• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting very well 30’ indoors - how to replicate on-course?

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Through winter I've been practice putting in the basement at about 30'. I can regularly make 7 to 10 out of 10 putts. On the course I make so much fewer putts from a similar range. I'm finally using all the same putter instead of a few of these and a few of those… I kinda thought practicing with the same putting putter would show improvement.

When I practice, I grab one putter at a time, and reset between putts, so there's less of a rhythm (of course there is still a rhythm).

I usually spend a few minutes practice putting for a casual tags round, and then pfft… when it's time to throw for reals, like today when I dropped from 2nd to 8th…

Is it just terrain, footing, wind, height changes? I dunno. I should be able to practice putt outside more regularly soon. Hoping that helps.

Through winter I've been practice putting in the basement at about 30'. I can regularly make 7 to 10 out of 10 putts. On the course I make so much fewer putts from a similar range. I'm finally using all the same putter instead of a few of these and a few of those… I kinda thought practicing with the same putting putter would show improvement.

When I practice, I grab one putter at a time, and reset between putts, so there's less of a rhythm (of course there is still a rhythm).

I usually spend a few minutes practice putting for a casual tags round, and then pfft… when it's time to throw for reals, like today when I dropped from 2nd to 8th…

Is it just terrain, footing, wind, height changes? I dunno. I should be able to practice putt outside more regularly soon. Hoping that helps.

Drag that basket outside on nicer days. You live in freaking Missouri, man. It cannot be that bad there all winter. Throw the basket in the car and drive down to the park for a round of practice or two.

I find the same is true of putting leagues. I think they hold value, in the repetition, but I don't think they are the full answer. All of the work will pay off, keep up the good work.

Is it just terrain, footing, wind, height changes? I dunno.

Nope. It's probably more mental even if you don't think it is.

In my backyard I can make a high percentage of putts. Not so much out on the course.

I don't consciously feel any pressure playing a live round but I think lining up a putt that actually "counts" must put a little pressure on me somewhere in the back of my mind.

I'm just thinking out loud.
But indoors is what the rifle shooters call a KD (known distance) range.
Even if you vary your position a bit, you can't help knowing exactly how far you are. There are plenty of visual clues from a very familiar setting.
Outdoors, every shot has some amount of inexactness in estimating the distance. You know that, and that takes the edge off your confidence too. Either the range inexactness or the mental difference might be the problem.

I used to try to get in some practice in my basement but found it at the least unproductive and at times counterproductive. Ceiling is low enough that it was making me putt much flatter than I would by choice outdoors which in turn was leading to coming up short a lot when I moved outside.

I was asking the same question in a different space and was sent this (https://open.lib.umn.edu/psychomotorskills/chapter/random-vs-blocked-practice/):
---
Vary practice conditions

Blocked practice (practicing the same skill under the same conditions) leads to more rapid gains in performance but limited transfer when variability is introduced. Random practice (adding variability and interleaving practice types) slows learning but improves retention and transfer.

Contextual interference effect

This is known as the contextual interference effect. Low contextual interference is associated with blocked, low variable practice situations. Rapid skill improvement occurs but learning is poor. Lower levels of GABA (the inhibitory neurotransmitter) were produced with random practice, while higher levels were produced with blocked practice.

--

Similar to what you're getting at, my takeaway was that I can learn how to throw my 25 foot putts in the basement (and smooth the motion out) but to translate to the course, I'll have to add more variables (change angles, elevation, etc). The only thing I could really do is add obstacles to putt around.

There are a bunch of articles like this one, suggesting more accuracy from leveraging the CI effect.

https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2015/06000/Contextual_Interference_Effect_on.18.aspx
-Our data provide evidence for the CI effect, as the random group demonstrated significantly more accurate judgments in the 7-d laboratory-based retention test compared to the blocked group and the pretest.

I found another article (that I'm struggling to find now) suggesting that adding additional activities with varying movement could also improve performance across all activities. In the dead of winter i was blocking net driving, disc putting, and then practiced my ball golf putting.

The basket will be outside again soon. It's just easy at the end of the day, dark outside, chores done, family is settled, to go downstairs and throw.

Variability, like a couple of others just mentioned could be a thing as well.

Not sure how you're doing things in the basement but my backyard practice involves varying distances and I putt from multiple directions in those various distances. I also putt "downhill" from my deck and "uphill" from the ground up to my deck. Also, I get a surprising amount of wind in the back yard frequently so that variable also comes into play.

My routine is also probably different than others because I only practice with two putters. Rather than jam ten putts from the same spot I think it helps if I putt a couple of times, retrieve them, and then kind of have to reset and do it again.

I would say, yes it is terrain, footing, wind, height changes that lead to the difference....but not "just" those.

But more than those, I think the biggest difference is distraction. Indoors, you don't have tree branches/bushes moving in the wind...you don't have other players near you whispering or moving around (no matter how slightly), you don't have traffic/airplane noise, or even noise from other groups.

And on the course, it matters. Miss a putt indoors, or even in the back yard...so what, pick it up and putt again, or if you have multiple putters, keep putting until you make it. On the course....one putt is all you get per try...miss and you have to add a stroke and try from another spot.

