• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting woes

Jethoho

I've been practicing my putting pretty consistently now for a couple of months. I go through stages of not being able to miss, to being okay, then not being able to make a putt, and then back to never missing. This is all in practice. My putting during actual play has remained just okay. Practice for me usually consists of putting from 5 feet to build confidence, then a mix of 15, 20, and 30 foot putts. I carry four putters with me and putt all 4 from the same spot, then move to another spot. Other forms of practice, and my preferred method is playing horse or around the world with friends. This is where I tend to putt the best. I'm wondering if during practice I'm not focused enough and have no pressure to make the putt because there are no consequences. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, any ways to make practicing by myself more fun and challenging. How do you guys practice and build consistency? I'm struggling.

A lot of people will tell you that practicing every putt as if it's a tournament putt will keep you more consistent. Follow the exact same routine every time as if it's a tournament shot. That's all fine and good, and likely has merit, but it's boring to me, and I don't think it's strictly necessary.

Two things make you a good putter.
1. Your mental approach to it.
2. Finding the most comfortable, repeatable stroke FOR YOU.

I really enjoy practice putting, and I will usually put in my ear buds, play my favorite music, and just zone out. Don't over think mechanics or anything else...just be in the zone and develop the muscle memory. Sometimes I scatter putters around the yard and putt one at a time. Sometimes I hold a stack of 8 and putt all of them in a row. I don't think it matters.

You can make games for yourself, or track stats, or imagine your favorite movie star removes an article of clothing for every putt you make. Doesn't matter...just get the reps in.

The single most important thing to putting is that when you step up to the lie you're done thinking about the putt. You do not think about making it. You do not think about missing it. You don't think about a mechanical portion of the stroke, the wind, or anything else. You zero in on your target, empty your head, and trust your body to put the disc on the target. All that other crap should have been figured out before you got in your stance.

I've been practicing my putting pretty consistently now for a couple of months.

If you've been playing for 0.3 years, then welcome to the addiction. You will join the massive ranks of putters who struggle with consistency for the next couple years at least.

You don't have to look far in youtube tournament footage to find 1000+ rated professional golfers missing putts, getting into their own heads and getting worked over by the short ones.

Practice, have fun and be patient with it - it takes time.

The single most important thing to putting is that when you step up to the lie you're done thinking about the putt. You do not think about making it. You do not think about missing it. You don't think about a mechanical portion of the stroke, the wind, or anything else. You zero in on your target, empty your head, and trust your body to put the disc on the target. All that other crap should have been figured out before you got in your stance.

This is the key and it's why I've never been a "great" putter. It's why like most folks I can "have it all figured out" and come tourney time I'm over the disc doing exactly what Broken is saying not to do. It's really freaking hard to clear your head and let your body do the work. It reminds me of meditation, except you have to get to the head space immediately. I can do it during solo practice rounds pretty often, but that added pressure of competition makes it hard for me to get to that mental space. One time I asked by buddy what he was thinking in regard to mechanics and what not when he was going through his routine. He looked at me like I was an idiot and replied, "nothing man, nothing". He studies sports psychology. He reminded me I was in fact a great putter and just needed to execute.

I think MJ is in this sort of mental space 100% of the time on all shots regardless of the event. It's why he is one of my favorite players of all time. He has mastered the hardest part of the game IMO and you can tell by his body language and shot execution he really knows how to get in the zone and stay there. He is pretty much a fully enlightened disc golf monk.

I'm no expert, and not a great player, but I ain't bad player either. With that said, one thing I've learnt to make putting practice more fun is to step outside of my normal mundane routine. For example, I might try fade away putts for ****s and giggles, try to mimic the form of my favorite pros, putt through that tiny gap between tree branches, try to land it on top of the basket, turbo putt over a dodgy friend's head, etc.. You get the picture.

Doing these things will help you know your putts and tendencies better, which will ultimately make you a more skilled disc golfer. Plus it makes the game more laughable, which is always a good thing.

Hope this helps.

I say find a putting set of steps you can do nearly 100% the same each time for standerd non wind putts, then find what works for wind shots, I have a few options Putting harder to even using a Star or old plastic Pro Shark both 175 grams. I have done both. Now for further out from 25 feet I often use a back leg kick, the back leg pushes forward if I am not using one of my max weight Sharks, that is a longer flying disc so I really don't use it till I am past 33-35 feet unless vary windy. I will do my regular putt with this disc, but a bit more angle to the disc as it is not a putter, unless it is windy then regular putt. Having a more overstable disc you can putt with like a slower putter shaped midrange or a over-stable putter is worth it. If the disc you like has a soft version get one to use as your hill putter, for uphill and downhill putting.

