• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Practice

Day Four

Spent most of my time working at 8 steps.

Day One- 18 at 6 Steps, and 7 at 7 steps.
Day Two- 50 at 6 Steps, 14 at 7 steps, and 7 at 8 steps
Day Three- 21 at 7 steps, and 6 at 8 steps
Day Four- 10 at 7 steps,and 11 at 8 steps

Hit 7 in a row 5 different times at 8 steps, finally nailed 11 in a row as it was getting dark. Had a lot of distractions today, didn't get as much time as I would like, but I am continuing to work on it even if practice conditions are less than ideal. If I get enough time tomorrow, I will step out to 9 or 10.

Also ordered 5 more wizards, so I won't be left without at least 2 identical putters again.

I am starting to see a big difference. Had some weird spitouts today, but I am hitting metal more and more. I am also figuring out where I went wrong each time and am able to adjust it.

Day Five- 29 at 7 steps, 9 at 8 steps, 4 at 9 steps, and 4 at 10 steps

Feeling more and more confident. I will be focusing more on the 8-10 range for the next few days.
I can't believe I have gone from 7 in a row to 29 in a row in one week.

Today was a good day, figured I spent almost 2 1/2 hours working on putting. I have a tournament coming up in 10 days, looking forward to seeing the results of all my work.

Good to hear you are getting better.

One thing that has helped me is to practice everyday and find a form you are most comfortable with.For years I kept changing my putting styles,but the past few years I've been using Avery Jenkins stance(minus being on the toes part)and it has been very successful.

Learning different styles or changing it,in my case,isn't a bad thing.Looking back at it now,changing my style so much actually helped me,in case I find myself in a jam.

Also don't forget that Straddle Putt,one of the most overlooked styles of putting in my opinion.I'll putt just as much straddle putts in my practice sessions as I do my normal stance.30% or more of your round will consist of straddle putts(well maybe 20%).So add this putting style to your arsenal and you'll have an overall better putting game.

P.S. if your not all familiar with the Straddle Putt or are just not comfortable with it,I would probably wait until after the Tournament before you start to practice this shot more.It may or may not throw your feel off for your normal stance.

Good point. I will add some straddle putts to my practice.

Nice. :thmbup:

Here's just a short story,sorry.

My friends that I play with on sundays are always having trouble straddle putting,because they never really think to practice it.Everytime they have to putt this way they say "man I hate straddle putting".When I Straddle putt and nail it they say,"There's cheatin' Matt again".Joking of course.

Once you get some good practice in and get used to Straddle putting,these words(I hate Straddle putting) will never enter your mind. :D

Practiced some straddle putts today, they felt fairly comfortable actually. Spent most of the day working at 9 steps. I feel like I have the same mental block there as I did at 8.

Day Five- 29 at 7 steps, 9 at 8 steps, 4 at 9 steps, and 4 at 10 steps
Day Six- 5 at 9 steps

Even though I didn't get much higher than yesterday, my confidence is way up compared to previously. I played doubles today, and actually hit 2 different 40' putts, and came very close on a 3rd. I will start recording my straddle putts at 6 steps, and work my way out.

7 steps and in feel like a gimme now, and I would like to extend that from 7 out to 10 at least. I feel like the improvement in just a couple of weeks is amazing.

Just to add to this, i've been doing the mark ellis thing for like...3 days...all i can say is wow...already just shredding strokes on the course...cant wait to see that its like on day 30...

Did you drop the shorter putts from your practice or are you just not listing them here?

No still doing them. Decided to start tracking my putts as a percentage. Doing 50 putts in a row at each distance after I warm up. Warming up is working around the basket hitting 2 in a row at different spots until I feel like I am warm.(maybe 20-30)

7 Steps 38/50 and 36/50 Total 74%

10 Steps 18/50 and 15/50 Total 33%

At this point I asked Andy to help me out to see what I was doing wrong. After fixing a couple of things I did 50 More Putts

10 Steps 32/50 Total 64%

What was I doing wrong? He said I was leaning back. Will be focusing on my posture tomorrow and see what that does for every distance. I was thrilled to nearly double my longer putts, as that's where I have been struggling the most.

A buddy & I started to play this game while putting. mark off in 5ft. intervals, starting at 10ft. & going ot to 30-40(whatever you want). start at 10 ft. 10 putts, you make them all, move back 5ft and continue on back. You can"t move back until you hit all 10, miss 1 and yer stuck there. alternate turns, 1st one to the end point wins. 10 ft. might seem short to start, but it helps get the confidence goin just smackin em in from there:D

I like that you are using steps, obviously you are able to convert it to approximate feet in your head, but that isn't whats important. Being able to convert your practice into application on the course is important, and its much easier when you are able to relate it using your steps method.

