• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting with wide stance or narrow

Kjimsern

Par Member
Ive been putting in the work for the last 4 years, getting help here with putting motion/styles etc.

Ricky was putting his hats off this weekend and i just messed around with his stance.

Its so wide compared to mine, mine is very narrow.

It looks like his energy goes a little sideways then forward, i tried that stance and it feelt kinda nice and balanced but it feelt harder to get the energy straight forward since its not that narrow anymore.

Anyone with some good research on this?

im considering going with wider stance because of the balance it gives me, but im afraid it will be harder to rock back and forward and have the optimal shovel motion.

If you have anything on this, i would appreciate it.

Just poking around in the dark here but I bet it is like backhand drives: some people can work with a ton of stagger like Simon and others can work with a very wide stance like Schusterick to generate power. In my form review thread sidewinder and Brychanus have given me the advice to start with a narrow stance and low amounts of stagger and learn to transfer power from there.

I bet you could adapt a version of the door frame drill to your putting stance to find the right width for your putting stance.

But again, thats just poking in the dark.

Just poking around in the dark here but I bet it is like backhand drives: some people can work with a ton of stagger like Simon and others can work with a very wide stance like Schusterick to generate power. In my form review thread sidewinder and Brychanus have given me the advice to start with a narrow stance and low amounts of stagger and learn to transfer power from there.

I bet you could adapt a version of the door frame drill to your putting stance to find the right width for your putting stance.

I can put the stagger vs wide into perspective on a backhand drive easily.

What were looking to do is control our weight shift as well as our hip position in the kinetic chain.

Moving slowly with a small plant, you will want to step more out and wide to stop the hips on the target line.
If you step wider, its important to get your body weight behind the brace, which is harder on a wider step vs a more staggered step, So running at the brace you'd want to be "wide" vs "staggered" as the wider stance will stop your hips on the target line.

As for putting.
The key to putting is "do what works and what you can replicate the most consistently every time. "

If that literally means standing on your head after performing "I'm a little teapot" and then putting. That's what you need to do.

My putting stance is incredibly unconventional, but I can easily generate 50-60 foot of power in a putt without having to jump and leap around like a ninny as these "pro" players deem is necessary to get a 35foot putt to the basket.

I could do a video on generational power in putts.
But in the end, its finding what you can replicate as exact every time and be confident in.

Thanks for the video.

Latest posts