in the disc golf world but unfortunately I am a mediocre putter myself, which is why I have this perspective being in the trenches myself. Everyone who makes putting videos, or if you ask a pro for putting advice, all of them have already figured putting out and have a lot of feel vs real so they do offer a lot of well intentioned and sometimes correct advice but it's the equivalent of saying "pull through in a straight line" on backhand. I'm sure it feels that way to them but we know it's not what's actually happening.

For my part, I have been slow-mo videoing all my putts when I practice. I think with putting especially there is A LOT of "feel vs real" and the video helps cut through that. I can't offer detailed form review like SW22 but at least comparing it to various pros helps you see what's going on.

I've mentioned what I normally do elsewhere in other putting practice threads. I'm happy to share my recipe here too as a player whose strength is on the green. I agree with much of what I've seen in this thread and I also have a few different angles for you too. A lot depends on how good your stroke currently is.

I advocate for practicing two essential ideas in your basement, good "nuts and bolts" muscle memory AND handling the mental pressure. Indeed, get those reps, but also keep religious score of your progress. This might not work for everybody but it absolutely does for me. I get 100 muscle memory reps every day in the winter in my basement AND 100 mental pressure reps by making every one of them "count." I find that if I'm not keeping track of my make/miss percentages, I'm not focusing enough and it's just screw around time. I find the self competition to be fun, invigorating, and challenging. Maybe it's partially because I'm a little spectrum-y when it comes to record keeping, but I thrive on it. Sometimes I get a little pissed off when it doesn't go well for the day, but I'll also be elated when I pound 10 consecutive 30-footers too because it means something. By all means, screw around with trick shots and putts all over the place too, but I preach that you should hammer down 100 putts every day that "count" with no exceptions.

DO putt when you're tired...if you already have a good putting stroke. You are absolutely going to have to drain putts in real situations when you are tired or otherwise not in a perfect mental state of mind. You will need practice battling yourself. I find myself battling in those basement winter sessions almost every time. Work through it. Don't make yourself a stranger to triumphing over this during real rounds. Work through this in the basement.

I'm not a rapid fire guy. If that works to help you achieve a proper putting stroke, good for you, but my thought is I'm never once going to be rapid firing putters in a real situation. I want more practice exactly like it is when it matters. YMMV.

I'm a spin putter with slow velocity on it. Push putting doesn't compute for me, so I had to slow down that velocity with putters that glide and don't dump left much, that way I'm not left with 30-foot comebackers on airballs. I use XT Aviars for my regular stagger stance and Prime Deputies for the straddle stance, and I practice them both equally in those basement sessions, 50 of one and 50 of the other, from 30 feet. I never do more than 20 consecutively of either type, alternating 10 of one type, ten of the other, switch those two around and repeat, so that it's varied enough to keep me honest. (Example, I'll start with 10 straddles, then do 10 staggers, 10 staggers then 10 straddles, 10 straddles then 10 staggers, etc., writing down how many I make in my notebook, "85767 = 33 straddles, 65896 = 34 staggers...total score for the day = 67/100")

I don't aim for a chain link. I pretend I am giving a backhand slap to the band of the basket with the top of my hand (think Matty-O's release). Gravity brings it down instead of it hitting the band if it's right. I adjust for wind when I'm outside and I also adjust for proximity, aiming that backhand slap at the top of the chains instead of the band if I'm closer. In extreme headwinds I'm actually aiming at the top of the cage. Low or left misses (RHBH) mean it's a weak putt that never had a chance; those are the worst. Get that hand in the air on your follow through and every putt has a chance.

It takes thousands and thousands of reps to make noticeable progress. There is no shortcut. You will have to get good at not being too down on yourself with a bunch of bad results from time to time. Try to get 10,000 score-kept putts every winter and I promise those real world putts the following spring and summer will be much less daunting.

I was a tiny fraction off of 65% from 30 feet all winter long this year and tried like hell to get to 66.6% so I could say "I make 2/3 of my circle's edge putts." I actually was above 66% for the last half of the winter. The first couple months were down in the lower 60's.

In 6 of my 14 sanctioned rounds so far this year I was perfect in the circle. Lots of the rounds where I wasn't perfect involved wet weather or extreme elevation and runaway potential all over the putting green (hello, Johnson Park in Grand Rapids) where a confident putting stroke was too risky and I had to put more loft on them than I like and missed a few.

I also took down the 2022 Kalamazoo putting league over a friend of mine who had previously won the state putting championship, is 20 years younger than me, and he beat Andrew Marwede for that title. In my mind, each of the 100 winter basement putts are treated the same when they actually do matter, and going down the stretch for the putting league title I just kept pumping them in while everybody in the room knew what was on the line and my opponent wound up missing a few too many at the very end. I was battling like mad just like I did in the basement and it worked.
In a tournament at Brewer Park this year I was trailing two of the best amateur old guys in the state all day, but I kept pumping in putts from 25' in the wind and eventually they'd miss one or two and I wound up getting my state berth because of it. I was clueless to any pressure in both of those real events. Anytime I'm tying Jay Allaire in a real round, that's a good afternoon.

Get good at 180' on in and you will see your scores plummet. Earn your way to making 90% of 20-footers and you're money in the short game as an amateur. It's only pros who have to do that AND drive exceptionally well to make their way in their division. Most of us can score well for our amateur divisions with a good game 180' on in and a passable tee game. Go get 'em!

Latest posts