• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting slump

For my putting stroke, left or right is bad, high/low tells me I'm on, just need to make a minor adjustment.

But that is obviously an individual thing based on your own stroke.

Even though it's a highly mental activity, you can reduce how mental it is by having the muscle memory down, stone cold, and that's achieved through tons and tons of repetitions. (Obviously I mean good repetitions. Getting good putting form down comes first). When it comes time to putt out in the real world, if you don't have to think about your body so much, it makes it that much easier to concentrate on the putt. You're listening to somebody who is awful at concentrating and great at putting.

For me it was PP360 in the basement all winter long a couple of years ago that really cemented it, but do whatever works for you to get you into the tons and tons of repetitions.

Also, something else that really helped me was to master a second putting style, in case the primary one isn't working that day. If you master stagger stance AND straddle stance, you can switch between them if one isn't working. That also works a lot for me too. Good luck sir!

For my putting stroke, left or right is bad, high/low tells me I'm on, just need to make a minor adjustment.

But that is obviously an individual thing based on your own stroke.

I'd rather be high and low than left and right.

Though, left and right but correct height is always easier to fix.
But that also depends on your putting style. And Its a reason I don't particularly care for the hard hyzer putt style. You have WAY to many variables vs a more direct approach.

Even though it's a highly mental activity, you can reduce how mental it is by having the muscle memory down, stone cold, and that's achieved through tons and tons of repetitions. (Obviously I mean good repetitions. Getting good putting form down comes first). When it comes time to putt out in the real world, if you don't have to think about your body so much, it makes it that much easier to concentrate on the putt. You're listening to somebody who is awful at concentrating and great at putting.

For me it was PP360 in the basement all winter long a couple of years ago that really cemented it, but do whatever works for you to get you into the tons and tons of repetitions.

Also, something else that really helped me was to master a second putting style, in case the primary one isn't working that day. If you master stagger stance AND straddle stance, you can switch between them if one isn't working. That also works a lot for me too. Good luck sir!

I got a funny way to teach it that pushes it to pure mental game. I got in a huge fight with some people about it, so it's amusing to me. "that wont work"
dude, it works.
"IT WONT WORK"

It does. But it also depends on the person a bit too. But it reduces your repetition time and pushes it all mental.

There are some other huge issues with putting that dont get mentioned enough.

When you start to feel fatigued practice putting, or practicing in general.
Stop.
Stop practicing. Take a break.
You do yourself no good pushing through it, you will hurt your swing and your putt.

if you feel your putting form is slipping or swing slipping, stop, take a break.

Most people are like "ugh, i gotta get tough"
No, learn your body and your stamina for the task.

When you feel fatigued, do your 1 more set of 3 or 5 whatever and stop.

If your arm is jello, stop.
If your legs are tired, stop.

stop stop stop.
Stop practicing tired, 5 practice putts while tired probably destroy 100+ proper putts of muscle memory.

The most annoying thing about our bodies is they thrive on laziness.
I deal with this doing form checks.
I'll get my form tightend up and do form checks.
And it just wrecks my form. Because my minds eye is seeing that poor form.
Well, our body will overwrite good with lazy every day.

When you start to feel fatigued practice putting, or practicing in general.
Stop.
Stop practicing. Take a break.
You do yourself no good pushing through it, you will hurt your swing and your putt.

No argument from me there. If 100 putts brings on physical fatigue at putt #50, then I suppose the second half of those reps wouldn't be doing much good. As always, YMMV.

I was 48 the winter I did my huge putting practice, not out of shape but I wouldn't say I was fit either. I work at a job that is keeping me young, I would say. One round of PP360 is 100 putts, but 40 of them are from 10 and 15 feet. The physicality of this exercise wasn't an issue for me, but no stones thrown at someone who would need to adjust this number.

I never felt like I was losing concentration through that either, and I think going for a score helps there. That's why I recommend it. If you're just doing 100 reps, not for some kind of score or goal, then yeah - I imagine by #65 my attention might wander a bit. Quite the opposite in a game with a score for me. That last putt is worth a whole bunch of points!

What's the yeti putting grip?

I don't know but I was really picturing something like this.

ef2b5ede3e84608952bc321ca064b7a0.jpg

I'd rather be high and low than left and right.

Though, left and right but correct height is always easier to fix.
But that also depends on your putting style. And Its a reason I don't particularly care for the hard hyzer putt style. You have WAY to many variables vs a more direct approach.

As said, for me, if I'm on target, but high or low, it creates confidence, so it's a positive for my mental attitude. When I'm missing right or left it has the opposite effect.

Of course that's just me and how I putt.

I do believe that practice efforts should be intentional and generally not just repetition. I think it is really important to develop a routine that you can just "do" on the course without having to think about it.

