• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting

Thizzle J

My game is all drive and my putting sucks a$$. Any tips on technique or type of putter I need to use?? I have a 180 Star Aviar and a 172 Pro-D Magnet. My putts always seem to hyzer and I would love to find one that will flatten out without messing with my motion too much... All opinions will be considered. Thanks.

there is no putter that will fix your game.

i'd suggest using the "putting confidence program".

Either of those putters should work well. If your putts are hyzering its most likely that you are not releasing them flat. It's like any other facet of the game, good practice is the remedy. Watch the Discraft vids on putting as well as the Dave Feldberg/Cam Todd vids on youtube. These will cover a few different styles that yo ucan try. There is no substitute for quality practice time. The putting confidence program(one of the Discraft vids that Kwick reccomended) is based on comitting to a program where you are putting in a bare minimum of 15 minutes 2X a day for a number of weeks/months. If you have the resources, a practice basket will help you more than any new putter(s) will. The only new putter I would even suggest would be to get another of whichever you like best that way you have 2 of the same mold/weight. This will help you have a consistent feel while putting.

try a lighter putter, something in the 168 range. better control and carry, without losing much stability at all.

Buy about 10 of your ideal weight putter and work on putting in 15 to 30 minutes of practice every day. It sounds extreme, but it has revolutionized my game. I'm upset with myself if I'm missing anything within 40 feet.

Try a lighter, less stable disc.

I have a 158 gram XD just for long super straight and anhyzer putts.
Its so light and floaty its almost hyzerless, like a Wham-O mini.

If this is overkill then just adjust one factor, either a more stable disc at a lighter weight, or a heavier understable disc.

Eventually you will find the combination that flies flat for you and your arm.

Wizard. Good reliable stable putter. Use your natural hyzer shot, but make it consistent by using a disc that does it well.

Practice + try a lighter putter + practice + release as you exhale + practice + confidence + practice = great putts, short and long.

Buy/make a practice basket. Improved my putting tremendously.

Try different methods to see what works best for you. Putting is all about timing and focus. I suggest browsing material on DGR and watching youtube videos for ideas. Try them all.

regardless how you choose to putt or what you choose to putt with, the biggest thing is practice. and I need to follow my own advice:wall:.

Pick one putter, stick with it, practice a bunch.

Also getting a basket is great. I got one recently and I love it. Very easy to get 20 minutes of practice in your yard.

I throw an Arrow for a putter, a hardly used Innova putter but it's got some of the sickest glide and it's 0 0 so it stays flat for as long as you snap it at the pin...fades to the left when it slows though just like everyone else says, gotta dart them in if you try to glide you should aim high and right...

Star Aviars are just not the for putting. They do well for approaching and driving though. If you hzer your putts too much, think about your release. Your hand should release flat and have a flat apprach to the basket. The actual disc doesn't matter that much, but I love my Voodoos. Oh yeah, and practice.

My game is all drive and my putting sucks a$$. Any tips on technique or type of putter I need to use?? I have a 180 Star Aviar and a 172 Pro-D Magnet. My putts always seem to hyzer and I would love to find one that will flatten out without messing with my motion too much... All opinions will be considered. Thanks.

The first question I wanna ask is: what is your body position during the putt?

I've been through a lot of different putting techniques and styles. From the usual right foot forward to a lefty set up with the left foot forward. I had the same problem as you for the longest time.

What I have now settled on is straddle putting, I feel that I can generate more power and the longer arm motion is much more comfortable for me.

I start out with a straight arm at the top of my motion, then bring my arm down and bend at the elbow slightly at the bottom of the motion. And then I bring the motion up to my release point and at the release point, I kinda put a controlled flick of the wrist at the release which results in some major spin on the disc. The spin, I think, is the biggest factor that keeps the disc on a more level and controllable flight path.

As for putters, I mostly use R-Pro Darts (169 and 171) but some pretty grippy DX Aviars come out the bag every now and then.

My favorite putter is a dx aviar P&A but i have been trying a gateway magic lately and it definately goes straighter for longer. If you are hyzering on short putts then there is definately something wrong with how you are putting.

I would also listen to what others have said and get a practice basket and practice often.

A Magic will stay straight longer than an Aviar.
But nothing will help as much as practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more.

One thing which helped me a lot was to focus on wrist extension and not so much throwing with the arm. Well, I guess this applies to about every shot in disc golf :)