Last edited:
I say find a putting set of steps you can do nearly 100% the same each time for standerd non wind putts, then find what works for wind shots, I have a few options Putting harder to even using a Star or old plastic Pro Shark both 175 grams. I have done both. Now for further out from 25 feet I often use a back leg kick, the back leg pushes forward if I am not using one of my max weight Sharks, that is a longer flying disc so I really don't use it till I am past 33-35 feet unless vary windy. I will do my regular putt with this disc, but a bit more angle to the disc as it is not a putter, unless it is windy then regular putt. Having a more overstable disc you can putt with like a slower putter shaped midrange or a over-stable putter is worth it. If the disc you like has a soft version get one to use as your hill putter, for uphill and downhill putting.

Why do you need a soft disc to putt uphill?

Why do you need a soft disc to putt uphill?

Depends on the shot but I do because I have had a putt with a harder putter not stick on the landing bounce and roll back to the bottom further from where I was putting from or hit the rim or bottom catcher of the basket and roll back down. This easier to do with a hard putter or a bouncy one, Make sure it is more a soft putter rather then a really bouncy the type of putter that is softer one but has too much elasticity type putter. You will know what I mean, some putters like a new R-Pro Putter or the Jawbreaker plastic can be too bouncy, letting them sit outside on a hot day for a few hours might help or in a car on a hot day for an Hour. I did sit mine outside for 6 hours to soften them up a bit. then stuck them in the freezer for a minute or two till I could touch them as they were hot to touch. Now they are still bouncy but not as much as before, I can use them to throw uphill and downhill shots.

Depends on the shot but I do because I have had a putt with a harder putter not stick on the landing bounce and roll back to the bottom further from where I was putting from or hit the rim or bottom catcher of the basket and roll back down. This easier to do with a hard putter or a bouncy one, Make sure it is more a soft putter rather then a really bouncy the type of putter that is softer one but has too much elasticity type putter. You will know what I mean, some putters like a new R-Pro Putter or the Jawbreaker plastic can be too bouncy, letting them sit outside on a hot day for a few hours might help or in a car on a hot day for an Hour. I did sit mine outside for 6 hours to soften them up a bit. then stuck them in the freezer for a minute or two till I could touch them as they were hot to touch. Now they are still bouncy but not as much as before, I can use them to throw uphill and downhill shots.

I'd rather be confident in my regular putter and miss less. Forget these other variables when putting.
You seem to be talking about both putting and approaching though.

I'd rather be confident in my regular putter and miss less. Forget these other variables when putting.

Actually I was meaning approach putting, different it is like long putting trying to change that up to have the putting work for you, I was saying for long putts whatever that distance back form the closer putting is that your regular putter can't work as a putter, unless toy use a type of approach putter as your regular putter. Some do and thus can hit longer putts with their main putter.

I use my regular putter or my other disc that is the same as my putter just only an approach putter, I labeled each disc as my putting disc until the disc is too far away to being a putting shot for me, then most use a Putter that is used as a lower profile driving putter, Colt, Zone, Dart, or Wedge something like that Unless those types are your main putting putter as well or they go with a putter like midrange, a Comet, a Buzz, a Skeeter, or a Shark. I use a max weight Shark n 175 grams in Star and Pro for the Approach shot as well as midrange, and mega wind days, steady around or over 30 mph depending on the type of hole conditions I am putting into. Like a putt in a wooded area I would still use my main putter if the woods offered enough protection.

I just got my new putter actually same putters in August, Magnets in just a just a new plastic, and then did a quick method of having the plastic at the constancy it would be in a few months of constant play, it gets to a point in flex then stays there for a while I just have to have have the disc rim get worn in now, I still have the old hard plastic Pro D putter pre 2006 that was also stiff. Due to a course I played on vaction I had to get rid of the newer hard Pro D Magnet that plastic was softer on, my approach disc, so I got new Magnet Putters in Jawbraker Plastic.

On vacation at a course in Erie State Park, NY they had a basket that was in my mind too close behind a tree, you had only one side to putt into thick brush with wild roses was on one side while the other side was a cliff so you had to make your shot to the left side of the basket and I hit a tree as my disc landed with the tree in front of the basket I was using my softer hard Pro D Magnet the approach putting/longer putting one with a forehand putt, the only shot I could do and had the disc get a big chunk taken out of the disc to the point the disc would not be legal to use anymore, that and the disc flew off understable or overstable depending on what point the spin rotation would stop for the disc. I had to get new Magnet putters in Jawbreaker and Saw Disc Golf Nerd review the same disc on YouTube earlier then asked him how he like d them now, then just made the two discs 173-174 grams for my uses labeling in Sharpie one Approach as in longer putts to very short putts then the other as my putter and putting the ring from the D Magnets on the disc as I use the ring as a thumb guide when putting.

I had my old putter the one I got rid of, gone in recycling from 2007 but was one my brother tried for a month in 2004 before using a DX Gator he beat in. The other not as stiff one from 2007 was to to replace a maroon red Magnet I lost in some bushes at a tournament, maroon red is a bad color choice for a disc. So the old putters were 10 and 11 for me, as the used putter disc was only used for a month in 2004. I needed to replaced the softer hard D Magnet as I did for a few other discs that were worn out end of last year and the beginning of this year a few that were wore out and just needed replacing. I still have the old pre 2006 hard Pro D Magnet also 173-174 grams. I need to replace my uphill and downhill and well as a longer putter if I can't get my longer approach Jawbraker Magnet or my hard Pro D Magnet to work as that old one is too light a wight to really use an older Upshot #2 or U-2 as it says on the disc in Prostyle plastic, was 166 grams and is now more like 164 grams.

