• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting questions?

elfdiscgolfer

Hey, I have a couple putting questions that I am going to take one at a time for now. I putt with the short arm technique and was wondering what kind of putter everyone perfers to use for that technique, a hard putter like the KC Pro Aviar, a soft putter like the JK Pro Aviar, or one in between like the Aviar Putt & Approach. Thanks.

i always prefer a stiff putter.

the stroke of the short arm technique is very quick and usually in a somewhat vertical direction. soft putters will often bend a bit and cause off-axis torquing during this motion. putters that are firm around the rim but soft in the flight plate have a similar problem if you putt with any grip with fingers extended under the flight plate, they flex a bit and make it more difficult to give a clean release.

the last thing i have found, especially when you contrast putters of the same mold in different plastic, are that softer plastics generally have more low speed fade when they drop (a lot of air friction = greater deceleration of spin).

examples of this include the Swirl APX vs. X APX, Omega SS vs. Aviar AP, and JK Aviar vs. KC Aviar or Classic Aviar.

personally, when my putts are on i almost always drill the center of the pole, therefore having a grippy putter really doesn't give me any kind of benefit.

Thanks, my next question is about grip. I'm not 100% on where to hold the disc and how much to curl my wrist. Any thoughts?

where to hold the disc and how much to curl your wrist is kind of the same thing.

i reference the disc like a clock, 6 being the point closest to your body, 12 being pointed at the target. as for this technique, i almost always recommend gripping at 3, which is "wrist neutral" (no curl to start).

gripping closer to 12 will add spin, but also increase the number of pulls to the right. gripping closer to 6 will remove spin and also be harder to get a uniform release if you let your wrist snap during the motion.

i use a heavy magnet with a loose fan grip and try to release as if im shaking someone's hand

this makes the throw with little spin however, if i want more spin i use my middle finger and pull towards me because it's the last finger to leave the disc - <come over here gesture with middle finger>

One question about the putting videos. It looks like most of them are using the short arm technique or a pitch putt. One person I noticed that I think is not using it is Cameron Todd, what style is he using?

the short arm technique is mainly a reference to the stroke length, and technically, you can short arm putt any technique.

cam todd hyzer putts with a VERY compact "short arm" stroke. his is technically still a pitch, just on a very different angle.

chris sprague's putt is a pitch putt, but is the long arm version.

Latest posts