My routine starts with standing up straight and square behind the marker and feeling for the wind. Then setting my feet (typically staggered, but I practice straddle as well).

Please tell us more! I'm prone to missing left (as a lefty)

It's how 5x (last I heard) world putting champ Jay "Yeti" Reading grips his putter. He demonstrated it in a video when Innova first released the Yeti Aviar, but I can't seem to find that video. Basically, instead of using anything akin to a fan grip that flings the putter with a sideways hand movement, pinch the putter between thumb and forefinger in the front so that the plastic kind of bulges and propel with a straight forward movement that finishes by pushing it forward with the thumb. The yeti aviar was made from a mold of Jay's disc , and it has a slightly concave ring formed in the flight plate from where he applies thumb pressure, akin to a thumb track. This grip also gives precise control of every angle of orientation of the disc. It's like flying the disc instead of flinging it.

It's how 5x (last I heard) world putting champ Jay "Yeti" Reading grips his putter. He demonstrated it in a video when Innova first released the Yeti Aviar, but I can't seem to find that video. Basically, instead of using anything akin to a fan grip that flings the putter with a sideways hand movement, pinch the putter between thumb and forefinger in the front so that the plastic kind of bulges and propel with a straight forward movement that finishes by pushing it forward with the thumb. The yeti aviar was made from a mold of Jay's disc , and it has a slightly concave ring formed in the flight plate from where he applies thumb pressure, akin to a thumb track. This grip also gives precise control of every angle of orientation of the disc. It's like flying the disc instead of flinging it.

...but no furry gloves?

Tournament today. Apparently still in a slump. I have one day to get my putt dialed back in before my next sanctioned round. Oddly enough, most of today's misses hit the cage. I think my recent streak of hitting the band has me over correcting.

Tournament today. Apparently still in a slump. I have one day to get my putt dialed back in before my next sanctioned round. Oddly enough, most of today's misses hit the cage. I think my recent streak of hitting the band has me over correcting.

The biggest thing to avoid is practicing at a range at which you miss as it ruins confidence. And maybe it's just me, but I find practicing day of does not help at all. Have to get that practice in the day before or earlier. Also, over practicing is a well known problem, so you can't just put in a bunch of practice the day before. Just have to put it in over time and in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBzsuyiY0lM

The video quality is horrible.
I don't really like how I explained everything.
But all the info to do the drill is there, mostly.

Plus the advanced version of it.

I'll re-do this video at some point, but this is the version I have of it and the best way I have come up with to teach putting that actually works vs standing outside and putting 500 times a day and blowing your arm out to miss every putt on the course.

This is seriously like a 15 mins a day sorta exercise and you'll watch your putting get better on the course.

I've been watching Buhr and Robinson: they are upright, well-balanced, and throw the disc with a natural movement.

I've thrown a lot of things in my life, and that form makes a lot of sense to me.

There are many folks with complicated rituals, that while it may work for them, seem needlessly complex to me.

Throw the disc at the damn basket with balance and comfort.

Update. My putting seems to be coming back around. I do think putting on my trip with a mold that I don't normally putt with and then getting back on my usual putters when I got back just had me off my game briefly. Made a good percentage of my putts during a tournament on Sunday. Had some misses from outside the circle but that's pretty typical. At least everything inside of about twenty feet felt good.

I had a slump lately. I generally feel like putting is a strength, which honestly says more about other people's putting than mine.

I did my first ever putting league a few weeks ago. I had never putted in the dark and all the stations were long, C2 putts that were outside my comfortable range. And the darkness messed with my depth perception. I made 4 of 36 putts (which was actually 2nd in B pool and my random draw team won the night).

And then my putting was awful for the next several rounds I played. When I miss, I tend to lean too far forward and hit cage a lot. I identified that and focused on standing up straighter and getting more power from my back foot. And I probably had 6 band misses over 2 rounds. I didn't miss anything in the last round I played Saturday, so maybe it fixed itself?

So, not that I'm the best putter in the first place but lately I've kind of been in a slump.

I made a trip a few weeks ago and opted to not take my normal putter and instead just used an Envy and Harp and didn't putt as well as I would normally do. When I returned from my trip I figured going back to the Judges that I normally use would fix that but apparently it is me more than the discs.

Besides the obvious fix of just hitting the practice basket, is there anything else I should be doing to get back on track?

Update. My putting seems to be coming back around. I do think putting on my trip with a mold that I don't normally putt with and then getting back on my usual putters when I got back just had me off my game briefly. Made a good percentage of my putts during a tournament on Sunday. Had some misses from outside the circle but that's pretty typical. At least everything inside of about twenty feet felt good.

Sooooo....it sounds like the answer to the original question is........no.

Latest posts