I've been practicing my putting pretty consistently now for a couple of months. I go through stages of not being able to miss, to being okay, then not being able to make a putt, and then back to never missing. This is all in practice. My putting during actual play has remained just okay. Practice for me usually consists of putting from 5 feet to build confidence, then a mix of 15, 20, and 30 foot putts. I carry four putters with me and putt all 4 from the same spot, then move to another spot. Other forms of practice, and my preferred method is playing horse or around the world with friends. This is where I tend to putt the best. I'm wondering if during practice I'm not focused enough and have no pressure to make the putt because there are no consequences. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, any ways to make practicing by myself more fun and challenging. How do you guys practice and build consistency? I'm struggling.

10-15 putters, and practice hitting the same spot every time. To me, 4 putters is way too few and kind of a waste of time. I know most say you need the same mold for putting practice, but inside the circle I use a variety of molds and it works fine. Outside the circle is where different molds come into play more.

I just got my new putter actually same putters in August, Magnets in just a just a new plastic, and then did a quick method of having the plastic at the constancy it would be in a few months of constant play, it gets to a point in flex then stays there for a while I just have to have have the disc rim get worn in now, I still have the old hard plastic Pro D putter pre 2006 that was also stiff. Due to a course I played on vaction I had to get rid of the newer hard Pro D Magnet that plastic was softer on, my approach disc, so I got new Magnet Putters in Jawbraker Plastic.

On vacation at a course in Erie State Park, NY they had a basket that was in my mind too close behind a tree, you had only one side to putt into thick brush with wild roses was on one side while the other side was a cliff so you had to make your shot to the left side of the basket and I hit a tree as my disc landed with the tree in front of the basket I was using my softer hard Pro D Magnet the approach putting/longer putting one with a forehand putt, the only shot I could do and had the disc get a big chunk taken out of the disc to the point the disc would not be legal to use anymore, that and the disc flew off understable or overstable depending on what point the spin rotation would stop for the disc. I had to get new Magnet putters in Jawbreaker and Saw Disc Golf Nerd review the same disc on YouTube earlier then asked him how he like d them now, then just made the two discs 173-174 grams for my uses labeling in Sharpie one Approach as in longer putts to very short putts then the other as my putter and putting the ring from the D Magnets on the disc as I use the ring as a thumb guide when putting.

I had my old putter the one I got rid of, gone in recycling from 2007 but was one my brother tried for a month in 2004 before using a DX Gator he beat in. The other not as stiff one from 2007 was to to replace a maroon red Magnet I lost in some bushes at a tournament, maroon red is a bad color choice for a disc. So the old putters were 10 and 11 for me, as the used putter disc was only used for a month in 2004. I needed to replaced the softer hard D Magnet as I did for a few other discs that were worn out end of last year and the beginning of this year a few that were wore out and just needed replacing. I still have the old pre 2006 hard Pro D Magnet also 173-174 grams. I need to replace my uphill and downhill and well as a longer putter if I can't get my longer approach Jawbraker Magnet or my hard Pro D Magnet to work as that old one is too light a wight to really use an older Upshot #2 or U-2 as it says on the disc in Prostyle plastic, was 166 grams and is now more like 164 grams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgIlTyCiVYQ

Last edited:
In that post above I contradicted myself. I got rid of the softer Hard Pro D Magnet as that was the further out putter and kept the one that was the old Hard Pro Magnet that was stiff that was my main putter after trying to use the Lighting before DuPont Rubber Putter at 172 grams that is now My Mom'st then a g9i Wizard also 172 grams then I tried to force a X Putt'r in only Elite X plastic. I had to get rid of the softer Magntet, The thing got the ding nick that made the disc at end of flight go to the right or left due to the spin and where the ding is in that flight. I now have some tougher Jawbreaker Magnets in addition to my Hard Pro D Magnet that is stiff for winder days before I would pull out my Max weight Sharks one Old Pro the other is Star and when it is too hot to use the Jawbreaker Magnets Out goes the Hard Pro D Magnet that is stiff as well or My older Upshot #2 or U-2 at 166 grams, I will use that for Upshot and downhill putts as well as longer putts if I am not making it with my approach labeled Magnet. My other Magnet is labeled my Putting Magnet, this basically is designating a longer Magnet for Long Putting/very short aproach and a Magnet for Putting. I saw a professional open player do this as well as a Amateur Master that would be in the 40-50 range at the time. Now a 50-55 age Master. I know the Amateur Master and he lives in my town, uses a Blunt Gumputt as his putter and a Gumputt as his longer putter/very short approach.

Casey I tried hard. I re-read your posts several times until my brain seized up. I did get some knowledge though. I will never buy a maroon putter.

Latest posts