• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting vs. Mid-range game

When i first started playing my philosophy on the game was to just get a drive down the fairway. Then id go for the pin on the second shot. (usually with a Roc) At first I was hitting a lot of sweet birdies from 70-80 ft. out.
As i got a bigger arm my philosophy has changed and now I'm basically throwing the ace run every time and focusing more on the 30-40 foot putts. Which seems better to me but because of how ive always played the game my putting never remains solid. Yes my scores are a lot better (-5 avg. at my home course) but i still miss about two to three birdies that i know four months ago i definitely would have hit with the Rocs.
Now if i try to incorporate the mid-range game back in its horrible but my putting has always been infulenced by how i throw the mid-ranges (no to mention the roc is a multi-purp. so i used to always finish with the Rocs no matter the distance) Straight, gut shot putting is my Kryptonite; even 10 ft away im not safe lol. I currently use a Star Rhyno and a KC Pro Aviar. I've used everything from a R-pro Dart, classic aviar, dx rhyno, blow flyy, soft Apx, to Prototype focuses (esp and pro-d). I've performed 50/50 with the hard stable putters and the soft to super soft putters.

So now the question remains which do you, or should you rely on to splash those chains; The mid-range or the putting?

Help me understand this: you were more accurate from 80ft with Rocs than at 40ft with putters? What percentage of putts did you sink from 80ft?

Not necessarily..i used to only sink the Roc shots about 40% of the time however hitting chains and the pin all together the outcome was around 85-90%. Par was a breeze back then but now its unacceptable. With the attack strategy i have now i usually end up with gimmes in the birdie situations, but when i do not it's those 30-40 footers that i cant sink to save my life. And when you attack those shots you can end up hurting yourself (which i more times than none end up doing) and over shooting the pin and sometimes can cause you to bogey from an easy par.

The putting percentages have always been below 50% it seems no matter what i use. I always take two putts or more, because i still consider myself pretty experienced and i'd be nothing without those mulligans on putting

So ultimately i would get a better outcome "on paper" back in the day as far as no bogeys and always playing safe. Now playing aggressively i will get bogeys more often but the end total is always under par. haha pun intended!

Last edited:
At those distances I'd highly recommend throwing putters. Mids, like the Roc, don't really shine until you're throwing them 200'-250' at least.

Best thing I ever have done is start playing for par and let the birdies come. What I mean is take the high percentage shots and be smart on your ability when deciding whether to go for it. The birdies come more often that way, beleive it or not, and I think that has a lot to do with what you are talking about between using the mids or putting since you are so concerned with those birdie shots.

Best thing to do, is work on the putting TBH

I'd go with a softer, floppier putter from 30 - 40 feet out. If they miss, they shouldn't go too far. And give the disc JUST enough juice to get there.

It's always great when you reach the pin in 1 and try for the bird, but don't forget that a good midrange is absolutely vital to your game. Practice both! =]

Practice, practice, practice. Be consistent in what you do while putting. Stick with 1 good putter and don't deviate. Make sure that putter is a SS or SSS Wizard. You'll be fine. Good luck.

If your course has short teepads, play a round from them, if not, then play a course nearby which does, or have some of your friends go with you and make up shorts for your home course. This way, you have to throw mids/putters and be accurate. My friend/doubles partner and I usually play a local course every weekend, and we play a round from the longs, then a round from the shorts. This way we get practice in on all our shots. It's amazing when I play the State points series courses, I may have an upshot to take, and I'll know EXACTLY which disc to throw because it will remind me of a shot that I practice a lot. If you want to be an all-around good player on any course you go to, you need to have a good short game. If you only play one course, it will not matter as much.

It sounds like you only practice by playing rounds. That is not practice. You need to get a basket and practice the 40' to 80' shots, because you don't get enough of those shots during a round. Also practice putting, then go out in a big field and practice driving for distance. Don't change your game, start practicing.

Last edited:
I think I should be asking for advice from YOU if you are 40% success rate and 90% metal hits with putts at 80 ft after only half a year of playing.

Practice, practice, practice. Be consistent in what you do while putting. Stick with 1 good putter and don't deviate. Make sure that putter is a SS or SSS Wizard. You'll be fine. Good luck.

I agree with everything but the last part. Get a Magnet. They love the chains.

It sounds like you only practice by playing rounds. That is not practice. You need to get a basket and practice the 40' to 80' shots, because you don't get enough of those shots during a round. Also practice putting, then go out in a big field and practice driving for distance. Don't change your game, start practicing.

Could not agree more. There simply is no substitute for practice--especially when it comes to putting.

Thanks everyone i appreciate the input...And i definaetly shouldnt be giving out to much advice lol me and my doubles partner are well above the skill level of people playing this long but its only because we have good foundation from years of other sports (baseball, bowling, and TENNIS). The fundamentals and techniuqe are very similar just finding those differences and knowing the knowledge of the game has allowed us to accel way above our experience. We still have a long way to go still and i know that!!

Now if i try to incorporate the mid-range game back in its horrible but my putting has always been infulenced by how i throw the mid-ranges (no to mention the roc is a multi-purp. so i used to always finish with the Rocs no matter the distance) Straight, gut shot putting is my Kryptonite; even 10 ft away im not safe lol. I currently use a Star Rhyno and a KC Pro Aviar. I've used everything from a R-pro Dart, classic aviar, dx rhyno, blow flyy, soft Apx, to Prototype focuses (esp and pro-d). I've performed 50/50 with the hard stable putters and the soft to super soft putters.

So now the question remains which do you, or should you rely on to splash those chains; The mid-range or the putting?

Well, half a year is not nearly long enough to be frustrated with your putting. its not even long enough to really settle on one putter, or a stance for that matter. you've tried a lot of different options in a very short time, and that is not going to help you build consistency. pick one of those that you already have, the one that comes off the hand the best, and stick with it for a month and see what you think of it then. when you find one that you think you MAY be able to stand behind, buy 5 more so when you practice your putting(which is the next step, or maybe should have been the first step) you can throw 6 putts before you have to go pick them up off the ground, and eventually you will be picking them all up out of the basket. soft or hard isn't your issue at this point, that wont matter much until you are consistent in your accuracy. i like a hard putter personally, because i have more confidence with it in the wind and I usually throw my putts pretty hard. if you really want to putt well, get a basket for your yard.

I do mainly play rounds for practice but once i get my own pin that will all change. I have a couple spots/fields where i practice driving frequently and it shows but im still at that huge disadvantage without that set up pin to practice the rest. Its definately my next investment it really is the only way to build a solid game. Thanks man

Best thing I ever have done is start playing for par and let the birdies come. What I mean is take the high percentage shots and be smart on your ability when deciding whether to go for it. The birdies come more often that way, beleive it or not, and I think that has a lot to do with what you are talking about between using the mids or putting since you are so concerned with those birdie shots.

Best thing to do, is work on the putting TBH

agreed. while playing for par, i think i make alot smarter decisions on how to make my next throw. I'm not trying to throw a miracle shot to get a birdie.

Latest posts