Are you guaging where you aim at the basket by how many steps out you are?

Example:

5 steps- Straight at the pole half way up.
6 steps- Straight at the pole on the stripe
7 steps- One chain to the right on the stripe
8 steps- Two chains over to the right 3/4 of the way up

Not recommending here, just wondering what thought process you go through as you step further out?

Honestly,my putting practice was going great. Then I played a tournament and my confidence was shot. Some of the worst putting of my life. I am thinking of going back to the rhyno. It's a little unusual, but it's what works for me.

Took the wizards out of the bag yesterday and my putting was looking much better. It seems that I rely on the slow flight of the rhyno. I like that I can be pretty agressive with it and it's never too far off. So I will be resuming putting practice with the rhyno and report back on it.

Honestly,my putting practice was going great. Then I played a tournament and my confidence was shot. Some of the worst putting of my life. I am thinking of going back to the rhyno. It's a little unusual, but it's what works for me.

Took the wizards out of the bag yesterday and my putting was looking much better. It seems that I rely on the slow flight of the rhyno. I like that I can be pretty agressive with it and it's never too far off. So I will be resuming putting practice with the rhyno and report back on it.

I had this same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago.

I was trying out the new Yeti Pro Aviars.I was doing great on my practice rounds and during a doubles tournament I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I believe what happened was where I was practicing so much with them,I ended up beating them in way too much.

I went back to my old KC Pro Aviars last week and was banging the chains all over again.

You mentioned Wizards.I use to putt with Wizards when they first came out.Beat them in quite a bit and couldn't putt with them anymore because of how they would drop.I got bored the other day and decided to putt at the basket in the back yard with the wizards again.I was killing it with the Wizards.Now I'm debating on whether or not to get some newer Wizards.I've got way to many discs as it is :doh:

I had this same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago.

I was trying out the new Yeti Pro Aviars.I was doing great on my practice rounds and during a doubles tournament I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I believe what happened was where I was practicing so much with them,I ended up beating them in way too much.

I went back to my old KC Pro Aviars last week and was banging the chains all over again.

You mentioned Wizards.I use to putt with Wizards when they first came out.Beat them in quite a bit and couldn't putt with them anymore because of how they would drop.I got bored the other day and decided to putt at the basket in the back yard with the wizards again.I was killing it with the Wizards.Now I'm debating on whether or not to get some newer Wizards.I've got way to many discs as it is :doh:

Sounds like you're just sort of a head case. It's not your discs' fault you can't putt. It'd be one thing if you were switching between a Birdie, a Rhyno, a Magic, and a Yeti Aviar, but all the putters you're describing are essentially the same: overstable beaded putter. Attributing your failure to the discs being "beat in too much" is just messing with your head.

I'd recommend Ashley stick with the Wizard too but it hardly matters what you use. If the Rhyno gives you more confidence, you'll hit more putts with it, even though it's an inferior putting putter.

1 putter, 6 paces, make 10 in a row. Don't move until you make 10 in a row. If its not working, go throw up shots and come back to it in five or ten minutes. Work to 8 paces. This is the sweet spot. This drill will simulate mounting pressure and tune you in to each putt. You will start to see and recognize distractions.

Sounds like you're just sort of a head case. It's not your discs' fault you can't putt. It'd be one thing if you were switching between a Birdie, a Rhyno, a Magic, and a Yeti Aviar, but all the putters you're describing are essentially the same: overstable beaded putter. Attributing your failure to the discs being "beat in too much" is just messing with your head.

I'd recommend Ashley stick with the Wizard too but it hardly matters what you use. If the Rhyno gives you more confidence, you'll hit more putts with it, even though it's an inferior putting putter.

It my be all in my head, I dunno.

It was weird though,I had the same stance as always.I was flipping it up like I normally do,but it was going right of the basket instead of straight on.It was almost as if it looked like how my Roadrunner would fly,but in a putting motion.

I'm still going to work with my Yeti's,but for right now I'm sticking with my KC's since they are tried and true.

So today I practiced from 8 steps with the Rhynos and the Wizards.

Wizards were 33/50
Rhynos were 41/50

I think it may be because I have been putting with the Rhyno for 10 years now, and I already make subtle changes without even realizing it. I wasn't trying to putt differently with one or the other.
I know that I have more confidence with my main putter. I've had the same disc in my bag since I started. Maybe the biggest difference is that I putt more confidently with it.

I played doubles last week, and hit 2 back up putts that my partner missed with the Rhyno. I also canned a nice 11 step putt on one of my drives.

For now I am going to stick with the Rhyno as my main putter, and keep working with the Rhynos in the backyard and see where it takes me.