• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting

MoWeems

This isn't how to putt or anything like that.
In casual play, I'm hitting putts practically 35 and in consistently. I haven't been able to play a tournament for about 6 months and I play about once a week. At that tournament, I could barely make half the 20 fters. Even during my warm up putting right before the round, consistent 25 fters. Any comments and/or suggestions for this to not happen again?

Yep, totally mental. It takes time, but they will eventually start falling in tourney's as long as you keep practicing and believe you're capable of making them!!!

Play more tournaments. Play skins for $$ with your friends. Play more than once a week. Practice putting at home. Your lack of ability to make putts in competition could also be exposing a flaw in your technique. Some styles have distinct advantages over others...

Just by posting here, I know it's in your head. Practice at home and get your confidence up, then don't practice right before the tournament. In fact, keep it out of your head as much as possible.

Also, make sure you are not putting from the same spot even during practice. Move around a lot.

Next time you get in a funk, start replacing your putter with your long distance driver. Then when you get 35-20 feet away, throw it as hard as you can at the basket.

Just kidding. I have the same problem with when I join into the tourney action. For some reason, I can find myself three to four putting. It's highly embarrassing and even more frustrating. What's helped me is starting to try as much as possible to push putt, just so that way if I DO miss the first time, I'm not doing anything more than a tap in after.

yup, totally mental. I had the same problem and stuff like playing on different baskets, near trouble, with new people, tournaments or even league would take quite a bit off of my comfort zone sometimes. Just clear your mind and say to yourself "this is cake, I've made this putt a million times before" and start sinking them. I try to think about as little as possible when putting aside from wind direction/speed. I decide weather I'm making it or laying up before I step up and as soon as I have stepped up I am commited, period. This keeps me from worrying about roll aways or three putts.

This isn't how to putt or anything like that.
In casual play, I'm hitting putts practically 35 and in consistently. I haven't been able to play a tournament for about 6 months and I play about once a week. At that tournament, I could barely make half the 20 fters. Even during my warm up putting right before the round, consistent 25 fters. Any comments and/or suggestions for this to not happen again?

you've been playing for 3.4 years. You can either putt or it's in your head. Practice will not increase your confidence if your issue is in tournaments.

A true tale of two friends.

Friend #1 is a really good putter. He has won numerous PDGA events. He has a practice routine he does in his backyard every Friday night. He has locations and goals to achieve. He can win on any given weekend.

Friend #2 has numerous skills but lacks confidence. He is a cigarette smoker who will not smoke inside his house. Every single time he goes outside to smoke he makes himself make 30 putts from 30ft before he can go back inside. He does this daily and numerous times.

While playing with both friends #1 makes 90% of his putts inside the circle. Player #2 makes about 40-50% and constantly complains and talks to himself about how come he can do it at home but not on the course.

Confidence does not come from 300 throws each week, it comes from making the throws when they count. Sometimes practice can create added pressure. Pressure busts pipes.

Thanks guys. I figured it was a confidence issue. Probably from the lack if practicing putting.

Feldberg talks about practicing game day putts. He completely imagines the whole process from walking up and marking the disc, to getting your putter out of the basket and replacing it in your bag. one putt at a time, envisioning the entire thing as though your in a tournament.

he details it very well on "learning the play, the champion way" or whatever the exact title is for his DVD with Ken Climo. Very good DVD, worth the $10

I really thinks it's even simpler than that. It's all about comfort. Once you step to your lie and get your feet in a comfortable position the only thing left to do is make the putt. I call that letting the magic take over. In my many playing years people have often asked me how I make so many so many sick and improbable putts. There is no answer. It happens. I think I can do it and I make the disc go in. Confidence goes a very long way.

I really thinks it's even simpler than that. It's all about comfort. Once you step to your lie and get your feet in a comfortable position the only thing left to do is make the putt. I call that letting the magic take over. In my many playing years people have often asked me how I make so many so many sick and improbable putts. There is no answer. It happens. I think I can do it and I make the disc go in. Confidence goes a very long way.

More wonderful words of wisdom from a pro. Thanks Chris! :thmbup:

I believe that over-thinking can harm the final score just as much as a lack of preparation.

I used to think about the comeback putt all the time. Thankfully, I have stopped that line of thinking and replaced it with by focusing on hitting a single link. While I do not keep stats on my putts, I feel that I have been hitting them more regularly.

Latest posts