I have an enclosed backyard and my cat won't leave the yard. So when I practice, I let him wander around. He provides a distraction (I really don't want to hit him with a disc) and I actually end up putting better since I sometimes have to reset (allowed due to distractions in the line of play) and I end up practicing better than with no distractions. When I get to the course, distractions bother me less.

So you're saying he needs to get a cat? Lol.

Distractions can be different for different people. The group that I play most of my casual rounds with is just one big distraction. I've played with them enough that you just get used to people talking and moving around or dogs wandering around the basket that eventually you just don't really take notice of anything when you putt. Aside from you blowing an air horn right as I'm releasing, distractions don't really factor into any of my misses.

But, everyone is different.

I wish I could answer these for you. All I can offer is one of my strategies.

To try to make each putt count, I practice a certain number of made putts and don't count the misses. I do either 50 or 100 makes. I do it outside because: 1) I'm in Louisiana; and, 2) I have no indoors place to practice. If I am inaccurate, I practice more. If I am accurate, I get my practice in quicker. I find it helps me concentrate a little better.

Would throw temperature (ambient, body, disc/hand interface) into the mix with all those other course conditions as something requiring adjustment from indoor practice.

Ambient temperature outside will affect the combination of moisture/sweat on your hand and grip provided by the plastic (colder usually means stiffer). I've started wearing gloves all the way up to ~50 degrees out. Occasionally need to breath into my hand to add some moisture/warmth.

Gotta warm up the full body before starting the round to make sure you are at a similar body temperature to when you practice indoors. Putting with layers on outside is different than indoors without the extra weight/restricted movement.

I tend to practice more from 20ft range to increase confidence and lock in a good routine for those. Usually running 30-40 foot putts will leave me at that range if I miss metal. Practicing indoors has also given me a better feel for what a good putt feels like even when footing might be slightly different on the course.

From personal experience of putting 30' for 20 mins a day out of my garage to basket, and making 7-9 of them, is that it's all in the head.

Once on the course the putts mean something. I try and not make them mean something. It's just another practice putt at home. It sort of works. Stokely mentions something like this on one of his videos. Make the putt "not matter".

Don't practice with a stack of putters in your hand. Place them somewhere you need to move to get the next disc. Then every putt will be more similar to on the course. Bang, bang, bang doesn't really help anyone. And when it comes to going outside, you have wind which will require you to use the same stroke while holding and releasing at different angles.

So you're saying he needs to get a cat? Lol.

Distractions can be different for different people. The group that I play most of my casual rounds with is just one big distraction. I've played with them enough that you just get used to people talking and moving around or dogs wandering around the basket that eventually you just don't really take notice of anything when you putt. Aside from you blowing an air horn right as I'm releasing, distractions don't really factor into any of my misses.

But, everyone is different.

Naw, cats aren't needed. But you are right - distractions are different for everyone. However, the OP is going from 'probably' no distractions at all, to a few to many distractions. That can make a difference. The point is....maybe practice indoors with distractions. A floor fan that oscillates so that sometimes it is blowing on the person and sometimes not. Is there another family member? Have them talk to them while putting....especially unexpectedly. Give someone a disc and have them randomly throw it at the basket or floor. That can help with ignoring distractions that could happen on the course.

My point is - putting indoors, out of wind and without distractions is like meditating...it is easy to do with there are no distractions, but is more difficult the worse the distractions get.

I've had some on course improvement lately. Not consistent as I'd like as I still shank short putts at times, but, I started focusing on my release. Trying to visualize the path of the disc from my hand to the basket.

Indoor to outdoor putting woes depends on the putting style.

Mainly the issue is "how" you practice putt, not that you're practicing indoors or outdoors.

But if you're a hyzer putter or a lob putter, you might see more differences outside vs inside.

Indoor to outdoor putting woes depends on the putting style.

Mainly the issue is "how" you practice putt, not that you're practicing indoors or outdoors.

But if you're a hyzer putter or a lob putter, you might see more differences outside vs inside.

I'm spush with more direct line to the basket (no lob), and flat to slight Hyzer release angle. I guess most similar to Eagle's motion, but not as much spin. My miss is low (and heavy chain-outs weak side) Concentrating on a nose-up release is usually my make or break.

I used to push putt until the high winds last spring (entire 2022?), deciding I should concentrate on a less wind-dependent style.

I'm spush with more direct line to the basket (no lob), and flat to slight Hyzer release angle. I guess most similar to Eagle's motion, but not as much spin. My miss is low (and heavy chain-outs weak side) Concentrating on a nose-up release is usually my make or break.

I used to push putt until the high winds last spring (entire 2022?), deciding I should concentrate on a less wind-dependent style.

Raise your chin while putting if you're missing low.

Another thought.
Do you wear the same shoes? You might even be barefoot indoors, and wearing boots outdoors. I'm not sure the angle change on your spine is enough, but it might be.

I saw an article about a pitcher who practices with different weight balls to add that CI variability. If he can still throw a strike with whatever ball he picks up he has control.

Latest posts